Raritan Bay

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Heading out tomorrow, wish me luck! Hoping I am one of the firsts to catch the Striper run. Last week was a bust, will this south push of weather this week be revealing?

I'll post back tomorrow....hopefully with pics! ;)

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
What a day! Lies, lies, all lies!

This is how it started, not even 10 minutes in.

A7A7005E-4DC6-4C2A-ACD0-234F0C7DB27D.jpeg

10 minutes later, we’re marking small schools of juvenile fish at Keyport flats. We continue to mark small schools for the next 2 hours but can’t buy a bite so we decide to head up to Raritan River for an “easy bite”, wrong!

At that point, we lose all power to the boat. It goes into gear, both forward and reverse but nothing else, no acceleration. We grab the tools, take apart the throttle, open up the engine and deduce that we have a broken acceleration cable. Other than tying a shoelace to the carb, we had one choice, idle back to the ramp and that is what we did. It took close to 2 hours to get there. We trailered up with our tail between our legs and went home but at the very least, we’re happy that we did not destroy a really good day as the big ones are yet to arrive.

Looking forward? to our next trip and I am quickly reminded as to why I bought a boat new, to avoid the issues. Yet, here I sit, supporting my buddy who bought a 18 year old boat. Ugh! Lol

Don

Great adventure. When on the flats are they in schools or are they randomly spread-out like flounder? I'm new to striper fishing. In the Summer at certain times you you can catch 12" stripers all day under the toll bridge in Easton.

Reactions: A-5

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Great adventure. When on the flats are they in schools or are they randomly spread-out like flounder? I'm new to striper fishing. In the Summer at certain times you you can catch 12" stripers all day under the toll bridge in Easton.

They are in schools almost always. Not to say you couldn’t catch the random one here and there but if you catch one, there is a great chance you’ll catch another.

No surprise to hear them caught there. Give them unobstructed access and they thrive.