Punching, Pitching and flipping

Don

Help!

Is anyone punching mats and grassy beds with skirted punwieghts and plastics.
I saw something like that on one of TS's rigs.
My real question is why would or wouldn't the same offering do well in deep open water.

I'm heading out to Spruce run today. It has allot of 0-12' water and I can't see why punching wouldnt work well for a variety reasons there. It seems safer than drop shot for working edges of woody shores.

Solitario Lupo

The reason your fishing weeds and grassy bed is the fish are hiding waiting to attack. Fishing an open area is the exact same which your trying to find them laying in holes that they are hunting in. You may be fishing for them a little longer cause if your bait isn't presented right. They won't bite as quickly than in weeds.

Don

To all: Is most of the flipping you do actually a hybrid of pitching as well. The Idea of flipping seems to put Noisy Me too close to the fish where id be scaring them allot.
The video's I've watched online clearly define the two terms but it seems like Ive been doing both for years...just not for bass.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
To all: Is most of the flipping you do actually a hybrid of pitching as well. The Idea of flipping seems to put Noisy Me too close to the fish where id be scaring them allot.
The video's I've watched online clearly define the two terms but it seems like Ive been doing both for years...just not for bass.

From spinfishing for most of my life, I underhand flip cast so I guess I am a flipper. I have tried holding the lure in my other hand to "pitch" but it makes about as much sense to me as switching hands after casting so I do not do it.

If you are too close to your target when pitching or flipping, you are not using enough weight. If you believe that the weight is correct to your offering, then you are not using the correct rod / reel / line weight for your method but I say this with a HUGE caveat......I know you are just getting into the baitcasting game so I would recommend not changing anything and just continue to practice. An experienced person would make any equipment work.

Don

Yes I'm all hands with this. One of the reasons I went back to using pushbutton reels was for their smoothness in pitching. I Believe that the way flipping is defined (closed bail) it would be worthless with less than an 8-10' rod. I find both styles work well with my 6.5' BC rod but the flipping seems too close to the fish. I'll practice a bit over the winter.

A-5

Although I don’t always hold the bait I will do it. I believe I am more accurate holding and flip than just flipping

Solitario Lupo

Honestly I still have no idea what your talking about flipping/pitching. Sounds like casting and just learning on how to work your baits in the right areas. ;) I think it’s more of just get out there and fish. Even if it’s bobbing fishing.

Don

Yes Sol I basically agree but these two terms and many others have been bantered about in recent years. They are new terms that the Crackerjack Squads like A-5 and his minions adhere to. I need to perfectly grasp these concepts so that they have nothing on me. If by chance the practices work then I'm all the better for it. Remember that I didn't hardly fish for 45 years and I need to catch up.

I do take yins seriously (except TC) and if it weren't for this this site I'd probably still be catching 5" sunnies at the local park with bread balls.

Solitario Lupo

Don I know you like things explained in fine detail so I'll do my best to help out here let's pick it apart. I'll do my best with my own opinion.

My real question is why would or wouldn't the same offering do well in deep open water.
The reason being is you might be using line that is visible in open clear waters. Fish can be easily spooked. Remember heavy gear in weeded areas might not be as visible. Bigger lures might work in weeds to attract fish but might scare them away in open waters so downsizing will help.

Solitario Lupo

As what I've been trying to get at as just casting. I've done these methods with out even knowing. Even fishing for trout. It's basically on how comfortable you feel in certain situations. Same as me musky fishing I'll pitch if I have to or flip in smaller areas where I don't need to cast long.
I honestly wouldn't even know I do it as I cast whatever I feel to get the lure out there.

Reactions: Don

pabassman

Flipping and pitching are nothing other then a way to present a bait in shallower water with minimal disturbance. Both are best with a 7 to 7 1/2 foot heavy action rod. Heavy line, whatever type you prefer. Flipping is up close combat style fishing. Usually the bait it dropped at a target whether a hole in a weed bed, laydown, stump ect. Jigs and plastics are the most common baits. Once the initial flip is made the line is just lifted and dropped at another target. You're bait is usually only a few feet from the boat. You can cover water pretty quickly. Pitching is a little farther from the boat. I pitch a spinnerbait and a chatterbait along docks at night. Its really just a short cast but by sending it underhand I can get a quieter entry and be very precise. A bait two feet off the target will often be ignored but get it tight to the cover gets hit.

Don

I wouldn’t mind doing a bit more of these techniques at Gouldsboro in the coontail. Combined with some punch styled offerings it should pay off. I just never thought to try it before. I always was back a ways and casting.

Don

New thought!!!!!!
When using a SpinCast Rod and reel for flipping and pitching I seem to get to a point where I need to give it a good hard long cast and rewind in order to clear the spool of developing tangles. I'm thinking this may be as bad or worse with the Baitcasters. Do any of you find this to be the case in your experiences.

Last edited:

Solitario Lupo

If your getting knots and tangles on your spool you not picking up the slack in the line. Another reason why I close my bail with my hand on spin.

truecrimson

It's burying itself because of the slack in it. When it comes back onto the spool loose that provides the opportunity for it to get out of order, under itself, etc.

There are times, with regular spinning gear, that I will pull off a bunch of line, pinch it just ahead of the reel to give it tension, and reel it back in to eliminate slack that has been reeled up, very similar to your long cast. Sometimes I'll make a long cast like you do, pull out more until I get down to the line that is still tight, then pinch it ahead of the reel and reel up.

Thinking about this, I wonder if this has been my problem with spin cast gear. It seems like every time I use spin cast gear I eventually get a tangle so bad I have to disassemble the reel. Then I inevitably drop some small part and it turns from a reel into a piece of junk. I wonder if since I can't see the line I don't know the looseness is building up and building up until it's too late to fix easily.

Solitario Lupo

It won’t bury itself if it’s tight. Cast and just don’t crank it in. Cast and either look at your line if a lot is hanging out take and hold it above the reel with one hand then the other hand reel in slow to pick up slack. Or cast and actually lock bail then pull your rod tip close to the water. The water will pick up slack.

Another thing that causes slack in the line is sometimes working a lure like walking the dog. When you pull and stop causes slack. So you have to wind faster to pick up the line or use water weight.

Solitario Lupo

It's burying itself because of the slack in it. When it comes back onto the spool loose that provides the opportunity for it to get out of order, under itself, etc.

There are times, with regular spinning gear, that I will pull off a bunch of line, pinch it just ahead of the reel to give it tension, and reel it back in to eliminate slack that has been reeled up, very similar to your long cast. Sometimes I'll make a long cast like you do, pull out more until I get down to the line that is still tight, then pinch it ahead of the reel and reel up.

Thinking about this, I wonder if this has been my problem with spin cast gear. It seems like every time I use spin cast gear I eventually get a tangle so bad I have to disassemble the reel. Then I inevitably drop some small part and it turns from a reel into a piece of junk. I wonder if since I can't see the line I don't know the looseness is building up and building up until it's too late to fix easily.
I hate it when it gets under the spool and in that gear.

Don

I don't know Sol, seems like at least a few members are more concerned about pinching and tights. Anyway I get your message and I can see where certain practices, such as walking the dog may contribute. Thanks