Setting the Hook

A-5

The angry hook set is the biggest crock of crap on steelhead it’s unbelievable I go from about 10 o’clock to 2 o’clock with a nice little swoop with a 13 foot rod I have no problems hooking fish as far as bass the monster hook set that is fun

Solitario Lupo

I’m not really a hook setter ever. I’m still struggling with centerpin. A kid that catches many hundreds and lives on SR all year about gave me an earring every time he set the hook. If the steelhead didn’t take the bead that float would come flying back hundreds of feet and almost take us all out.
That’s cause he was no good at line flossing them so the snagger in him set in.

Gremcat

That’s cause he was no good at line flossing them so the snagger in him set in.
Nah, it’s a float rod, not really useful for that “style”. When they pull the float down they quickly realize the bead is hard not a real egg. You have to set the hook before they spit it. I was amazed at how far a soft 14’ rod can yank back a float.

I’ve a ton of beads but my few steelhead have been on soft plastics, nymphs, or live minnows. I’m not sure if I’m not fast enough or I just notice the take too late. I even have custom pink top floats so I can tell mine from others if 4-5 people are drifting the same area. Nice thing about western PA. Everyone I’ve seen uses floats so you can drift together all day and no one ever tangles. Just reel in at end of drift and cast back to top of drift politely. Maybe seen a crossed line once and it was me choking on a cast.

Solitario Lupo

Bead fishing is a snagging method. The bead is pegged 1 to 2 in above the hook with a bare hook. It’s more like line flossing them so if your pulling hard to set the hook your not doing it right. Don’t care what rod it’s the style of fishing and is starting to become illegal way of fishing for them so I would watch bead fishing from now on. If you are don’t keep any.

The float is for you to see when the bead is in the mouth. Or any float style method once the float stops and goes under quick you should always set the hook. Even if you think it’s a snag. They will hit and spit quick so gotta just be fast at it.

Germ you’ll be surprised how easy some are to snag. I’ve snagged them floating a size 12 fly. Get them in the net and it’s not in the mouth lol.

Last edited:

Gremcat

Bead fishing is a snagging method. The bead is pegged 1 to 2 in above the hook with a bare hook. It’s more like line flossing them so if your pulling hard to set the hook your not doing it right. Don’t care what rod it’s the style of fishing and is starting to become illegal way of fishing for them so I would watch bead fishing from now on. If you are don’t keep any.

The float is for you to see when the bead is in the mouth. Or any float style method once the float stops and goes under quick you should always set the hook. Even if you think it’s a snag. They will hit and spit quick so gotta just be fast at it.

Germ you’ll be surprised how easy some are to snag. I’ve snagged them floating a size 12 fly. Get them in the net and it’s not in the mouth lol.
There’s a good video on YouTube of centerpin floats and beads on how to set. I don’t see how you could floss them that way. I could see it with other styles but not really a float/centerpin. By the time it flossed then with a centerpin and set hook they’d be long gone.

I’ve seen some guys that where good in huge channels of water catch them repeatedly on a bead and they’d change when they’d stop and switch to another size/color to get them. I ran identical with an 8mm instead of 6mm and caught 0.

A-5

8A5441F1-AB85-4528-BDB9-FAB3FC0F4245.png

Solitario Lupo

Last couple years heard a lot of people getting tickets for bead fishing. Saying the officers said it was illegal. All going on up in Erie.

Glad to see they went the other way so no one should have any problems. (y)

Reactions: A-5

Gremcat

I could see it with egg sacks in shallow water or something. Salmon yep I don’t buy that Kings hit like some say. Don’t think all are mouth snagged but more than not I suspect. Seen all kinds of odd steelhead behavior in Erie mostly so won’t second guess any method. Weird huge jigs to them chasing tiny lip hooked minnows top water around my feet. Every trip it’s entirely different.

pabassman

The angry hook set is the biggest crock of crap on steelhead it’s unbelievable I go from about 10 o’clock to 2 o’clock with a nice little swoop with a 13 foot rod I have no problems hooking fish as far as bass the monster hook set that is fun
I hit'em lke they owe me money lol

Randy Z

Don the rigs you use may be a bit much to catch fish! Im only going from our 1 time fishing together. But the time we went out, i thought you were fishing for 60 pound flatheads with your rig. Scale down brother!!! Jig something small, and work your way up!

truecrimson

Seen lots of underwater videos of people jerking a bait out of a fish's mouth.

Also seen lots of videos where they waited to set and the fish spit it.

I'm not sure there is a right answer here except try different things.