Taking up a new / old hobby this winter?

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Rather than chase fish and weather this winter as I usually do for sanity, ;) I am turning a new page on an old book with a renewed hobby, playing piano.

I use to play when I was in my teens to early 20s. Nothing serious like being in a band or performing but it was just something I enjoyed. I was self taught but I managed to hammer out some popular late 80s, early 90s keyboard and piano songs.

Today, with Internet and YouTube, there is a wealth of knowledge that a self teacher can now tap into that only paid lessons could have provided then. Things like proper fingering, scales and chords. Things I honestly didn’t understand back then.

I’ve been practicing the last few months, not consistently, just gaining knowledge and some coordination. If you’ve had lessons as a kid, think 1-2-3–1-2-3-4-5 and reverse. Yep, that’s all I’ve been doing across the scales, both hands too! Lol but I am going to start making this a daily routine.

Anyone else play or use to play an instrument?

Anyone else taking up a new or renewed hobby to pass the non-fishing time?

Blackcat Outdoors

I played bass and some guitar years ago. I can still play a few songs if I think about it, but I haven't really played in 15 years or so. I've thought about getting one of those ukulele basses to play around with, but I barely have the time to do the things I like now. Maybe in my retirement.

MB3

No instruments for me. I've never had the patience.

We are exploring wood working. I'm kicking around the idea of building chicken coops over the Winter and Shiela doing seasonal craft stuff to keep us sane and maybe make a little money.

Don

No instruments for me. I've never had the patience.

We are exploring wood working. I'm kicking around the idea of building chicken coops over the Winter and Shiela doing seasonal craft stuff to keep us sane and maybe make a little money.
I have an interest in quail. A little hutch and some chicks would do nicely but until I retire I fear I’m not home enough to care for them. I like their eggs plenty but they’re eggs. I love to eat the quail.
Yes, worm farming is sooo time consuming….

MuskieGal

I used to know how to play twinkle twinkle little star on the piano when I was little, lol. My mom still has that piano. That's all I ever learned how to play unfortunately. Been getting into making some wood signs lately. Will probably do more of that over the winter as well as a lot of reading.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Ya'll need to stop this insanity and be normal. Head to a lake, get your butt on a bucket. Stare down the hole in a frozen abyss 🥶
Oh hell no! Now if you told me there would be a shelter, heater and a case of beer, now you have my attention. On the other hand, that’s not about fishing and I can do that at home with a TV! Lol

Last edited:

Don

I like wierd music. Weird to most folks anyway. Favorite composer is Aaron Copeland. Favorite style of music is flamenco(Jesse Cook). Favorite instrument is guitar. Grew up singing In church and we sang a lot on the farm growing up. Two of my aunts and my Nephew were also on the piano and could transpose on the fly while playing. They were very competent ticking the ivory. I’m the apple that fell further from the tree. And after 55 yrs I still listen to James Taylor….Allot!

Last edited:

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Troutspinner how is Debussy coming along, and Choppin?
Hah!

I am having a good time with it. There have been a few times that I have impressed myself that my fingers just went with the flow on scales even though my mind might have wondered. It goes to show that practice is paramount.

I am enjoying learning music theory but there is a disconnect between my brain, ears, fingers and keys but if I keep practicing the keys so that my hands can operate the machine on its own, it will come together. I know, super analytical but when I get into something, I dive deep.

A pic of the setup. All paid for by not smoking. That however is another story :( with regression a few weeks back.

Thank you for asking!

7B72C8BB-02D7-4D8A-88BE-E46504B44749.jpeg