The Brown Owl

Don

Yes and the hub, being loose, the hub ran round and round the axle and ruined the end of both the axle and the outside end of the hub so that it won't retain the grease cap. I had just redone the bearings and went out and bought grazable caps. I must have knocked it off somewhere and soon the grease was gone. I never noticed until it was too late. This trailer has a 2000lb payload and the boat and trailer weighs less than 1000lbs. It spends allot of time in the air when we go down the road....especially I380 and 33

Melvinp

A little note when using greasable caps or bearing buddy’s install the seal backwards it allows excess grease to push pass and not just blow the cap off when it gets warm (bearing buddy’s come with special seals) they will push any extra grease into the back side of the wheel and should be cleaned out once in a while. The best are axles that have the grease fitting installed right in the end of the axle and not in the cap(rubber plug)

Melvinp

If your trailer is really light you can drop the air pressure in your tires there will be a max inflation on the sidewall just don’t go below half of that. This will help your bouncing boat trailer a bit

Don

A little note when using greasable caps or bearing buddy’s install the seal backwards it allows excess grease to push pass and not just blow the cap off when it gets warm (bearing buddy’s come with special seals) they will push any extra grease into the back side of the wheel and should be cleaned out once in a while. The best are axles that have the grease fitting installed right in the end of the axle and not in the cap(rubber plug)
Well this is all good info and it may be I over greased it but I only gave it a few shots.
I ordered the new axle yesterday and am looking forward to getting it. Part of the problem here is that these are the very cheapest and smallest of axles (only 4 bolt hubs) and there are not many options other that bearing buddies. I usually remember to walk around and feel the hub for heat after going places but I totally missed this last disaster. Will try lowering the pressure as well. I want to tow this to WY next yr and want to get it right.

Melvinp

Well this is all good info and it may be I over greased it but I only gave it a few shots.
I ordered the new axle yesterday and am looking forward to getting it. Part of the problem here is that these are the very cheapest and smallest of axles (only 4 bolt hubs) and there are not many options other that bearing buddies. I usually remember to walk around and feel the hub for heat after going places but I totally missed this last disaster. Will try lowering the pressure as well. I want to tow this to WY next yr and want to get it right.
Just use a good high temperature grease

Don

Just use a good high temperature grease
I've been using marine grease. I'm not sure it is heavy enough. It had been 40 yrs since I had filled a bearing with the palm of my hand trick. It just seemed to be too light but it was NAPA's recommendation. Thoughts?

A-5 when were the bearings done on "Fiver"?
The other one floats Don