Rods weaken overtime

Solitario Lupo

So once again came across something I thought was interesting. Read that rods weaken overtime. Feel any difference in them. What’s your thoughts on this.

Blackcat Outdoors

Might be some truth to it, but I still have the ugly stick I got when I was 12 and it still seems fine to me (for an ugly stick). That's gotta be like at least 10 years old now. 😁😁

truecrimson

I still use my Daiwa Samurai Medium. It was the first rod I bought when I got back into fishing, so ~2004 or so. Doesn't feel any different.

Back home mom has ALL the rods any of us ever bought or were given in our youth, and some we inherited from grandparents. Reels that Don, and Don would like a lot.

My nephews and niece were using them in 2019 when we were down for Christmas. Didn't seem to have deteriorated much.

Outside San Antonio area, Castroville, they stock trout in the Medina river in the cold months, December and January. The trout won't survive the spring, let alone summer. But it gives kids that would never see trout otherwise a chance to catch them.

"Kids" is a relative term. While there were young ones out there one nephew already dropped out of college, the other is in the army off in Florida for AIT, and the niece is graduating high school this years. Looks like time will be harder on them than on the rods.

Bootfoot

I think people just look for something to write about. Guides have broke, cork broke, reel seat broke but I never had a rod wear out from old age. I have rods from my father that have no sign of weakening. I’m calling this a classic example of someone needing to hear themselves talk. Kind of like what I’m doing right now.