Spring rod holder

Solitario Lupo

Looks like I'm trying something new. It seem to work except for hooking a fish. Haha. I got some playing around to do with them.

Attachments

• 20211117_145226.jpg
    20211117_145226.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 8
  • 20211117_145210.jpg
    20211117_145210.jpg
    956.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

truecrimson

Nice. Did you make them or buy them? I used to see those spring loaded "self setting" fishing spools everywhere, but never anything like these.

Solitario Lupo

It’s supposed to but I think the way it pulls the trigger leaves enough line to leave that much slack for them to get off. I saw a YouTube vid that I can tie a line to the trigger to make it shorter.

On the big catfish it was hooked. Another thing on my special bait I sometimes put to much on and cover the hook tip but i didn’t this time and was a good hook set.

So next year or another nice day I’ll try them some more. 😬:unsure:

HenryDavid

Just from hanging out on ice fishing groups & forums there was a huge amount of discussion on something called a Jaw Jacker, which had a spring loaded hook setting function. The debate was that the PA Fish Commission had declared "auto hook setting devices" to be illegal. There were posts from guys that said they had gotten sited and others that said Fish Commission agents said nothing about their Jaw Jackers.

Solitario Lupo

Glad you said something. I’m getting sick and tired is it’s all about the dumba$$ agents that are out there and have no idea on their own rules so they make up their own. If I ever get one they sure are going to get an ear full from me. That’s if I know the rules.

Are fish commission really sucks I go on the website and nothing even works.

Solitario Lupo

So the ones who got citied who knows what they where doing but those are the ones that give the rest a bad name and ruin it for others.