Vee vs mod Vee.

Don

So I’ve been looking at the Mod Vee and the Pro Vee. It seems like the Pro Vee 1650 Carries four at 650 or 700 lbs. whereas the 16 classic with its Modified Vee is only rated for 4 persons at 555lbs. I weigh 265 and my fishing buddies vary, I.e. two are 200, two are 160 and the wife and grandkids are all over the scale. I'm thinking I need a higher capacity than the modified Vee. With my son and I that would be 465 and one grandson added it would come up to 545, Yikes! The grandkids are growing fast.
The other thing is that I would feel safer in a Vee Hull in heavy chop or waves. I want to use this now and then in Bay or on Hudson, Raritan or rivers around Chesapeake. Not often but sometimes. I love the Pokamoke and Choptank and where they join the bay it can be a challenge.

Last edited:

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Sounds like you’re narrowing down your choices. Is there any circumstance that is making you float (pun intended!) towards a Mod V?

Don

I spend most of my time wether in salt or fresh water in water less than 4’ deep. I love clamming and crabbing and I love panfish snagging. Those activities suggest the usefulness of the flatter hull. But dryness and wave stability in larger lakes and bays suggest the benefit of having the
sharper but fuller bow of a Vee boat.
What think thee?
I don’t know that I would challenge the seas very much in either hull, one over the other. But in most boats of the same length a Vee boat is usually more stable in “final stability” not “ initial stability”. And a Vee usually carry’s more weight…important when reeling in the grandkids and fam.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
I don’t know that I would worry about the depth of water so much. If you look how boats draft, even the Deep Vs get into some skinny water. I believe my 16’ was 14”. I’d have to look that up in specs to be certain but I know it became less of concern for me as I was researching boats.

Don

Its a big deal in Rivers and Rocky lakes. My old Carolina drew only 10 inches at rest. Under way less than 6. With a 11" prop I still hit bottom allot in Ocracoke and some other areas. When you go aground in Sand its an embarrassment. When you go aground in rocks its an embarrassing Bill.

So you don't feel any difference btwn your old Pro and your new boat?

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Its a big deal in Rivers and Rocky lakes. My old Carolina drew only 10 inches at rest. Under way less than 6. With a 11" prop I still hit bottom allot in Ocracoke and some other areas. When you go aground in Sand its an embarrassment. When you go aground in rocks its an embarrassing Bill.

So you don't feel any difference btwn your old Pro and your new boat?

Fishing, not really any different. Even though I went from an 88" beam to a 75" beam, actual useable space inside is surprisingly a little bigger in my Crestliner as they have a wide bow and the storage is better thought out. When stepping on the trolling motor on say half power, will catch my passenger off guard if they were not expecting it. That is more of a weight issue and the power of my trolling motor. I am overkill with power on my trolling motor but I wanted an Ultrex and it is the lowest powered one in that series. I just have to be a better captain. ;)

Driving, the Deep V was better when making sharp turns. This one will chine walk easier much easier. If it were similarly powered, it would probably be downright scary.

Depth, no difference.

Don

Huh, depth no difference. That surprises me…in a good way. My last flat bottomed boat was 23’ long and it had sponsons on it that kept her in command when in turns. But with only final stability quartering waves would really make it buck.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Huh, depth no difference. That surprises me…in a good way. My last flat bottomed boat was 23’ long and it had sponsons on it that kept her in command when in turns. But with only final stability quartering waves would really make it buck.

You're not looking at a big boat in 16' so they only draft so much or little but definitely look at the specs before you buy.