Setting Up a little girl for all types of fishing

Gremcat

So y’all saw my post on trout fishing. It’s been eating me up all day that my daughters friend broke her little pole at the joke of a kids derby. I’ve decided to outfit her. Her parents aren’t hard up but have 8 kids so the fact that her Mom has dedicated time over 1.5 yrs to try and catch fish is awesome. They have 8 kids and some grandkids while being around my age, very very late 30’s LOL.

I’m a trout guy now that I’m north again. I’ve always been a bait guy. They also fish lakes sometimes. I want to get her a rod, maybe an open face reel(I have a new micro spin cast push button as well seeing how they struggled with an open face), I want to setup a box of stuff she can do well at derbies, creeks, or lakes with. I’m going to give her the niceties like a looper for leaders. Don’t laugh, I use the yellow plastic Amazon one every trip steelhead to salmon. If I’ve time I pretie a variety of my most common hooks on two weights of leaders and carry in a sweet little magnet case. About a dozen total on the little foam spools. I won’t go to that level. I’m going to start a list here so please add what I forget. I want her to have a good chance at catching fish and maybe winning a few derbies if that’s her thing.

Maybe custom maybe off the shelf rod?

Not sure on best generic for a kid but she handled the length of my St Croix 7’ ul fine.

Probably an Okuma or Pfleuger reel

Nice wooden net, maybe a mid length like mine for bass also

Light clasp swivels

size BB winged split shot

Mosquito light hooks from 4-10

Torn on Flouro leader but probably

Few spools of 4-6 lbs mono main line

Brown pellet PB (Yeah I know, it’s easy for kids though and even my bro uses it at certain places)

Hemostats and zinger

Threading needles - For her Mom, if you can’t fully exploit a minnows action a threaded one is the next best option, some 10-12 trebles too with advice on not using with anything but minnows unless they are

Lite Redbook of Knots - have this already, bought it to use a gift card up, I just Google mostly myself

Floats of some kind, I’m actually liking the easy slotted foam cheapies these days,

Flexible tape for all her trophies

Stringer in case she likes the brown fillets I dry rubbed from yesterday

Ok, kids bass/sunfish/trout~ what did I miss?

She’s not casting yet so not sure on lures/spinners. My kids are just starting to cast too so I huck for them mostly and bait fish with them.

Gremcat

Also, TS/A-5, with your blessing I’ll tell them it’s a PAAnglers gift so I’m not a weird friends Dad. Might be fun once the site grows to server breaking status to sponsor a kid each year. Could be Sob story or maybe a focus of our contest. I won’t say most fish because then I’ll have to start racking them up faster. Might even help old one trick ponies like me to diversify if a kid likes a different type of fishing.

Don

Might be fun once the site grows to server breaking status to sponsor a kid each year.
If the fisherman is young My first choice is a Johnson 100 rebuilt and loaded with 6lb line. Put it on a casting rod. I have given a Micro 33 Zeb to a grandson and he loves it but once I played with it I'd rather have gotten the full size 33.....or even the Omega (probably their best value as this time). Put them on casting rods or buy some 1970's-90's offset pistol grip rods.

Don

My Seven year old Grand Daughter prefers the Spinning reel whereas my two (twins) 7 yer old Grandsons prefer Push button. I pulled in a nice fat 15" LMB last week on my old push button.

Don

So y’all saw my post on trout fishing. It’s been eating me up all day that my daughters friend broke her little pole at the joke of a kids derby. I’ve decided to outfit her. Her parents aren’t hard up but have 8 kids so the fact that her Mom has dedicated time over 1.5 yrs to try and catch fish is awesome. They have 8 kids and some grandkids while being around my age, very very late 30’s LOL.

I’m a trout guy now that I’m north again. I’ve always been a bait guy. They also fish lakes sometimes. I want to get her a rod, maybe an open face reel(I have a new micro spin cast push button as well seeing how they struggled with an open face), I want to setup a box of stuff she can do well at derbies, creeks, or lakes with. I’m going to give her the niceties like a looper for leaders. Don’t laugh, I use the yellow plastic Amazon one every trip steelhead to salmon. If I’ve time I pretie a variety of my most common hooks on two weights of leaders and carry in a sweet little magnet case. About a dozen total on the little foam spools. I won’t go to that level. I’m going to start a list here so please add what I forget. I want her to have a good chance at catching fish and maybe winning a few derbies if that’s her thing.

Maybe custom maybe off the shelf rod?

Not sure on best generic for a kid but she handled the length of my St Croix 7’ ul fine.

Probably an Okuma or Pfleuger reel

Nice wooden net, maybe a mid length like mine for bass also

Light clasp swivels

size BB winged split shot

Mosquito light hooks from 4-10

Torn on Flouro leader but probably

Few spools of 4-6 lbs mono main line

Brown pellet PB (Yeah I know, it’s easy for kids though and even my bro uses it at certain places)

Hemostats and zinger

Threading needles - For her Mom, if you can’t fully exploit a minnows action a threaded one is the next best option, some 10-12 trebles too with advice on not using with anything but minnows unless they are

Lite Redbook of Knots - have this already, bought it to use a gift card up, I just Google mostly myself

Floats of some kind, I’m actually liking the easy slotted foam cheapies these days,

Flexible tape for all her trophies

Stringer in case she likes the brown fillets I dry rubbed from yesterday

Ok, kids bass/sunfish/trout~ what did I miss?

She’s not casting yet so not sure on lures/spinners. My kids are just starting to cast too so I huck for them mostly and bait fish with them.
How did you make this Kid's day?
The new Zebco Omega Pro high speed is out of this world. The pflueger president is awesome.
On bait hook I like 6-8-10 Aberdeen gold or bronze and half way through summer I went back to using eagle claw bait holder hooks. I lost so many fish this year on other styles.
The trebles ideas are good except in weeds.

Blackcat Outdoors

I started my daughter out with a 6' ugly stick after she moved on from a kids rod (Disney Princess model 😂). She was around 8. The damn things are almost indestructible and she figured out casting a spinning reel fairly quickly after an hour or so trying herself. She still uses that now and will probably have it for a long time to come. They're pretty inexpensive too at @ $40. You can even get a combo deal with a reel that's not great, but would work until an upgrade was needed. That would be my recommendation honestly. It'll hold up well to a kids abuse and still be useful if/when she gets older or more into fishing.

• Love
Reactions: Don