Tying with bead heads.

panfishflies

How do you propekrly size them to the hooknd that you are tying on and how can you easily handle them and put them on the hook. I started to tie flies again after I retired after not tying much since the 70s. The bead heads are new to me and I struggle with them.

Reactions: Don

Melvinp

Some beads have the hook size on the pack like these another thing is that some hooks have a bigger barb than others micro bards or barbless make a big difference in how easily the beads slide over the barbs a lot of eagle claw and mustab hooks have very large barbs.If I get those beads that just don’t fit I’ll use a pine board to help push the beads past the barb but it does damage the barb somewhat.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0

Solitario Lupo

Also there are charts you can find on the internet tells you hook size to bead size. Like Mel said sometimes bigger barbs get in the way you can pinch them down. Also gotta watch hook bends if it’s a sharp bend in the hook bead will not go around. Looking for hooks with a wider gap.

When I take them out of the bags I do it over the table just in case I drop one. Then I pinch and lay flat side on pointer finger push the hook threw.

Another thing you can use which I don’t want confuse you as of now but once you start to learn again. You can use plastic or glass beads as heads also if you want less weight.

panfishflies

Couple vids on YouTube.

ss
Also there are charts you can find on the internet tells you hook size to bead size. Like Mel said sometimes bigger barbs get in the way you can pinch them down. Also gotta watch hook bends if it’s a sharp bend in the hook bead will not go around. Looking for hooks with a wider gap.

When I take them out of the bags I do it over the table just in case I drop one. Then I pinch and lay flat side on pointer finger push the hook threw.

Another thing you can use which I don’t want confuse you as of now but once you start to learn again. You can use plastic or glass beads as heads also if you want less weight.

Reactions: Don

Gremcat

You can make all kinds of flies with bead heads what’s your favorite.
I’d like those tiny stone fly like jigs with the hook facing up not down. Found some great ones but barbless. I use the same gear for trout and Steelhead so need a barb. I like wire hooks but with steelhead the light wire style might be too light.

Solitario Lupo

I’d like those tiny stone fly like jigs with the hook facing up not down. Found some great ones but barbless. I use the same gear for trout and Steelhead so need a barb. I like wire hooks but with steelhead the light wire style might be too light.
Have to look at hooks. I tried getting some before I sent some to you but only had them that size. Looks like jStockard got some hooks finally back in stock. Gotta have bard for steelheads as they like to spit the hook. As for as light wire hooks will not hold up to them big fish I’ve tried and they either break or straighten right out.

What size is that fly.

Gremcat

Have to look at hooks. I tried getting some before I sent some to you but only had them that size. Looks like jStockard got some hooks finally back in stock. Gotta have bard for steelheads as they like to spit the hook. As for as light wire hooks will not hold up to them big fish I’ve tried and they either break or straighten right out.

What size is that fly.
12 and 14

panfishflies

I have found that barbless hooks do not work well for smallmouth bass or bowfin. The bowfin will snap the light wire hooks. Tying the hook in an upright position looks like a good idea.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
How do you post something on here? I can`t seem to figure it out. Lacking computer skills and language that goes with it.
I assume you mean an image?

You’ll a see a button on the lower left that says “Attach Files”. Click it and keep clicking until you find your photo on your computer or phone and follow the prompts.