Reading The Fishfinder

Don

I think Boot nailed it. Still, if sitting still it should be somewhat clearer.

truecrimson

I the case of the last one 9.7’, 60* water temp., you’re traveling at .35 mph over the bottom and the fish are drawing 12.6 volts as they swim.

Lastly get your feet out of the water. Build yourself some outriggers.
I told you my feet in the water is a feature, not a bug, In even if my feet are in waders, synthetic socks, and old sneakers ;)

Solitario Lupo

Alrighty I give it a shot. When your in 5 feet of water you really going to scare the fish out from under you so in that pic with the red shooting up from the bottom is a tree. The other with the red in a circle shape on the bottom are rocks. Soft bottom has no red color. Also shallow water your sonar cone signal is not as wide.

As for the top being in color is what it looks like is your getting a second return signal or whatever theys call it. It will happen.

As for the blue in the middle can be fish or debris floating in the waters. You can change your sensitivity to pick up more or less. As I see your jig lines so sensitivity must be up on it.

pabassman

Me too! The only thing that is defining to me is in image #1, the vertical red (red is a harder return) that it could be standing timber. The blobs I see with alot of red could be rocks. The blue blobs and streaks above, I'm clueless, maybe some small baitfish or debris? I rarely use traditional sonar except when in saltwater. In freshwater, I use down and side imaging as the returns are very defined and determining is it's a rock, tree, etc. is easier.
I'd say tree or very thick weeds. There are some suspended fish on the one or two pics. I agree with Boot the ducer doesnt look stable. That will give you weird readings.

Don

Did much better with the fish finder yesterday marked some saw very few. Mostly in 8'-32' and the fish were usually marked btwn 4 and 18'. I kept the sensitivity deliberately on 3 (3 out of 10). That way I saw more bottom definition and very little clutter. When I get better I'll probable work it up towards 4-6. Not sure I understand chart speed.

Don

Here is a question for the rock hunters. On Monday I rarely spotted fish on the finder out in deeper waters. When I did they were all at10-12' deep in 20-40 feet of water. Usually singly or 2-3 at a time. I'm assuming that the 2-3 are Crappy or Carp and the singles are lakers or salmon, possibly even a large pickerel. I don't really have the right boat for open water so for now I've ceased trying. I mostly see fish, as expected, near structure , along shore and in less than 16 feet. On Monday the only fish I landed were in less than 6'. A-5 recommended that I fish drop-offs and, Knowing where they are, I scouted around and saw nothing on the screen. not even near rocks or submerged stumps. These drop-offs were abrupt Went from 16' to 40' in as many feet of travel. There were no visible fish on the finder. I had no strikes. should I have continued in the absence of visual fish.
All my catches came from the shady sides of forested shoreline. 2-6' in depth.

A-5

Well. The fish may not have pulled back yet.

Winter they start then spring

Deep shallower shallow spawn shallow shallower deep …summer

The fish could be in any of the evolution said above

Don

But if they are on the drop off no matter how tight they are holding I should see their bladder on the finder?

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
I was out for a couple of hours this morning and did not see anything of size on drop offs. At that point, I knew I was fishing the bank / wood. I did see some spawn / chase activity as well at the banks. I was hoping Nockamixon was further ahead of Blue Marsh in the spawn and the fish would already be pulled back just due to day by day warmer temps but they do not appear to be. So in your case, I would wager the lakes you are fishing are still well into spawn and a majority of them are up close to the banks.

Reactions: A-5

Don

Okay. Just checking with the Pro's. Making sure that I'm reading things correctly.

Other than that they are done with spawning, what else makes them move out. Will it be the heat and the brightness?

Is it correct that LMB don't suspend much and also that the bigger ones travel singly and not in groups? More related to bait and food than each other?

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Will it be the heat and the brightness?
Yep. If you have a shoreline that you know will get beat by the sun, hit that in the morning and evening when the sun is not on it. When the sun comes up, pull out and fish ledges or thick vegetation that blocks the sun.

Is it correct that LMB don't suspend much and also that the bigger ones travel singly and not in groups? More related to bait and food than each other?

I see Bass in groups all the time but they are always relating to some type of structure. Bass don't like other bass in their "personal" space so you'll see them as single fish, about a fish length or so away from another, in all directions.

As for the bigger ones....your guess is as good as mine! I've read that the really big ones are solitary, it makes sense, nothing wants to be eaten by them. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Don

Don

There is very little vegetation on this lake yet and there are no lilipads that I can see anywhere. Weird for me.

A-5

Soooo. We caught a nice one Sunday morning. Funny as I take the pick I note the big hump on the fish Finder. Lol

Don

7'?

I found plenty of those humps and stumps in deeper water but there just weren't and fish. The fish were all shallower and cruising back and forth along the banks.
The water was so clear that the fish could see my every cast and I think I'd have faired better if the water had some murkiness in it.

Don

After June 12th I want to put a few of these bass into my freezer. 3 or 4 will do.