The Latest Sale Thread

Don

I have, on recommendation of Mr A-5, to use rage
Football heads are not the best choice for weeds. Look back at that JIGHEAD thread from a few months ago. Football is at its best in more open water. Gravel, mud areas. Often just dragging it on the bottom. Weeds will be more fishable with a narrower profile head like the one pic A5 has.
Yes I noticed that yesterday when touring through the YouTube videos. most folks never mentioned footballs. In fact the lions share were using pinned Texas rigs 3/4, 1, and 1 1/4 oz. I may thy that as well but this rig that I have feels maxed out at 3/4. I'm new to the Baitcaster but it would seem to me that another rig dedicated to the heavier line and weights would be in order.
Do you use anything like these for walleye?

pabassman

I have, on recommendation of Mr A-5, to use rage

Yes I noticed that yesterday when touring through the YouTube videos. most folks never mentioned footballs. In fact the lions share were using pinned Texas rigs 3/4, 1, and 1 1/4 oz. I may thy that as well but this rig that I have feels maxed out at 3/4. I'm new to the Baitcaster but it would seem to me that another rig dedicated to the heavier line and weights would be in order.
Do you use anything like these for walleye?
No

Don

I
Personally I don’t pitch Matts. I pitch structure and throw long and reel back.
i Was thinking that once Gouldsboro closes in with weeds mid-summer that instead of me moving to other deeper lakes for the rest of summer that I should learn to fish mat. Maybe as a newbie I’m thinking too hard…putting the cart before the horse.
There are soooo many choices.

Reactions: A-5

Solitario Lupo

I

i Was thinking that once Gouldsboro closes in with weeds mid-summer that instead of me moving to other deeper lakes for the rest of summer that I should learn to fish mat. Maybe as a newbie I’m thinking too hard…putting the cart before the horse.
Lakes are hard most of the time you are casting blind in the water. If I where you I would try to figure out a lake before just moving to another to try to figure out. Then if you having a hard time and wanna try something new then move on. I know guys that fish only one lake and know all the spots and what they catch and even then they say some years are harder cause sometimes the fish can change their feeding habits so gotta figure them out every year.

Reactions: Don

truecrimson

Does anyone not pitch the holes? Like, does anyone try to hit a pad or a clump of gunk? I know with frogs sometimes landing them on a big pad and then puling them off attracts a bite, but other than that?

Reactions: A-5

Don

Alot of people swear by just using plastics for walleye. When you get in a school you need to be fast to get a couple. They can be gone just as fast as they move in.
They usually feed downward correct? They're not really into chasing up through the water profile?

Don

Does anyone not pitch the holes? Like, does anyone try to hit a pad or a clump of gunk? I know with frogs sometimes landing them on a big pad and then puling them off attracts a bite, but other than that?
That is what I’ve learned. With punching being the new rage I’m all in. Straight down through the mat an on seams. It also takes the gear tough enough to pull the fish up an out rapidly. “If you let them run it won’t be fun”.

Solitario Lupo

They usually feed downward correct? They're not really into chasing up through the water profile?
From what I hear is they will come up to hit. Mostly on shelf’s or nice drop offs.
Still they keep the bait about a foot or two off the bottom or dragging.

Solitario Lupo

Even big holes can have some kind of structure. Anywhere I can cast it, it will be thrown.

Don

This will bee my first year to use Fishfinder and Im psyched. Its elementary, doesn't have side scan but I'll be able to know how deep I am. I will also see drop-offs in time to react to them.

Solitario Lupo

None of mine are side scan. So you just need to see what’s under you. Just remember if your moving and you see a drop off you’ll have to backup.

pabassman

I

I heard Gouldsboro has a major weed problem. Some invasive brand has overrun the place. Plenty of other similar places in that area.

Don

Yes but the fish they pull out of there are awesome. There are days, many, that the whole lake only has me on it. If I didn't know better I'd think I was in some far off Canadian Shield lake. I've no history of being a bass guy. This interest is new in me. But what I saw guys hauling out in the spring, march, was very impressive...one 25" and numerous over 20. They looked like footballs.

As a Panfish guy it is impressive to average over 8.5" for Gills, 10" for perch and 10-11" for Crappie. But it is tough to fish by the time Summer Bass Season rolls around.

There is one guy that sight fishes the far side lily pads where there are lots of stumps and logs and the water is less than 2'. he has trained himself to catch big bass in there all summer. He kneels on an ugly kayak and sneaks around the area. I admire that type of skill.

I'm switching to Jersey this year and will keep you informed.

Don

When I ordered from Dobyns they emailed me and said they were out of a bunch. I asked them to sub to fill out the order and I wouldn't complain. They did well. I'm happy.

Attachments

• IMG_2481.jpeg
    IMG_2481.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 8