spinners

Don

Well I'm learning every day. Two years ago it dawned on me that some folks troll with and/or cast and retrieve with spinners. Up until earlier this year It had only been Russians up at Gouldsboro. Then they got me to try it and it does work as least for there.

truecrimson

It never occurred to me to do anything else with them. Now I am going to have to try this not moving them stuff.

Gremcat

I cut hooks off troutmasters and bead spinners then run a 12-16” leader behind them and a minnow. I sort of replicated what a bait shop worker showed me on Seneca with big flasher plates or something used for Lakers. They used a small bait behind I think. Same deal plus ia trout master is a heck of an aerodynamic sinker lol. If I ever used a lure or rod correct others might die if shock. I didn’t have magazines or websites as a kid so if someone gave me gear, tackle, or I saw something I replicated with whatever I had.

Gremcat

I caught some 16” Brookies on a shiny gold bare hook a few years ago. Lots of hits retrieving and when it was in I realized I had lost my bait so I just casted the shiny hook again repeatedly catching fish on fast retrieves.

I also use Carolina rigs with extremely fast retrieves or even spinners. Wacky stuff that would never work in something like a competition I bet.

Gremcat

Plastics, jigs, spinners, or my favorite minnows behind 1/4 barrel sinker slipping is a pretty effective setup for getting below milfoil blooms to the thinner stalk areas a retrieval might work in.

Gremcat

Of course, I’m about catching so big bass to me as a kid where caught with a top fin hooked shiner/shad with bottom rear fin clipped and a few split shot between it and a huge orange/yellow bobber thrown along shore into nests. Ruthlessly effective though most purists despise it.

Gremcat

I can’t tell Chartreuse from yellow from green honestly. Think some Fishermen double as Interior Designers “Burnt Mint Plum” is today’s color,,,,,

Solitario Lupo

I caught some 16” Brookies on a shiny gold bare hook a few years ago. Lots of hits retrieving and when it was in I realized I had lost my bait so I just casted the shiny hook again repeatedly catching fish on fast retrieves.

I also use Carolina rigs with extremely fast retrieves or even spinners. Wacky stuff that would never work in something like a competition I bet.
They can be funny like that anything shiny gets them sometimes. I’ve seen trout hit my small shiny B.B. Split shot. Most of the bead head flies work great with just the bead and a little bit of material behind. Just get some good drifts or place it in front of their faces can get them.