Rod power described

Don

I had never realized the different possibilities and/or necessities for specific rods. This business of learning BC fishing has made me watch more YouTube’s and read allot more. This forum helped as well.
Check my thoughts:
Stiffer , shorter: skipping, 6’8-10”, f, MH
Longer, stiffer: flipping, punching, trees,7-7’6”, f,MH
Longer, softer: open water. 7-8’, M-F, M-MH

HenryDavid

I've always been fascinated by the St. Croix - Mojo bass fly rods. 7-foot 11-inches and stiff as a broom, designed to throw heavy streamer patterns and bulky flies. I have a couple of cheaper rods in that style, 8-foot 6 & 7 weights but I've only used them on smaller streams where they seem like overkill. If I get on some bigger waters this spring I want to give them a full tryout. Definitely not the rod for dry flies or nymphing.

truecrimson

I had never realized the different possibilities and/or necessities for specific rods. This business of learning BC fishing has made me watch more YouTube’s and read allot more. This forum helped as well.
Check my thoughts:
Stiffer , shorter: skipping, 6’8-10”, f, MH
Longer, stiffer: flipping, punching, trees,7-7’6”, f,MH
Longer, softer: open water. 7-8’, M-F, M-MH
I'm just walking away. Keeping my mouth shut and walking away. :oops:

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
One thing I don't think many people take into consideration with rod length is your personal height. A person who is 6' vs. a 5'-6" can use a longer rod for flipping, especially when wading in a stream. For example, I've always ran my trout rods at 5'-1" whereas my 6'-0" friend runs them at 5'-6". If I use his, I smack the water as I cannot get to where my power comes in. I guess it's kind of like having the correct sized clubs when golfing?

Anyways, my point is that the lengths you've mentioned Don, power and action are a good starting point but don't commit yourself until you find your comfort zone with any given technique. I know you are on a crash learning course and eager to get out there, take the knowledge you've gathered and go find one thing that you like, enjoy and fits perfect. It will give you a great baseline for other techniques.

Chasing Bass is not easy once you gain knowledge LOL. When we were kids, we threw on a nightcrawler with our Zebco poles and just caught. It doesn't seem so easy today now that I "think" I know what I am doing. :)

HenryDavid

"When we were kids, we threw on a nightcrawler with our Zebco poles and just caught." Truth !! Picking crawlers off the grass at night was a sport by itself. Or whatever you could scrounge up to put on a hook. Then I discovered something called a Mr. Twister, that's when the world changed for me. Didn't have jig heads, just a black twister on a bare hook, cast out as far as I could (which wasn't far) let it sink, and just let it sit, eventually the line would start to tighten up and hooked into a bass.

Solitario Lupo

Mr twister. Lol. Same thing I used bare hook a couple splits and just wind in. Mine was grey with silver glitter.

If I go for large mouth in the lakes and really wanna catch one I’ll use my small curly tail grub and do the same thing. Still do it.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
"When we were kids, we threw on a nightcrawler with our Zebco poles and just caught." Truth !! Picking crawlers off the grass at night was a sport by itself. Or whatever you could scrounge up to put on a hook. Then I discovered something called a Mr. Twister, that's when the world changed for me. Didn't have jig heads, just a black twister on a bare hook, cast out as far as I could (which wasn't far) let it sink, and just let it sit, eventually the line would start to tighten up and hooked into a bass.
I remember when we discovered Helgeamites. The real ones. That fishing was awesome! A bass on every cast and you could catch 4-5 out of every helgramite. River only though. We tried them at a pond and the Bass laughed at us. :)

HenryDavid

Mr twister. Lol. Same thing I used bare hook a couple splits and just wind in. Mine was grey with silver glitter.

If I go for large mouth in the lakes and really wanna catch one I’ll use my small curly tail grub and do the same thing. Still do it.
I remember trying to add weight, but it didn't work as well. This was a small farm pond we fished as kids but it had some big bass. It was the slow fall of the black twister, and the leech like appearance on the bottom that got them.

Don

I guess it's kind of like having the correct sized clubs when golfing?
I'm proud of how patient all of you folks are with learning me the ropes of Bass but My real goal is still Pickerel and someday N.Pike. All of this stuff I'm learning right now is necessary. Necessary in order to catch any prize fish, and I love it, but I will not golf for fish. I went to Fleas all summer and really enjoyed some of the old bargains I got. In many of the pile I bout there were some modern rods....some of them were casting rods....that is my starting point. As time goes by I'll make purchases based on experience. Zoom in to the photos below. You'll see I have allot of yesterdays good stuff and will sort through it in time. Never paid more than 3-5$ and it usually had a sellable reel to boot. Enough reels to re-build for a lifetime (hobby).

Attachments

• IMG_2593.JPG
    IMG_2593.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2592.JPG
    IMG_2592.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 6

Bootfoot

I’ve never had a problem fishing a rubber worm on the same spinning rod I fish a jerk bait, topwater frog or anything else off of. My rods have multipurposes and multi-species and I have no reason to change from that. I don’t care to hear what rod manufacturers want to sell me. ignorance is bliss and I have mastered ignorant more than they have mastered marketing.

Melvinp

One thing I don't think many people take into consideration with rod length is your personal height. A person who is 6' vs. a 5'-6" can use a longer rod for flipping, especially when wading in a stream. For example, I've always ran my trout rods at 5'-1" whereas my 6'-0" friend runs them at 5'-6". If I use his, I smack the water as I cannot get to where my power comes in. I guess it's kind of like having the correct sized clubs when golfing?

Anyways, my point is that the lengths you've mentioned Don, power and action are a good starting point but don't commit yourself until you find your comfort zone with any given technique. I know you are on a crash learning course and eager to get out there, take the knowledge you've gathered and go find one thing that you like, enjoy and fits perfect. It will give you a great baseline for other techniques.

Chasing Bass is not easy once you gain knowledge LOL. When we were kids, we threw on a nightcrawler with our Zebco poles and just caught. It doesn't seem so easy today now that I "think" I know what I am doing. :)
Very good point

Melvinp

I’ve never had a problem fishing a rubber worm on the same spinning rod I fish a jerk bait, topwater frog or anything else off of. My rods have multipurposes and multi-species and I have no reason to change from that. I don’t care to hear what rod manufacturers want to sell me. ignorance is bliss and I have mastered ignorant more than they have mastered marketing.
You mean when the salesman puts the rod to his throat and says can you feel that then takes a cheap rod the squeeze’s it tighter and tell you the same thing

Bootfoot

Part of it might also be that I have not an ounce of finesse in me. I generally can’t feel the difference in rods where others apparently can. One rod feels pretty much like the next to me.

Solitario Lupo

I’m with bootfoot. I get a reel and rod for the fish I’m going after then I make it do the cast I want. Never had just a specific rod for how I’m casting or what I’m putting on it. For species yes.

Don M

I like a light the lightest action, for the water I'm fishing. with the exception of if I'm on a head boat, then the heaviest rod I have. The power also depends on the water.