This weeks tackle talk Heated jacket’s

Heated Jacket

• 👍🏿

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • 👎🏿

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

HenryDavid

The coldest I've ever been while wading was one November day in the Lehigh River near White Haven. After 3 or 4 hours of being in the water knee to waist deep I couldn't take it anymore, had to get out of the water. In hindsight I could see using the hand warmer packets in the boots might've helped.

I think wading in ice cold water is more brutal than ice fishing even in extreme conditions.

A-5

Steelhead season runs mostly in God forsaken temps. Not as bad as whatever bootfoot has faced we know but seriously it’s not pleasant and to get a edge is great.

Bootfoot

I don’t fish in any negative numbers. In fact, outside of ice fishing, I don’t fish below 50 maybe even 60 in practice. I never fished for steelhead and will take a pass on them if they can only be caught in the dead of a NY winter. Just because I’ve been colder don’t mean I like regular cold any better than balls ass cold.

A-5

Nah just the bulk of steelhead is November to march. They start in October and end in spring. So there are nice weather opportunities

Gremcat

All seriousness, I go merino and or natural materials where I can. Wool and fur are both decent when it’s below zero.

Gremcat

Hard to see in pic but many inches of ice in bottom of creek. Waders filled up, had to strip to my long underwear top and fished all day. Funny, didn’t notice cold while GL’ers where grumbling and looking like Marshmallows. I’ve had my oil gel up in basement tank and spent too many -10 to -30 degree nights trying to get furnace relit every few hours.

Then I fish the Glen in May, temps drop after a bit of rain and my hands almost didn’t function to unlock the car. Had pain I’ve rarely felt from cold before. Sometimes it just hits you. Others you can hike out in snow with a rifle in 20-30 mph winds and -30 temps and it just feels a bit brisk.

I’d be leery of using a heater suit. Sweat kills and so does cotton. Tricks like loosening or half lacing boots to let air circulate and blood flow are helpful. Merino sock liners to pull away sweat. Have to regulate or you sweat then freeze.