We all need to meet somewhere!!!

truecrimson

We have a good size folding table we can bring if needed. Only one folding chair, except for camp chairs. Probably have half a dozen of those but they are low for a table.

Next time we'll bring the yaks. Monica's back has been bothering her so we left them home. We'll put you in one with a decent seat and see how that does for you.

Grem and I are talking about doing a section of the Lehigh. Grem, do you think Don's drift boat could handle that section? The yaks can drag bottom and even take a medium rock hit now and then, but his boat probably couldn't.

I rescheduled todays creek float for Wednesday. I'm doing a section further downstream than usual, so I'll let you know if that section is good for drift boats. I'll also try to remember to ask the outfitter who does my shuttling if the upstream sections are drift boat safe in Spring.

Gremcat

As it turns out this pavilion does not have any tables in it. Just one lone viewing bench facing the water. I don't know what, or even if, the vision is here but I realize we're in contact because of our joint love of fishing. I'd like to know you all better and steel all of your fishing secrets. I realize that a day at a river or lake may not be your standard preference and can potentially cost some free time. I hope we can hone in on a site whereby those that want to fish can and those that want to 'talk gear' can and those that want to nap can nap, lol. All this could culminate in some afternoon grilling and chit chat under a pavilion or canopy somewhere where we can come and go at our leisure. Havng a roof to get under will enable us to remain and socialize comforalbly if it becomes too rainy to fish. It may also encourage more of the spouses to attend... Oct. November, March.
Let me check something, I’ve a potential idea. Gotta figure out how to approach but if you know my haunts you might be able to read into it.

Gremcat

We have a good size folding table we can bring if needed. Only one folding chair, except for camp chairs. Probably have half a dozen of those but they are low for a table.

Next time we'll bring the yaks. Monica's back has been bothering her so we left them home. We'll put you in one with a decent seat and see how that does for you.

Grem and I are talking about doing a section of the Lehigh. Grem, do you think Don's drift boat could handle that section? The yaks can drag bottom and even take a medium rock hit now and then, but his boat probably couldn't.

I rescheduled todays creek float for Wednesday. I'm doing a section further downstream than usual, so I'll let you know if that section is good for drift boats. I'll also try to remember to ask the outfitter who does my shuttling if the upstream sections are drift boat safe in Spring.
Yep that run is exactly where guides run trips through. There’s one 18’ framed raft, a few 3 person cats, and downstream I see drift boats. Think the drift boats put in downstream but those are big boats. Don’s would probably do the full trip if a few short shallow rapids are ok.

Gremcat

I’m borrowing a larger raft to run from Drakes down to the Glen. It’s to decide if I want to invest in a 3 person short framed raft or cataraft. I know they get big fish between JT and Bowmanstown. I like the little spots and inaccessible tribs for creek lunches. I’m just worried it’ll be miserable porting over rocks or suicidal as it appears. No one seems to float that run when there isn’t a dam release but “Hold my beer and watch this” lol. If I can pull it off solo in a 16-18’ raft a smaller framed raft will only be better.

truecrimson

Portaging usually isn't fun. I've only had to do it one time and that was with the 39lb Pelican. I could do it with the vibe but it would be hard. I could not do it with the Ride or Moken.

Blackcat Outdoors

If you guys want to do a float trip somewhere, Pine Creek up here is great. I know several spots to stop for lunch or even canp if we would want to try an overnight sometime. It's easy to kyack or canoe.

A-5

I service hospitals. Mandatory vax for vendors. Today I had to register with my company as a non vaxed employee. Who says the mark of the beast isn’t real? It’s what I feel like. Time will tell

Reactions: Don

truecrimson

I'm with you. I'm also concerned about the cardiac effects given that I had a 6 bypass in 2012. Does your company offer a medical or religious exemption?

We're coming down to it here for vax mandates. I have until September 7th, but my FT job is in long term care, not a hospital. Right now the only hospital in the eastern half of PA requiring vax for their employees is Penn Medicine.

I have to turn in my medical exemption today and see if they take it. My co worker is doing a religious exemption.

A-5

More then Penn Medicine now.

let’s be perfectly clear. My company is not required me to vax. My vendors are. If my vendors shut the door on me. I don’t have a job. I’ll pray about it. And move on. My life will absolutely change. Who knows could be for the better.

Blackcat Outdoors

I could share my personal stories about this, but the short version is:. COVID just ran through about 15 people I know, mostly family and both vaxxed and unvaxxed. The vaxxed did fair better, but some still got sick, one still spent time in ICU. 2 unvaxxed were in the hospital including my wife, my sister in law is still in ICU.

My wife has other health issues that precluded her from the vaxx at the moment. Her doctor told her to try and wait for the more traditional vaccines that should be coming out by the end of the year, beginning of next year. They take longer to develop.

In contrast between work and friends/family, I literally know 2 people who had any kind of reaction to the various vaccines and they were mild. That's probably way over 100 people.

I think it's one of the most un- American things I've seen for people to be mandated (lets face it forced) to do anything. That's bs.

After seeing what the virus can do though, I'm probably going to get the J&J or one of the traditional vaccines when I'm able on top of the antibodies I have from having it. If nothing else, for my wife. I don't know how it would effect her if she ever got it again, we're going on almost 6 weeks of her struggling to do almost anything. It's not just about the death numbers from this, which are fairly low, it can have long lasting effects that are horrible in their own way.

I would never tell anyone what to do, so don't take this as me doing so. I just thought I'd share my recent experience with all this. Vaccine or not, take this crap seriously. Stay away from people with symptoms, wash/sanitize hands, stay home if you have any symptoms, etc. We all caught this from someone who should have known better and stayed home when they weren't feeling well. Now at least 3 people are going to have months of recovery, if they ever fully recover.

If anyone wants more details, feel free to pm me. I don't want to clog up this thread with covid crap.

It sounds like I missed a good time at the get together. Hopefully I can make the next one whenever it is.

truecrimson

I feel for you Blackcat, and wish you and your wife and family didn't have to go through that. I wish no one had to go through it. I've been praying for you and your wife and I am sure others have as well.

I've been working with covid patients since it started, in the full range of environments from front line critical care to long term care to a long term trach/respiratory unit. Last May I left a job in long term care and went back to the hospital for a contract over the summer. While I was working in hospitals I kept a part time and PRN job in long term care. I've seen covid destroy people I thought should be OK, and I've seen people I thought for sure would die get through it like it was a standard pneumonia they'd get any other year.

As far far as family, a number of my relatives got covid last year, before vaccines existed. Some of them had some extensive co morbidities, including COPD. We were very concerned at the time. They all survived and none have had any long term affects that we can see yet. On the other hand this year I lost 2 relatives to covid, 1 vaccinated and 1 not.

My wife got the Pfizer vaccine back in April and May. Since then all of her previous health issues have been in a continuous flare up. She puts on a good show of normality in public, but at home she falls apart. So I am looking at that thinking why I would take that chance?

And then there is the fact that I have not gotten covid. Even with working with covid patients in ER, ICU, and nursing homes from 150-400 beds that were falling apart with it, I managed not to get covid all this time. There is no way I did everything perfectly with PPE all this time, especially with the limits we were under in the beginning. So I surmise that I have some level of resistance. And some level of blessing.

I'd rather take my chances with the virus than the vaccine. That's just my personal opinion and not something I would push on anyone else.

As far as clogging up the thread, the get together it was for already happened. There is no need to stay on topic anymore. Heck, we never do anyway ;) So feel free to give us any details you want to share.

truecrimson

More then Penn Medicine now.

let’s be perfectly clear. My company is not required me to vax. My vendors are. If my vendors shut the door on me. I don’t have a job. I’ll pray about it. And move on. My life will absolutely change. Who knows could be for the better.
Who else besides Penn is now requiring it? Praying for you.

Reactions: A-5

Blackcat Outdoors

I feel for you Blackcat, and wish you and your wife and family didn't have to go through that. I wish no one had to go through it. I've been praying for you and your wife and I am sure others have as well.

I've been working with covid patients since it started, in the full range of environments from front line critical care to long term care to a long term trach/respiratory unit. Last May I left a job in long term care and went back to the hospital for a contract over the summer. While I was working in hospitals I kept a part time and PRN job in long term care. I've seen covid destroy people I thought should be OK, and I've seen people I thought for sure would die get through it like it was a standard pneumonia they'd get any other year.

As far far as family, a number of my relatives got covid last year, before vaccines existed. Some of them had some extensive co morbidities, including COPD. We were very concerned at the time. They all survived and none have had any long term affects that we can see yet. On the other hand this year I lost 2 relatives to covid, 1 vaccinated and 1 not.

My wife got the Pfizer vaccine back in April and May. Since then all of her previous health issues have been in a continuous flare up. She puts on a good show of normality in public, but at home she falls apart. So I am looking at that thinking why I would take that chance?

And then there is the fact that I have not gotten covid. Even with working with covid patients in ER, ICU, and nursing homes from 150-400 beds that were falling apart with it, I managed not to get covid all this time. There is no way I did everything perfectly with PPE all this time, especially with the limits we were under in the beginning. So I surmise that I have some level of resistance. And some level of blessing.

I'd rather take my chances with the virus than the vaccine. That's just my personal opinion and not something I would push on anyone else.

As far as clogging up the thread, the get together it was for already happened. There is no need to stay on topic anymore. Heck, we never do anyway ;) So feel free to give us any details you want to share.
Thank you for the thoughts and prayers. It's appreciated and reciprocated.

My wife volunteered in a long term facility when everything started, until they wouldn't let volunteers in anymore. It ravaged them around here and my wife kept up with the staff she knew there for a lot of it.

I thought I had it once before, back at the very beginning of everything. I still might have, as that was over a year ago. I wasn't tested back then, but had all the symptoms. I kinda figured I had antibodies anyway, so I wasn't concerned with getting a vaccine for it. This time I barely knew I was sick, until I lost my sense of smell.

You may have had it at some point and never knew also. My daughter throughout this whole thing has never even had so much as a sniffle. I would have a hard time believing she did contract it, it's not like we wear PPE around the house. I'm sure Wolfy will try and mandate that eventually too 🙄.

A-5

Blackcat an TC prayers will be sent. Blackcat. Why get the shot if you had the virus? Natural anti bodies are way better than getting the shot. I’ll take natural anti bodies over the shot any day. Obviously it’s tk each your own. No judgement here. You do what’s best for you. I need my job however

Blackcat Outdoors

Blackcat an TC prayers will be sent. Blackcat. Why get the shot if you had the virus? Natural anti bodies are way better than getting the shot. I’ll take natural anti bodies over the shot any day. Obviously it’s tk each your own. No judgement here. You do what’s best for you. I need my job however
Quite simply, because I'm about 95% sure that was the second time I've had the virus. I think natural immunity is probably better, at least in the short term for sure. With the way my wife reacted, I'm just planning on hedging my bets. My mom too, she survived Covid last year, just barely. She has COPD and diabetes. Her and Dad are vaccinated, but so was my father in law and he ended up in the hospital. Anyway I can keep from trying to become symptomatic again basically.

I don't ever see an end to this. It's a virus, it mutates and evolves. That's what viruses do. This is with us probably for the rest of of most people here's lives. I have no doubt I'll probably get it again someday as will every single person. The best thing is if we all develop antibodies to it. It's whay the Swine flu was lethal in 1918, but not as much today (it's still around). I believe Covid will be like that eventually.

Reactions: A-5