Trolling weight

Don

I found this for Uncle Melvin and Cousin ZeeManski. Since I don't have down riggers I thought of following this chart a bit. maybe some of these weights could be used to retrieve TC's fishing rods every few weeks.

Attachments

• Unknown.jpeg
    Unknown.jpeg
    17.8 KB · Views: 7

Melvinp

I found this for Uncle Melvin and Cousin ZeeManski. Since I don't have down riggers I thought of following this chart a bit. maybe some of these weights could be used to retrieve TC's fishing rods every few weeks.
Lol all ready have that one and z’s pretty good at finding rods that go over the side he found my custom made 7 ft one piece light action rod that took the plunge but I think it was because he didn’t want to build another one lol

Reactions: Don

Melvinp

I would guess that 20ft of line 2oz weight at 4mph would be close to 6ft depending on the lure you’re dragging and the shape of the weight and line size

Don

You folks are speedy. I was trying to troll beetle spins and it is 1st or 2nd speed on the trolling motor. Towing a grub on 15 lb mono.

Bootfoot

I don’t troll, I hate trolling, I never will troll again, and like most boaters I have two downriggers that have been sitting in my shed for at least 25 years. With that said, I always thought 1.5 to 2 MPH was the optimum trolling speed. Can’t say where I picked up that little nugget of useless knowledge but its what has always bounced around inside my head.

Reactions: Don

Solitario Lupo

You folks are speedy. I was trying to troll beetle spins and it is 1st or 2nd speed on the trolling motor. Towing a grub on 15 lb mono.
Speed all depends on what your going for. Bigger fish go faster. ;) I think for what your going after 1.5 to almost 3 is good to start. Sometimes just floating is better.

Melvinp

I’ve done it before and it does work ok but it does have a few draw backs since the stop is buried so far into the spool it will catch some of the line while casting so normal I don’t cast it often I peel it off the spool as the boat is moving and changing the amount of line out still becomes a guess because you can’t move the bobber stop.

Don

I wonder if a tick of colored nail polish would help. Either applied directly or used to smith over the thread bobber stops.

Don

I don’t troll, I hate trolling, I never will troll again, and like most boaters I have two downriggers that have been sitting in my shed for at least 25 years. With that said, I always thought 1.5 to 2 MPH was the optimum trolling speed. Can’t say where I picked up that little nugget of useless knowledge but its what has always bounced around inside my head.
I hear you. I want your down riggers. Drop them on Parker Ave please along with those fish from A-5. I don't really officially troll. I simply put a 1-2 ounce egg weight on a Texas rig and go real slow. It is a great way to locate fish when you don't have a Fishfinder.

Melvinp

The slow death roll seems like to me would work pretty good on days where the wind is blowing we’ve hit over 2mph just drifting no motor and I don’t think you would want it very fast I’ve seen it before but never took the plunge YET