Rigging questions

Don

I always seem to do well with Kieteck Shiners, 2, 3 and 4". Normally I may fish them with just a #6 bait holder stuck sideways through the head but there were too many weeds there we were yesterday to enjoy open hooks. So, I in stalled a small egg (1/8th or 1/10thoz) then a swivel, then a 1'-2' 6lb leader. At her end was a #ewg hook (hard to find) with a 3" shiner tied in the normal weedless way. took about twenty casts but I did manage a nice black-eyed Pickerel. This summer I'll be fishing more weedy lakes as Merrill Creek is closed in the evenings now. So I'm trying to be weedless as much as possible.

How would you rig a Kieteck shiner for weedless?

This particular lake it seems Alice Cooper did all the makeup. The black eye stripe seems very pronounced making these fish look evil.pickerel1.jpg

Don

And is standard EWG as good or better than twistlock hooks for the 3” minnows?
Seems to me that the spring on the twist locks are too Big and will either come loose too easily or they’ll destroy the bait or both.

Don

I guess Jigheads are nice as well but I can’t see casting to shore with them. By rigging with the CR and a leader the minnow doesn’t engage the bottom real heavily making it even more weedless.

Solitario Lupo

Thought you already had all those supplies you needed for weedless fishing.
Texas rig.
Run your bullet weight on the line then any worm hook you feel comfy with. Make sure you run the plastic up to the hook point.
I would put the bullet weight on the heavier line then a barrel swivel then a small leader to the bait.

Don

I would put the bullet weight on the heavier line then a barrel swivel then a small leader to the bait.
Yes, probably, I just wanted to confirm it with you pros. but isn’t what you describe, with the swivel, called a Carolina Rig?

truecrimson

There are about a million similar rigs with slight variations between them. Where the weight goes, swivel or not, what type of swivel, what type of weight, etc. I can never remember which particular variation goes with which state.

truecrimson

Basically.

I've seen people say T rig is no leader and C rig has a leader.

Others will say both can have a leader but T has the weight on the leader and C rig has it above the swivel.

Some say only barrel swivels for one, or both.

Others say snap swivels count.

Some say a tear drop style weight hanging from a snap swivel then a leader counts as one or the other or both.

Some say that's blasphemy.

Some say stick a toothpick in a barrel or bullet sinker.

Some say let it slide.

Some say a jig counts. Some say no way.

Some old guys use antique bobber stops they got at flea markets. (And doesn't your dog have enough fleas by now?)

So it really does come down to each person has their own preference for how to rig it. Most people have more then one way that changes with conditions.

Sometime last year I think, or maybe the year before, someone posted a pic with a bunch of the variations.

Reactions: Don

A-5

I say. Senko ned jig jig jig jig jig. Maybe drop shot. Then September Carolina rig then salmon starts