Raritan Bay Stripers 04/03/2021

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
My buddy Brian and I hit Raritan Bay again today. Reports were that the Stripers are in and boy were they. This is my 7th or 8th? season chasing them and we've never seen the bay so loaded in numbers. That however would prove to be a little frustrating as the bite was stingy to say the least due to this cold snap and the traffic on the water. You could only catch one or two on one cadence style and that was it, it was like they became super educated that quick so changing up the retrieval style almost every cast was required. I've never seen it like that, usually one or two different styles can get you through the day but I have to admit, I love that aspect of fishing, it keeps me trying and thinking.

A few pics of my keeper sized catches although I did not keep any.

IMG_1095.jpeg

IMG_1101.jpeg

IMG_1105.jpeg

And then Brian's Winner of the day, 36". I think he reminded me 10-12 times on the ride home. LOL

IMG_1090.jpeg

It is VERY early in the season and these males are staging for the big girls to come in. I cannot wait to get back out there again, shooting for this week but we'll have to see what weather and work looks like for us.

MB3

I used to live not far from Raritan Bay. I always wanted to chase them on a kayak. My Dad and I used to fish for Blues from the shore. We had one our best days ever on an old boat he owned in Raritan Bay in my teens. Fish after fish after fish. Looks like you had a good day!

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
I used to live not far from Raritan Bay. I always wanted to chase them on a kayak. My Dad and I used to fish for Blues from the shore. We had one our best days ever on an old boat he owned in Raritan Bay in my teens. Fish after fish after fish. Looks like you had a good day!

Kayak is how I got started on saltwater fishing. It is really fun but man it is a lot of work and we put in some really long days. After a few years I said that’s it, I’m getting older and bought a boat.

Reactions: MB3

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
I miss that bay!

Sounds like you need to grab your significant other and take a ride one day. Visit Sandy Hook, visit some of the smaller towns, get a good slice of pizza and take it all in. It's not the "prettiest" place in the world with the surrounding industry and blue collar towns but it has it's charm for sure. And if you like watching boats, you can see some really big ones! Here's a pic of one yesterday, notice the "small" fishing boat on the lower left as a size comparison.

IMG_1109.jpeg