Spinners and stickballs

Don

I want to eat my catch and have been told to avoid the Allegheny river drainage. Apparently there is an extra large amount of industrial contamination left over in those waters. Mercury and other metals along with pub's (I think) . But what do I know.

Solitario Lupo

Anything around the city I wouldn’t recommend eating but the top part of allegheny is clean waters. It’s all fed by spring waters and kinzua.
It’s a long river and not all of it is polluted.

Solitario Lupo

When hearing about the mercury levels in water I can never get. It was high mercury levels in the kittaning area. Probably what you’re talking about. So all the scientists say just don’t eat the fish from that area or around 5miles up or down. Will water flows down so why 5 miles up. Everything down has got to be polluted. Just saying 🤷‍♂️ but they say it’s safe.🤢

Reactions: Don

Don

It’s the region that is bad. All tribs of the upstream areas. McKean county west and north of 80. It wouldn’t matter for one meal a year but I like to eat one meal a week. It adds up in your brain and body fat slowly. Probably no big deal but actually the very worst in both states is salmon, steelhead and brown trout from the lake and also resident stream fish.

Don

Apparently these pollutants are both natural and also from fallout from industry over the years. Smoke for factories contain minute traces of these pollutants and it takes many years to get it out of its system. The entire drainage area is affected...even feeders. It gets a little bitty bit better in the Sesquehanna realm and again better for Delaware and its tribs. I'd like to learn more. I will in time. I guess moderation in all things is a good motto.