Travel

Gremcat

Not in PA anymore, still processing the desert. The shacks are $700k-1.5mn!!!

The web pics are where I ate last night. Mission Inn. It’s a crazy place but couldn’t get pics at night when we left dinner.

Everything here is layers of Sand.

Moreno Valley/Riverside CA

Guessing no fishing here, looks like it last rained in the 70’s.2ADC6954-A00A-4252-8C4D-1B7D8F39D2E4.jpegDE175551-C012-4607-9D61-A32EAA6AA531.jpeg762F5BEE-FEB8-465C-8032-92FC21A598F9.jpegB173F368-EE00-469E-8ACC-4A142AD8D2AD.jpeg0C037ABE-02B0-4853-9A9D-A6FAB95CCE9F.jpeg32656D41-68B9-42D8-BE8B-4EB497FBB939.jpeg

Gremcat

Guy outside hotel was sweeping at 8am in a sweater. Car said 90 already! I get the dry heat comment now. I spent 100 hrs between Mon and Sat in a plant in CT. 85 and high humidity I was soaked all week. Here it’s 95 and it’s not unbearable. It’s not cool but I’m not sweating.

I’ve not been to CA in 20 years.

Gremcat

Maybe I should post in Off Topic along the lines of Don’s “Where am I” thread. Looks like a lot more travel in my future and lots in my recent past too. Might be almost perfect with PNW in Nov appearing more realistic. Take a long weekend to my wife’s family on Vashun and catch the west coast run!

Don

If you’re down in Riverside you aught to take the drive up to Idlewild. Pretty neat place. CA gives me mixed emotions these days. While I love it and long for it I also see what they’re doing to it.
Nice hotel photos. Did you fly out of Ontario(inland empire)? Much nicer than LAX.

Gremcat

Was thinking of driving up to San Bernardino mountains. I’m usually not a sightseer but might be a good drive.

Don

I know you like trees. The largest Sugar Pines are in the area of Idylwild. you won't believe them. If you look reel slowly u can spot little tiny-tiny colored dots on San Jacinto's rock faces. They are rock climbers if they're moving and If they're not moving then they're dead rock climbers. The squirrels in the area are huge fox squirrels and have had bubonic plague off and on in the past here and there.
Restaurants are awesome including a Chinese place. Been 10 yrs.
From certain places you can see west across LA and at other places, east, to Palm Springs and 29 Palms.

Gremcat

Couldn’t even make Big Bear. Low Desert hasn’t had rain in forever. Big Bear had 38 wash out entirely from Monday flood. Flight home delayed. Left CA at 4am Fri got in at 3am Sat. Back there in a few weeks though. Maybe I can time my Seattle trips around the fall run. Family has property on Vashun and fish run right by shore heating into river system.

Reactions: A-5