Told Ya

Don

Big Game or xl for general spinning and spincast use.
Kastking Mono for bait and spincast.
I wish I were a pro like you, Troutspinner and MB3. Spend all my money and time doing comparative analysis. Must feel great. Sellersville done right by you.
I like big game enough town a bunch.

Bootfoot

I am 100% braid with trilene mono leaders regardless of what or how I’m fishing. I think I have a couple spools of floro somewhere. I also use trilene mono for my leader and tippet material for fly fishing. I don’t buy into all the BS about mono here flouro there and braid only when doing this. such a load of marketing hooey.

Reactions: Don

A-5

Braid floats top water.

Fluro sinks.

Mono floatish

So obviously top water braid, mono is a go between stretchy, fluro less visible and sinks. Use accordingly. Doesn’t mean you have to do anything. Use it properly not sure what the market hooey is but there are applications for certain things I’ll say. diameter of line is a bigger deal in my opinion. But that’s a different subject

Bootfoot

Line may do all of that but once you tie something on the end of the line all those properties effectively disappear. My top water fishes on top, my bottom water stuff fishes on bottom, my mid depth stuff fishes mid depth and I break off and don’t break off with no appreciable differences between line. I’ve tried it all over the years and what works best and makes the most sense for me is braid with mono leaders. Not arguing what’s better or worse just saying what works best for me and my pea brain.

In addition to a pea brain, I’ve also been blessed with no ability to feel the minutia that every other fisherman seems to feel.

Don

Boot I agree with your comments about not being able feel every tug differential that I hear folks discuss. But I do like the way Floro leader sinks faster than mono when used as a leader for fly fishing and standard fishing.
I’ve also been blessed with no ability to feel the minutia that every other fisherman seems to feel.

Don

Braid floats top water.

Fluro sinks.

Mono floatish

So obviously top water braid, mono is a go between stretchy, fluro less visible and sinks. Use accordingly. Doesn’t mean you have to do anything. Use it properly not sure what the market hooey is but there are applications for certain things I’ll say. diameter of line is a bigger deal in my opinion. But that’s a different subject
I've been using big game on several reels and floro for a tippet (or what you stooges call a leader).
I hope to switch to braid/floro on the bait casters once I get more competent at using them.
For now I'm using 15lb Kastking mono with 10lb floro tippet. I hope to use 50 or 60 lb braid eventually.
There is a new reel by Kastking that looks perfect for fishing weeds...no drag...direct drive. Meant for 60-80lb braid and is focused on Pro Bass dudes and dudetts.

truecrimson

Wait, does that mean all the other reels are the Ru Paul models?

That's a helluva surprise at the end of a date! :sick:

Don

I'm gonna say it one more time, No Drag!

Get your mind outa th gutter and back in th rivah yo!

HenryDavid

It's a good thing this isn't a fly fishing thread discussing sink tip line, tippet sink rate, blah, blah, blah,.. I would have to get super drunk just to read through it.

Don

One of the things that makes it hard to analyze the differences is with how the line is employed. When I say that I use 15lb mono and will switch to 50-60pound braid it would all be the same approximate diameter but the braid gives me much more strength when in grass, mat or Brush. But in a perfect world. If you wanted 10lb and and 10 is all that is needed then there is a tremendous advantage for switching to braid of equal or only slightly more strength. The diameter and weight would be much less and the casting distance and much further with the 10lb braid.

My issue is different. I can't justify the cost of braid except in situations where I'm sure it will last. Punching or trolling with 50-60 lb Braid on a Baitcasting rig sounds wonderful but not if I end up cutting it off in a couple days to release some birdnests. In time I'll get there. But for now...just mono with a tippet.
Top water in clean water I would see a big benefit on spinning reels using 6-12 lb braid with my favorite spinning reels. I would still use the appropriate mono or floro tippet (2'-6') to help protect the braid and to make my lures less visible.