Rod Protection

Don

Slowly I've been collecting either nice new stuff or collector quality old stuff. Either way I hate that it gets all marred and nicked over time. I don't have rod holders for the vehicle and they basically just go into the pickup bed and batter each other wherever I go. The fly rods are in tubes as I de-reel them every time I use them. When I go spinning/baitcast fishing I usually use 5-6 rods and I'd hate to have to disassemble them every time. They go unprotected in the boat/cars and truck. Short of buying a boat with a locker like to store them all in how should I protect them.

What do you do?

Don

I was referring to you when I mentioned buying a boat with rod lockers to store them in. You ears must've been burning❤️‍🔥👩‍🚒. I've seen the rod covers. In fact I've seen your rod covers but I don't recall a reel cover. If you have some free time later perhaps a photo would be possible.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
I was referring to you when I mentioned buying a boat with rod lockers to store them in. You ears must've been burning❤️‍🔥👩‍🚒. I've seen the rod covers. In fact I've seen your rod covers but I don't recall a reel cover. If you have some free time later perhaps a photo would be possible.
Ha! Sometimes the obvious humor eludes me….I am blonde ya know. ;)

Pic for reference. You can get similar ones at Dicks or at your favorite online fishing store.

480D7E04-048A-4510-9844-775242BAD14C.jpeg

truecrimson

When I had the Traiblazer I had made rod holders using Berkeley rod holders and garment racks. I kept all of our rods in them.
20130602105345.jpg

20130602105354.jpg20130602105402.jpg20130602105411.jpg20130602105421.jpg20130602105429.jpg

Since we got rid of the Trailblazer I put the short ones, or multi piece ones in the trunk on top of the other gear, and the 1 piece rods go between the seats front to back. I saw someone making rod tubes out of PVC was thinking of running some down either side of the Ride inside. The front hatch on the Ride is big enough to get rods through, and I have put rods in there loose for transport before. The Yellowfin 's hatch is too small to get them in.

You could make PVC rod tubes for in your truck, or do what A-5 did, or do something like I did in the pics above.

Reactions: Don

Melvinp

Lol a giant pile during transport most of the time but I built a rod holder in the boat to control some of the unused rods while fishing.I also have one of those nylon strap rod holders that you put inside your vehicle on the roof that I’ve spread across the boat for long distance traveling it holds 8 rods off the bottom of the boat so they don’t get smashed by a rolling anchor or sliding seat.

Attachments

• 75475542-FEF2-4C9F-8E9C-9DF98E55568D.jpeg
    75475542-FEF2-4C9F-8E9C-9DF98E55568D.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 7

truecrimson

The set I used in the Trailblazer was round on 1 and grooved on the other. It's the first set below. There are also sets with 2 grooved racks, like in the 2nd pic below. You can munt them on a side like in the 3rd pic, but when looking at boat pics on craigslist I saw a lot mounted flat on the seats.

74c6701d-5d84-4bb3-a4ec-792dc1f645fa_1.f9e04309c100ec6359ed7033af5f0de6 (1).jpg225206_ts.jpg184250_ts.jpg

Then there are the big PVC rod tubes.

How I Made My Rod Pod for less than $100. It saves you about $400

DIY Rod Tube

Don

Yes I'v made plenty of pvc tubes and they work but I want to leave the reels on and the rigs ready to fish. I'll be watching these vids tonight.

truecrimson

Yeah, you do leave reels on and them rigged, at least in the small tubes and the Berkley's. I left them rigged in the trailblazer with those.