Prescription Eye Glasses

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
I’m hitting that age I guess. My Eye Doctor gave me a lens prescription to help with my sight, other than the last 2 visits where he told me to get some readers. My distance is still really good but the average daytime distance stuff is starting to get blurry. And man, my eyes are very light sensitive.

This isn’t the usually question about fishing or what polarized glasses to get though, this is general. I see there are transition lenses, you can even get them polarized too. Nice but does anyone here have any experience with the new transitions on the market, regardless if they are polarized and work for fishing. My main question, if I bought these pricey glasses that transition, can I truly use them inside or am I better off getting a clear “indoor” pair and an “outdoor” pair?

Thanks!

Blackcat Outdoors

I’m hitting that age I guess. My Eye Doctor gave me a lens prescription to help with my sight, other than the last 2 visits where he told me to get some readers. My distance is still really good but the average daytime distance stuff is starting to get blurry. And man, my eyes are very light sensitive.

This isn’t the usually question about fishing or what polarized glasses to get though, this is general. I see there are transition lenses, you can even get them polarized too. Nice but does anyone here have any experience with the new transitions on the market, regardless if they are polarized and work for fishing. My main question, if I bought these pricey glasses that transition, can I truly use them inside or am I better off getting a clear “indoor” pair and an “outdoor” pair?

Thanks!
My wife has them and she likes them. They change pretty fast when you go inside. She's had hers for a couple years and is about ready for a new prescription, she says she will get them again.

I still use the cheap readers.

truecrimson

I've worn glasses since 3rd grade. My vision is bad enough that it doesn't fit in 20 format.

My experience with transitions has been that they work until I need to not have shades outdoors. They are transitioned based on light level, not user desire. So if there is ever a time outdoors when you would take your shades off, well, you will not have the option to take the shades off without taking off your prescription glasses.

Also I keep my phone screen pretty bright and that can cause them to transition.

I tried having a separate pair of prescription sunglasses. Every time you get new glasses there is an adjustment period where you are a little dizzy and off kilter. I had that feeling every time I swapped between shades and clears. So I gave up on that too.

I like clear lenses and the Cocoons over RX sunglasses. My wife says they make me look like an old guy who has his eyes dilated. But she already married me so I don't have to look good anymore ;)

Also I am strange when it comes to this stuff. I couldn't do tri focals, bi focals, or progressives. So I use single vision and lift my glasses up and squint at really small things ;) So you might do fine with transitions.

Melvinp

I've worn glasses since 3rd grade. My vision is bad enough that it doesn't fit in 20 format.

My experience with transitions has been that they work until I need to not have shades outdoors. They are transitioned based on light level, not user desire. So if there is ever a time outdoors when you would take your shades off, well, you will not have the option to take the shades off without taking off your prescription glasses.

Also I keep my phone screen pretty bright and that can cause them to transition.

I tried having a separate pair of prescription sunglasses. Every time you get new glasses there is an adjustment period where you are a little dizzy and off kilter. I had that feeling every time I swapped between shades and clears. So I gave up on that too.

I like clear lenses and the Cocoons over RX sunglasses. My wife says they make me look like an old guy who has his eyes dilated. But she already married me so I don't have to look good anymore ;)

Also I am strange when it comes to this stuff. I couldn't do tri focals, bi focals, or progressives. So I use single vision and lift my glasses up and squint at really small things ;) So you might do fine with transitions.
I’m with crimson all most 💯 percent except for 2 things I do really like my transitions and I have progressive bifocals (no line.I’ve had polarized clip ons for my glasses but wasn’t happy with them so out come the good old cocoons (Yellow lens) overall money spent well I won’t go there.

Don M

I thought we were talking prescription sun glasses. But I have a pair a of cheap barkley magnified (walmart) glasses. I see every rock, and can tie my knots (a lot of them LOL).

truecrimson

Yeah, it is surprising that no other major manufacturers have done it. I've got a pair in each car. Can't remember the lens colors. But both colors are supposed to help me see fish ;)

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
I’m going to stop back at the eye doctors on Tuesday. The girl who was there helping me admitted she was new and wasn’t sure about the transitions. My eyes were dilated and weeping at the time anyways so I could hardly see anything and told her to hold off on an order right now. I’ve since educated myself and hopefully there will be another person there to help.

The transitions do come in what they call XTRActive with 90% polarization so I am tempted to go with them.

Don

I’ve been wearing bifocal polaroids for 10 or 12 years for fishing and outdoor use. The tops are clear and the bottoms are readers. Last week I got glasses that were progressives. I returned them within 48 hours I lost two days of work due to vertigo, they’re getting me bifocals. That’s right with the line. I guess I’m old fashion. My distance vision is no longer good and I had to add prescription uppers to the bifocals. Can’t wait to get back. Once I am sure that the prescription is correct and that their workmanship is up to the mark, I’ll have them make sunglasses for me also.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
It amazes me, if I spend $300+ on fishing equipment, I walk out of the place with a smile. Walking out of the Eye Doctor's Office today, not so much. Go Figure! LOL

Now I just have to wait for them. I ended up getting the Transitions XTRActive with Polarization, Scratch Coating, Anti-Glare Coating whatever, they saw me coming. Fortunately we do have a pretty good eye care plan, a rarity these days and it kept the price roughly 45% of online retail costs.

I am looking forward to seeing a little more clearly and hopefully help to get rid of daily eye fatigue.