The new toy

Melvinp

We have been thinking about it and carpet is the cheapest route what kinda vinyl are you talking about and how slippery is it wet and the foam well nice thought but pumps,hoses and some electrical works got priority I’m afraid. Probably going with carpet just because of dollars and time but very short fibers the old carpet was a magnet for hooks.April is coming quick!

Bootfoot

Vinyl is about the same price as carpet and it’s not slippery at all. maybe carpet the tops of your compartments, casting deck and bench and vinyl the floor. That’s how my 16’ split seat boat was. I still hated the carpet but at least the floor was easy to wash. My carpet was not glued to anything. It was wrapped around the compartment lids, stapled to the underside and then the lid or carpeted part was attached to the boat. The vinyl was only edge glued to the floor.

truecrimson

What gave you that idea🐣🐥🐤
Whether it's here or at work, everyone I listen to about their boats talks about all the stuff that needs to be done to it and what it all costs.

So it looks like a boat requires either the ability to work on it, or the money to pay someone else to work on it. I don't have either.

Don

Whether it's here or at work, everyone I listen to about their boats talks about all the stuff that needs to be done to it and what it all costs.

So it looks like a boat requires either the ability to work on it, or the money to pay someone else to work on it. I don't have either.
You mis-interpret the circumstances. My boat for instance needs a coat of paint every other year. I’m using the same gallon of used house paint year after year. The boat needs nothing more. I choose to add more but it doesn’t need more. If you gotz no skilz then an earlier model of aluminum boat with no floor, like most rental boats, require nothing at all from yr to yr. Get a 12-14 footer and oars and you’re set. Clamp your fish finder over the side. Remember the anchor stop I have that allows me to operate the anchor from my seat?….six dollars at Wally World. Sell those Kayak and you’re almost there. And you’ll be able to move around on it. I fished canoes for years and will never go back.
A-5, Trout spanker and Unc have floors in their boats. Eventually after 20 - 30 yrs the floors rot out. No biggie for them as they are well to do and have work shops. Troutspanner on the other hand just trades his boat in every 6 months thanks to Covid.
So don’t let boat maintenance scare you off. Get a boat that fits your circumstances.

Bootfoot

I agree, small boats cost little and need nothing more then routine maintenance most of the time. Every 20 years or so you may have to replace the floor. No big deal really. A 28’ twin diesel Grady White might cost more but a 16’ aluminum fishing boat is a minimal expense. Plus, working on a boat is enjoyable.

Melvinp

I agree, small boats cost little and need nothing more then routine maintenance most of the time. Every 20 years or so you may have to replace the floor. No big deal really. A 28’ twin diesel Grady White might cost more but a 16’ aluminum fishing boat is a minimal expense. Plus, working on a boat is enjoyable.
Fishing in a boat when the works done is even better

truecrimson

Sell those Kayak and you’re almost there.
Blasphemy! Sacrilege!

Heretic! Non believer!

Summon the Inquisition! Gas up the stake!

Where is the dislike button!

😉😁😆😅😂🤣

Some of the waters I like are no place for a regular boat. The boat would be high and only moist on the bottom in many places on the creek. I can float through 6 inches of water in a yak, and if I get my fat ass out and walk, 3 inches, until I get to the next run. So the yaks will stay.

Btw I hope to snag a day a memorial lake with you this summer.

Yes, yes, Memorial is a good place to hide your body........I mean, um, yeah, we'll have to talk about schedules ;)

truecrimson

You mis-interpret the circumstances. My boat for instance needs a coat of paint every other year. I’m using the same gallon of used house paint year after year. The boat needs nothing more. I choose to add more but it doesn’t need more. If you gotz no skilz then an earlier model of aluminum boat with no floor, like most rental boats, require nothing at all from yr to yr. Get a 12-14 footer and oars and you’re set. Clamp your fish finder over the side. Remember the anchor stop I have that allows me to operate the anchor from my seat?….six dollars at Wally World. Sell those Kayak and you’re almost there. And you’ll be able to move around on it. I fished canoes for years and will never go back.
A-5, Trout spanker and Unc have floors in their boats. Eventually after 20 - 30 yrs the floors rot out. No biggie for them as they are well to do and have work shops. Troutspanner on the other hand just trades his boat in every 6 months thanks to Covid.
So don’t let boat maintenance scare you off. Get a boat that fits your circumstances.
Also, I don't think the ease of maintaining your boat is a fair comparison since YOU BUILT IT FROM SCRATCH IN THE FIRST PLACE! ;)

That kind of implies the space, tools, skills, and funds necessary to do so.

I'll keep an eye out for things that don't look like they need much. But it's looking pretty doubtful.

Don

Mr. Negative. Always Mr Negative. There’s boat out there with your name on it. You’ll see.

truecrimson

Well if it's out there today it better get comfortable and settle in for a wait. The last month or 2 has derailed our finances.

In the meantime I will continue to be impressed by the skills of Melvin, Randy, and the rest.