Shad fishing

Bootfoot

First reports of Shad in the river are starting to appear. now when someone reports they caught a shad in 38 degree water my eye brow goes up but with the warm up this week the water rose to 46 degrees. People are at least getting out, most are not catching a thing but every now and again some lucky angler catches one. It’s that time of the year though and as more and more people get out the reports will start flying in. generally I would be very excited but I don't have much time off this year and will be saving my days off for a few extra striper trips. I may have to go on a weekend if I want to get out shad fishing this year. That’s a horrible thought.

Anybody else planning on getting out for Shad this year?

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
I went with a friend who knew what he was doing maybe 5 years ago. He did put on us a decent # of fish but it wasn’t something I enjoyed. He had a drift boat, we anchored up and then we used darts attached to crankbait bodies and just waited for them to hit. It worked well but I like to be a little more interactive. Maybe if I was drifting darts from the bank I’d find it more enjoyable?

Shad run when Stripers run so I’m always going to chase stripers before anything else, not leaving much time for other species.

Bootfoot

It’s all about knocking the funk off after a long winter and seeing old friends. Kind of like the trout opener. the interactive part is when your catching 50 of them and can’t keep them off your rods.

I agree about the striper fishing. I drop shad fishing when I hear the stripers are active. Every year that becomes earlier and earlier. I think I only did two shad trips last year before we switched to stripers at the end of March. I think they will be early this year as well.

where do you chase stripers at TS. In the river?

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
It’s all about knocking the funk off after a long winter and seeing old friends. Kind of like the trout opener. the interactive part is when your catching 50 of them and can’t keep them off your rods.

I agree about the striper fishing. I drop shad fishing when I hear the stripers are active. Every year that becomes earlier and earlier. I think I only did two shad trips last year before we switched to stripers at the end of March. I think they will be early this year as well.

where do you chase stripers at TS. In the river?

Raritan Bay for Stripers for us. We have ventured south a few times but Raritan is just full of life.

With this weather system that just passed, I would not be surprised to hear that the males came in this upcoming week. 2 years ago, on March 20, we had a banner day. It was carbon copy 35-36” males cast after cast.

I am headed over to my buddies house today to help get his boat spring ready. Maybe even head out later this week.

Bootfoot

Nice! I fished the raritan bay one time for flounder and it was a nut roll of boats. Of course we didn’t know where to go so we followed the crowd Which isn’t generally a good idea when you would prefer to avoid the crowds. They should be there already, it seems it will be another early run. I’m projecting to get out on the river in the beginning of April again this year.

Bootfoot

1 trip of the year first cancelation. That was a pretty good rain we got all week. Looks like Monday is out to.

Melvinp

I feel you. Every day I think I am going to fish it either rains or something else comes up.
You can fish in the rain as for other things coming up unless it’s really bad just ignore it and go fishing lol sometimes you just gotta do it lol

Bootfoot

I don’t fish in the rain unless I’m caught in it. Even then I’m looking for a bridge to hide under so I wouldn’t call that fishing in the rain either. my experience is that fishing sucks in the rain and it just plain sucks to be out in the rain. It’s an old wives tale that fishing is good in the rain. I’ll stay home, clean the house, dust, do laundry, cook, bake, work, tie flies, anything other than go fishing. Call me crazy but I’ll go fishing on the nice days and do the mundane have to do tasks during times of foul weather. the river will be high and unfishable till the middle of the week assuming no more rain. Ah well that’s spring for ya.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Today was the perfect day to cut my grass for the first time in 2022!

I’m a week out. Yesterday I had to replace a vent fan on the 2nd story and that ladder sunk in well! Great for safety ;) but that ground is so saturated right now I’d probably leave ruts with my push mower!