Vest/Chest Pack

Gremcat

So vest has had it, tried a low price Amazon chest vest thing and didn’t like it at all. Thinking of just getting the Fishpond Thunderhead or whatever it’s called. Kind of pricey without trying it on. Anyone use a chest pack? Any other brands/styles to try? Mostly species specific fishing Trout locally or trips for Salmon/Steelhead now.

josey12340

I use a sling pack. Slide it in front when need something out of it and then back out of the way when fishing.

Reactions: Don

Gremcat

Josey I looked at slings too, do you hang net on your belt or ? I usually hang by magnet in my upper back by hoop. Sort if the reverse of many but handle stays close to hand. It’s a bit tough with my old nets being tall and not super flexible but I picked up a longer handle net.

Gremcat

Sling was wondering if it had enough separated pockets for gear and space for water/whatever. I go days without water but trying to get better at that. My body has an uncanny ability to skip a few days of food/water/sleep and keep going. I’m trying to be more conscious of that these days.

josey12340

I don't carry a net. If I can't land them without it oh well. Net always got in my way. I have a patagonia sling pack. Waterproof and I really like it. It does not have much in the way of separate pockets. I just carry the minimal gear for the kind of fishing im doing. It is a challenge if I use centerpin with all the different color and sizes of beads and floats and stuff so if you like to keep things separate the one I have isn't for you.

Last edited:

Nappy

Gremcat
I have a Allen chest pack but I use it as a sling pack. Has 3 zipper pouches and then separators inside each one.NOTE not waterproof but Drys fast.
You can put a lot more stuff than you want beleave me. Around 50 bucks

Solitario Lupo

I have a chest pack and then snaps onto a smaller backpack. The flies go into the chest pack and everything else went into the backpack. Work great for just my trout fishing but now everything is to small for the fishing I do now. So I upgraded to a sling backpack and a regular backpack. I carry all the big lures in the regular and the sling gets all my flies and plastics. Plus water and snacks. I usually set the big one down somewhere and then run around with the sling.

Solitario Lupo

Josey I looked at slings too, do you hang net on your belt or ? I usually hang by magnet in my upper back by hoop. Sort if the reverse of many but handle stays close to hand. It’s a bit tough with my old nets being tall and not super flexible but I picked up a longer handle net.
When I use a net I liked the one that had the stretchy cords on it and then go buy yourself those metal clips. You can clip it to yourself or any pack you want.

HenryDavid

I have so many vests, chest packs, waist packs and combinations I've lost track, Umpqua waist pack, William Joseph Watermark, Allen chest pack, Gander Mt.,.. I should probably get rid of a couple but every one of them suits a certain purpose. I have a fly vest for warm water fishing, another for trout only, sometimes I carry a sling pack or backpack for more gear. It's a little tricky when the hatches are out on the Susky and I want to switch to topwater spinning gear after dark, sometimes walking a mile or so on the river wading. I tend to loose track of the 2nd rod left along the river bank, lol

This one I would easily get rid of if anyone is interested. It's a quality double chest pack with backpack storage but the DD's get in my way when fly casting.william-joseph-Watermark Vest.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Gremcat

I don’t mind them but a chest pack I think I’d fight with. I have a hard enough time casting a pin or climbing into log jams on my favorite small stream. After thinking it over the vest had 2-3 main pockets I used and the rest were excess stuff I’d rarely use. We plan to release a lot more this year too so my elbow rest/creel won’t be needed. I think I’m going to use the Sitka shoulder strap upgrades to make my dual rod pack more comfy. I’ll use it’s big pockets for “nice to have/backup gear”, then I’m thinking of going with the Fishpond Switch Back Pro. It has the net holster and the bigger side pack that spins behind. I like the magnet closer on the pack. I looked at the waterproof stuff and it’s not as flexible pocket wise and it’s real hard to close waterproof zippers. I’m not paying FP’s tariff on the bottle holster, I’ll get the Umpqua one and save 10-15 bucks. My water bottle is big and I plan to hydrate this year. The Umpqua looks nice in that I can drop it in vs having to zip or pull tight a cord. It has a flip over cord to keep it in. I am trying to think through how I will maneuver and put stuff away. Once I settle I won’t think about it again and I’ll endure whatever shortcomings so preplanning.

I haven’t ordered yet, I want to see if Evening Hatch carries them and try it out plus support local if they do.

Gremcat

I have no boat/raft/canoe/ATV so it’s on me and I’m packing sometimes 6 miles round trip dropping and regaining 2k’ elevation in short distance/steep terrain. I hate carrying extra weight, probably should get back under 185 lbs honestly but awkward packs and gear are miserable as is two items fighting for the same spot like a pack/net/creel/rod bag.

All else fails my ILBE will become my 10 day supply/daily fishing bag😏 Could probably carry 12 rods and half a bait shop in it.