Spinner Blades on Beetle Spin and Spinnerbaits, Which ones are for you?

Don

The spinner blades you use for one rig and circumstance may be very different in another.

I mostly fish with Spincast reels with 3.0:1 +/-. On occasion I use some older Spinning reels and they are somewhat faster at 5.0:1+/-. Then I have a couple Baitcasters that scream, comparatively speaking, at 7.2:1.

Supposedly, by changing out the jigs (hooks) and spinner blades one can find the best retrieval speeds for their needs. For instance a big Willow Blade and heavier jigs tipped with larger baits can apparently allow you to fish faster and/or deeper. And of course you all know how peacefully and slowly a 1/16oz Ohio Bladed Beetle Spin retrieves. Then the other blades cover everything in between.

If you have experience with this please share. If you have questions ask and someone will make up a story.

Below is a descriptive and defining article that everyone will enjoy.

Last edited:

truecrimson

"There are at least seventeen different types of blades, at least nine textures and an infinite possibility of colors and color patterns"

I checked out right there. Too complicated. I have several different ones. I'll switch the whole bait if I think I need bigger or different. I don't have the time or energy to be swapping the blades and the jigs around on all of them.

Don

Whats an Ohio blade?
How do you change the head on a spinnerbait?
You don’t. Instead you change the bait. TC will make any changes you my require. You rich retired guys will usually just buy the baits in different sizes and be done. I understand that. In the weedy areas I want a slow thumpitywhompster, ie colorado. In deep open water I’d want deeper and faster types like willows.

pabassman

You don’t. Instead you change the bait. TC will make any changes you my require. You rich retired guys will usually just buy the baits in different sizes and be done. I understand that. In the weedy areas I want a slow thumpitywhompster, ie colorado. In deep open water I’d want deeper and faster types like willows.
Are you sure? Colorado blades are most commonly used at night. Lift and vibration are there purpose. Also in dirty, muddy water. 95% of the bass pics you've seen me post are on colorado blade spinnerbaits. Willows provide more flash and are more weedless. Spinnerbaits are a reaction bait. The less time a bass sees it the better. Its getting away so they attack.

Last edited:

truecrimson

Yeah just mail me all your spinner baits. Don will replace any that get lost ;)

Don

Are you sure? Colorado blades are most commonly used at night. Lift and vibration are their purpose. Also in dirty, muddy water. 95% of the bass pics you've seen me post are on colorado blade spinnerbaits. Willows provide more flash and are more weedless. Spinnerbaits are a reaction bait. The less time a bass sees it the better. It’s getting away so they attack.
When I assembled the above article I actually had you in mind....I was sort of trying to drag you into confirming or not the info on the list. I mean youre the real Matt Allen, knot? The PAIconelliBassman of this site. I've felt for some time that you probably catch the mostest & biggest on spinnerbaits than the rest of us. You and Ed who doesn't show up here often.
What I like about YouTubing and surfing is that if I brag it up just right some members, like TC, look at me with awe for how successful I am on the water. Seriously I am good at repeating what others use. But like 'The Legend Of Super Skier' I 'never let you catch me on the slope'.
I wanted to confirm at least a little of the above article was credible and PA you came through for me.
The beetle spin has been the most productive artificial bait for me. From Shiners to large Bass it produces for me, so it is one area where I can brag for real. I started thinking of Beetle Spins simply as miniaturized Spinner Baits and started reading or surfing to sort of master the nuances of them all. Fascinating study. From Salmon Guys in the Northwest (Gremcat mentioned Kings) to Walleye Crappie 'Chaps' in the north and central midwest to Bass Dudes in the East, casting and trolling, the one thing they all use at one point in their year is some form of the Spinnerbait or Beetle Spin. The only differences are the skirts, blade types and jigs/hooks they attach...and overall size of course. The wire style and principle stay the same.
I'm hoping to get some Indiana/French blades to speed my lure up just a hair. I also hope to get some medium size willows so that there is a slightly deeper level that these will fish.
I'll be back to this topic next winter hopefully with a year of learning under my belt. If you liked an article please hit subscribe somewhere.

Solitario Lupo

Just didn’t want others to miss your topic on this. Lol just fooling around I got your parody.
As of this year it will be my first year using them also. Let ya know how I do if I can remember them.

Don

I knew you got it. I was trying to be funny. I'd be interested in seeing you do with spinnerbaits in the Pike family. I hope some Pickerel will grab these. They are hoping that the state record (New Jersey, 9lbs/3oz) will be caught at Merrill creek in the next year and I want in on the bigger ones. Although a PA resident Merrill Creek is only 9mi from my house.

new-jersey-state-record-freshwater-sport-fish

Last edited:

Melvinp

From left to right serrated willow,willow,Colorado deep cup,Colorado,Indiana fluted and a thumper and a bunch more out there.

Attachments

• 74755ED7-B6ED-4842-AEB1-8059616E79E6.jpeg
    74755ED7-B6ED-4842-AEB1-8059616E79E6.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 1

pabassman

When I assembled the above article I actually had you in mind....I was sort of trying to drag you into confirming or not the info on the list. I mean youre the real Matt Allen, knot? The PAIconelliBassman of this site. I've felt for some time that you probably catch the mostest & biggest on spinnerbaits than the rest of us. You and Ed who doesn't show up here often.
What I like about YouTubing and surfing is that if I brag it up just right some members, like TC, look at me with awe for how successful I am on the water. Seriously I am good at repeating what others use. But like 'The Legend Of Super Skier' I 'never let you catch me on the slope'.
I wanted to confirm at least a little of the above article was credible and PA you came through for me.
The beetle spin has been the most productive artificial bait for me. From Shiners to large Bass it produces for me, so it is one area where I can brag for real. I started thinking of Beetle Spins simply as miniaturized Spinner Baits and started reading or surfing to sort of master the nuances of them all. Fascinating study. From Salmon Guys in the Northwest (Gremcat mentioned Kings) to Walleye Crappie 'Chaps' in the north and central midwest to Bass Dudes in the East, casting and trolling, the one thing they all use at one point in their year is some form of the Spinnerbait or Beetle Spin. The only differences are the skirts, blade types and jigs/hooks they attach...and overall size of course. The wire style and principle stay the same.
I'm hoping to get some Indiana/French blades to speed my lure up just a hair. I also hope to get some medium size willows so that there is a slightly deeper level that these will fish.
I'll be back to this topic next winter hopefully with a year of learning under my belt. If you liked an article please hit subscribe somewhere.

Too late to go digging. I fish mainly at night. Spinnerbait is king. Copper colorado, moderate steady retrieve. In the fall I throw dbl willows. A lot of chartruse blades then. fast retrieve. Thats it. Spinnerbaits are shallow water baits. Too many other options if fishing deeper

Don

Here is a new favorite, I think, for early season and pre-spawn. 1/80th jighead, 1/2” willow, 1” grub.

Attachments

• 2DB232E3-9B52-4F56-A3A6-92DC15A1F6A1.jpeg
    2DB232E3-9B52-4F56-A3A6-92DC15A1F6A1.jpeg
    536.6 KB · Views: 7

Don

This is another view. Puts it in perspective on 8 1/2 x 11.

Attachments

• 3F1E5D4A-8887-400F-A0E1-791521354B0D.jpeg
    3F1E5D4A-8887-400F-A0E1-791521354B0D.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 2