Spoons and the likes

MB3

They are typically so light they stay near the surface even when retrieved slow. I do well within a foot of the surface or less. We fish shallow lake so it works most places we go.

I/we need to start fishing deep because we struggle when we do go on deeper lakes.

HenryDavid

How do you get it through weeds with that treble hook ?
I only use them ice fishing, drop it straight down the hole, lol, I don't know any other way. In some bodies of water you can see bottom if you're in a hut or flip-over sled. Those "Panic" spoons are heavy, they drop right down into clumpy weeds. I would bottom bounce it in the open areas between the weeds. Same technique works for perch on a much smaller scale, small spoons tipped with wax worms, fish will come in and investigate when they see the silty cloud.

Don

HD I don't keep that much ice on me in summer, lol. But thanks for making me say that I'm speaking about casting only. Perhaps I fear weeds too much. On the net I've seen spoons equipped with a worm hook and trailer being dragged right over lilies and through miliflora.
below are the weedless Bagley's, similar to the Johnson's that PAB referred to.
bagley-weedless-spoon__01824.jpg

Last edited:

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Damn….totally forgotten…..do you know how many thousands and yes I do mean thousands of wild trout I’ve caught. Ugh!!! ;)

Reactions: Don

Don

TS: This one's for you.

In this last cold spell all activity on worms hath stopped! The Kastmaster got a bit of interest saturday but I wonder if spoons and blade baits wouldn't take over for Neds, Kieteck and live baits from here on through winter. I never fish in cold weather but may give it a whack this year.

Don

Melvin and Sol and whomever else ties notice that some blades and spoons feature dressed hooks but I’ve noticed this novel way of adding fluff that even the un-washed could accomplish.

Attachments

• A085294D-6EFD-4449-A9DE-9CACD28F91A2.jpeg
    A085294D-6EFD-4449-A9DE-9CACD28F91A2.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 4
  • F47A462D-68E7-4C12-8FCE-377EC9E8049F.jpeg
    F47A462D-68E7-4C12-8FCE-377EC9E8049F.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 4
  • 687F836F-0071-4803-B374-99FD9D7D1E28.jpeg
    687F836F-0071-4803-B374-99FD9D7D1E28.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 5

Solitario Lupo

Looks like you might loose some action in the lure. I’m guessing that’s why it’s always tied to the hook. Never hurts trying it.

Reactions: Don

Melvinp

I did notice that in the video but not sure if it helps only really played with blade baits that much this year.

Don

If Im not mistaking the purpose of this method is to slow down the vibration in cold water fishing (which I rarely have done).

Don

One of the problems for me is to determine the size to use. This is in regards to all the lures I've purchased over the years. Beings that the internet is always right I feel like giving up after reading up on spoons. But I won't. There are articles everywhere across the net titled "10 best of these" and "13 best of those" and so on. One of the things I've noticed is the weight they are touting. I'm an older sissy and the thought tossing a 3/4 or 1 ounce lures all day makes me sore just thinking about it.
It was refreshing last weekend to toss 1/8 to 1/4 ounce spoons and this is where I'll likely stay...my rods and reels agree.

Solitario Lupo

That’s always something to look at what others suggest but I’ve did stuff like read this and tried a couple top ten lures. Like your cowgirl spinners. Some may work but nothing will work best until you start getting hits on it. You’ll find that your top ten lures are going to change every year. One will work better on different days.

Don

For those of you that use spoons do you also employ Swivels of some sort. So far I have used a snap swivel with or without a split ring directly to the lure. But I've seen and have used a barrel swivel a couple feet up the line. What do you recommend?

Melvinp

For those of you that use spoons do you also employ Swivels of some sort. So far I have used a snap swivel with or without a split ring directly to the lure. But I've seen and have used a barrel swivel a couple feet up the line. What do you recommend?
I would guess that a direct connection or a swivel at the lure would be best just because of the dead section of line between your leader connection and then again at your lure it might not always be tight

Don

hey good thinking. I'll consider that. In that case I may use a smallish Snap swivel at the end of the line....on days that I'm using Spoons, Blades and Spinners I can change them out easily. Thanks.