Roaring Creek Tract/Weisser Forest/Shamokin Reservoir???

truecrimson

I pass by it on my way to and from work 4 days a week. Thought I might stop and try it out after one of my 8 hour days.

Any info, recommendations, or information anyone can share?

truecrimson

Stopped yesterday for an hour or 2. No fish caught.

If you can't hike it isn't good. If you can it's ok. I am borderline. Lots of walking, varied terrain. Pretty rocky in some places. Had to climb over downed trees ranging from 4 inches in diameter to one's I could not straddle but had to get up on and then jump down on the other side. I went slower going in than coming out, so I was pretty winded when I got to the car.

There is a railtrail through the place from one lake/parking area to the others. It is some distance from the lake shore so the hikers and bikers are not up your butt. There is a much less well developed trail along the lake for fishermen. There are numerous cut ins and I saw corn in the water at some of them and a dead shiner at another.

There are 3 lakes between 2 state roads. 54 is the side I stopped on, with Shamokin Reservoir. That's on the way to/from my current full time job. I have been past the other end in my travels for the part time job before but cannot recall the road over there.

My coworkers recommend the other end of the park(s) but admit they have not fished it.

I ran in to some kids fishing. They were getting dropped off by their mother when I arrived. They went down a mountain goat trail to fish near the parking lot which is a lot higher than the lake there. I ran into them again on my way out and they reported 1 bass caught and released.

You have to walk a ways on the fishing trail to get down to where the trail is at lake elevation and there are cut ins.

There are signs that say no boats at this lake, but my online research indicates at least rudimentary boat launches at the other 2 lakes. The interesting thing there is that the middle lake is some distance from either gate blocking the rail trail on each end. So I assume these launches are for craft that you could drag or carry in.

I work 8 hour shifts Wednesday and Thursday so I will probably stop in on some of those days.

I used a variety of Rapala and Panther Martin's, and some curly tail grubs. The kids that caught the bass were using worms.

I went to the right from the parking area facing the lake. Next time I might go left, towards the dam. Not sure if you can get on the dam or fish from it but it's probably worth a shot.

Screenshot_20230428_112409_Gallery.jpg

Melvinp

Stopped yesterday for an hour or 2. No fish caught.

If you can't hike it isn't good. If you can it's ok. I am borderline. Lots of walking, varied terrain. Pretty rocky in some places. Had to climb over downed trees ranging from 4 inches in diameter to one's I could not straddle but had to get up on and then jump down on the other side. I went slower going in than coming out, so I was pretty winded when I got to the car.

There is a railtrail through the place from one lake/parking area to the others. It is some distance from the lake shore so the hikers and bikers are not up your butt. There is a much less well developed trail along the lake for fishermen. There are numerous cut ins and I saw corn in the water at some of them and a dead shiner at another.

There are 3 lakes between 2 state roads. 54 is the side I stopped on, with Shamokin Reservoir. That's on the way to/from my current full time job. I have been past the other end in my travels for the part time job before but cannot recall the road over there.

My coworkers recommend the other end of the park(s) but admit they have not fished it.

I ran in to some kids fishing. They were getting dropped off by their mother when I arrived. They went down a mountain goat trail to fish near the parking lot which is a lot higher than the lake there. I ran into them again on my way out and they reported 1 bass caught and released.

You have to walk a ways on the fishing trail to get down to where the trail is at lake elevation and there are cut ins.

There are signs that say no boats at this lake, but my online research indicates at least rudimentary boat launches at the other 2 lakes. The interesting thing there is that the middle lake is some distance from either gate blocking the rail trail on each end. So I assume these launches are for craft that you could drag or carry in.

I work 8 hour shifts Wednesday and Thursday so I will probably stop in on some of those days.

I used a variety of Rapala and Panther Martin's, and some curly tail grubs. The kids that caught the bass were using worms.

I went to the right from the parking area facing the lake. Next time I might go left, towards the dam. Not sure if you can get on the dam or fish from it but it's probably worth a shot.

View attachment 5018
So you got out fished by a bunch of kids lol should have went commando on the and tracked their every move (kids now the hot spots)

truecrimson

Well, they were kids. I felt I should let them win. It would hardly be fair or right for me to massively outfits them with my advanced skill and years of experience ;)

Don

TC my cousin owns the bait shop in Treverton up the road. Sells allot of stuff to people that fish there. Plus he has hunted, biked and fished there. He says that the rt42 side is best for Pickerel and panfish and the middle lake is where the bigger bass are. Good luck. See you Sat ur Day.

Last edited: