Rod power described

Solitario Lupo

I'm proud of how patient all of you folks are with learning me the ropes of Bass but My real goal is still Pickerel and someday N.Pike. All of this stuff I'm learning right now is necessary. Necessary in order to catch any prize fish, and I love it, but I will not golf for fish. I went to Fleas all summer and really enjoyed some of the old bargains I got. In many of the pile I bout there were some modern rods....some of them were casting rods....that is my starting point. As time goes by I'll make purchases based on experience. Zoom in to the photos below. You'll see I have allot of yesterdays good stuff and will sort through it in time. Never paid more than 3-5$ and it usually had a sellable reel to boot. Enough reels to re-build for a lifetime (hobby).
Think you have enough gear. Starting to look like a little shop. Haha 🙂

You say you just want pickerel but you know you got the fishing bug when you buying everything but stuff for pickerel lol.

truecrimson

Is there stuff for pickerel? I catch them on Rapalas and soft plastics. I guess the pickerel out here don't know they are supposed to wait for pickerel gear ;)

truecrimson

Wow, he talks a lot about retrieving faster. That means that I am always fishing for pickerel, even though I say I'm not, and Don never is, even though he claims to be all the time ;)

Don

Yes Professor! you profess correctly. I learned by experiment late in the summer that speed is the difference. I was standing in the boat and watched numerous pickerel following the bait in as I was reeling. Once I could see the fish I slowed down and the fish swam off. when I increased the speed it induced more interest and/or even a strike. Essentially The only difference between Bass fishing and Pickerel fishing in this lake is speed and depth. Pickerel like their bait up out of the weeds and cooking along. Bass like their bait down under and just nudging about but the baits are usually very simple. The bass bait often need weight to get down there. Thats why I said about all this learning being necessary that I'm learning now...the baits , the colors, the gear. Its all the same but with a small bit of theme and variation. I've read Sol's article several times since it was first written and but I didn't understand it all. I had to go do it a little to understand the next level.