Reading The Fishfinder

Don

The Hummingbird worked nicely today....I guess. It told me how deep the water was under the boat and whole bunch of other info that I didn't understand. I still say that the depth is the most important and most useful but to benefit the most I need to learn the other details. I've spoken to Z about this earlier this evening and mentioned that I would post some comments and photos.
-I have it temporarily mounted in order to determine if I like it there.
-Z said I can get rid of the fish symbol in lieu of the typical arches
-The sensitivity is set on 9. Is that the same as what some manufacturers call gain. It was suggested that the sensitivity should be lower for dirty water and higher for clear water.
-Will reducing the sensitivity clear up all the trash?
-The top Number on each screen is the depth and what is the second number right below it. Is the green clutter in the middle of the screen represent the thermocline?
I was hoping we could hash this out and I elected not to connect it with last years discussion as it was more about what brand to select. This thread is about how to operate this particular brand.
I'm shot, had a fun time, Yes I took the dog. This lake is magic but it may or may not be for me. We will see. Hoping for comments. Good night.

Attachments

• IMG_3414.jpeg
    IMG_3414.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3412.jpeg
    IMG_3412.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3401.jpeg
    IMG_3401.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3398.jpeg
    IMG_3398.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 20

Don

Of course. He caught site of a couple ritz crackers as they passed from me to he. That makes his day. Then later he got to like up some smashed sun beaten bait. He loves fishing.
Did the dog catch anything?

Attachments

• A20A310A-B384-40E8-A2F2-8D7D18364DEA.jpeg
    A20A310A-B384-40E8-A2F2-8D7D18364DEA.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:

pabassman

The Hummingbird worked nicely today....I guess. It told me how deep the water was under the boat and whole bunch of other info that I didn't understand. I still say that the depth is the most important and most useful but to benefit the most I need to learn the other details. I've spoken to Z about this earlier this evening and mentioned that I would post some comments and photos.
-I have it temporarily mounted in order to determine if I like it there.
-Z said I can get rid of the fish symbol in lieu of the typical arches
-The sensitivity is set on 9. Is that the same as what some manufacturers call gain. It was suggested that the sensitivity should be lower for dirty water and higher for clear water.
-Will reducing the sensitivity clear up all the trash?
-The top Number on each screen is the depth and what is the second number right below it. Is the green clutter in the middle of the screen represent the thermocline?
I was hoping we could hash this out and I elected not to connect it with last years discussion as it was more about what brand to select. This thread is about how to operate this particular brand.
I'm shot, had a fun time, Yes I took the dog. This lake is magic but it may or may not be for me. We will see. Hoping for comments. Good night.
Second number should be water temp

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
That fish finder does not have many adjustments. Gain is the same as sensitivity. When you get over some good long red arches, you’ll know you’re seeing fish and can adjust down the gain to weed out debris and bait.

Reactions: Don

Don

Troutspinster and PA. Thanks. I have said some dumb things over the years, I’m good at it. I just noticed the *F next to the lower of the two big numbers in the upper left. So it is depth over temp. Z and TS thanks for the sensitivity (gain?) comments. I see how that works in simulator mode.
Thanks. Now on to learning to identify images. Fun.

pabassman

You will likely need to adjust for water depth. If youre fishing 12 feet then decide to go to 100 feet. Surface clutter is easy just dont make big change at once.

Here are your "trees". Thats really a school of stripers You can see a big boulder they are hanging by.Screenshot 2021-12-29 6.16.30 PM.pngScreenshot 2021-12-29 6.16.17 PM.png

Don

sounds good everyone. and the reason that the stripers are elongated is because they didn't move away out of the cone? So they just get longer ...

Don

Nothing on either of those screens look anything like fish to me but I've been told to look for arches with a little yellow (air bladder). Assuming that the suspended clutter in the middle of the page is the bait then it stands to reason the the larger singular object are the predators. Have I circled any stripers or aren't there any in the screenshot?

Attachments

• IMG_3416.jpeg
    IMG_3416.jpeg
    25.5 KB · Views: 5

pabassman

Nothing on either of those screens look anything like fish to me but I've been told to look for arches with a little yellow (air bladder). Assuming that the suspended clutter in the middle of the page is the bait then it stands to reason the the larger singular object are the predators. Have I circled any stripers or aren't there any in the screenshot?
I would guess the lower left corner is a bass, big perch ect. The rest is bait. This is a massive school, THOUSANDS bunched togrther. If you think the simulator mode is going to recreate actual views youre in for major disappoiment. Boat movement makes things look a little different. I learned a lot by using my graph on the ice. Its perfectly still so anything that moves shows up and can be easily seen. Not really sure what youre expecting?? If you think a bluegil will show up on the screen shaped like a bluegill or a trout will look like a trout??

Don

I see well I'm not giving up. I have a little more idea of what I'm after. I'keep looking at it as I fish. Nice to know the temp and the depth.