Walleye new record

Melvinp

There’s gotta be a way to catch a record and let it go I think there’s a c&r record book but you never hear anything about it that’s probably why I’m leaning more towards fishing then hunting I don’t have to clean it lol

Don

You bunch of sissys. Once dead it is no longer a dead fish. Who told you that. Once dead it is food for your plants (think corn and pumpkins like the pilgrims) and for some of you it is food for you thoughts. In some cases eggs for bait. Fuel for memories. Cast in the woods it is food for recovering species (big cats and omnivores like bear). Buck up all you softies!

By the way, "Records mean nothing to me".

A-5

I’m not saying you can’t keep fish. I’m saying people need education on which ones. Really ticks me off when I see a huge fish that can literally spawn 1,000’s of fry be killed when you can keep the smaller less mature ones. Leave the big ones go. As for some kill them all as in pickerel and flats. And I. Some places bass. Places get stunted with bass and a cull is needed. But such a trophy like that walleye. Total freaking shame.

A-5

Just to put it in perspective. That fish most likely was 15 years old. A 10lb walleye takes 10 years to grow. This actually makes me more pissed

A-5

You gotta understand. People kill the huge ones and let the smaller better table fair ones go. It’s mind boggling how selfish people are and clueless. Look I killed a absolute trophy fish pat me on the back. I’ll pat ya on the back.

truecrimson

The pat on the back is a leftover artifact from times when people were fishing to eat, and that fish was an important part of their families sustenance. A really big fish means a lot of food. Same for a big buck. In fishing we have the option not to kill them. So we have moved toward the totally unnatural act of Catch and release. In hunting, some people move to taking pictures and video. In 2000 my wife's family came down to Texas to meet mine. We warned them if my father says anything about turkey videos do not show any interest in them and for the love of God don't ask any questions. My wife's aunt made the mistake of doing both. We all retreated to the front porch and watched through the windows as she was made to watch a LOT of turkey video. By that point dad had been taking more pics and videos than shooting for about a decade. Mom and dad always had deer and turkey in the freezer, but they had a lot more on film.

Nothing wrong with keeping fish to eat, or to fertilize your garden. But in 2021 it does seem ridiculous to HAVE TO kill them to brag.

Maybe we should start some kind of campaign to get the rules changed around the records.

Solitario Lupo

You bunch of sissys. Once dead it is no longer a dead fish. Who told you that. Once dead it is food for your plants (think corn and pumpkins like the pilgrims) and for some of you it is food for you thoughts. In some cases eggs for bait. Fuel for memories. Cast in the woods it is food for recovering species (big cats and omnivores like bear). Buck up all you softies!

By the way, "Records mean nothing to me".
It doesn’t bother me if they keep the fish, home and actually eat them. It’s the ones that say I gotta fill my freezer and two or three years later they come across it and throw it away in the trash. With like 20 other fish.

pabassman

I’m not saying you can’t keep fish. I’m saying people need education on which ones. Really ticks me off when I see a huge fish that can literally spawn 1,000’s of fry be killed when you can keep the smaller less mature ones. Leave the big ones go. As for some kill them all as in pickerel and flats. And I. Some places bass. Places get stunted with bass and a cull is needed. But such a trophy like that walleye. Total freaking shame.
Selective harvest is the best way to preserve the fisheries. Example, Texas is known for big bass. Lake Fork in particular. Slot limits are used to protect the bigger fish. Genetically superior specimens. By killing a 10 pound brown, 5 pound bass, 6 pound walleyes ect only diminishes the quality herd. Like TC has stated. Everybody has cameras, video at their fingertips all the time. Measure it or weigh it and send it back.
According to the article the guy that caught it had to be persuaded by his son to get it checked. He was going to chop it up. Reports say he had several other big ones too. Likely be the same guy bitchin two years from now how he cant catch big walleyes anymore!

Reactions: A-5

Don

Sissy’s! And then ya go and trounce on my precious Pickerel. How dare you. Hahahaha. Kill it…it’s gonna die anyway. Then my pickerel will have more to eat. See how that works? Then fertilize your garden. See it was eaten after all. Just in zucchini or tomato form.
I would never do it cause I don’t care to keep old fish and I’m not too awlfully curious about records. I do like to see the records though. In Flaming gorge Ut and Wy taxidermists will make you a fish from photos. Accurate to the weight u say. Then you only need them out long enough to measure and weigh and back it goes.