Weather

Gremcat

Looks like it’ll be cooling off and rain finally. Of course, I’m in CT and it’s 10 -15 degrees hotter. Cooled after storm just now but winding down from the day. Tomorrow when I’m in plant, no AC, it’ll be 90 again…..

Don

Did u take the fly rod? Stripers may be in the sounds around Rocky Neck and other areas and the CT river should be on fire.

Solitario Lupo

This is the time those trout nuts would say leave the trout alone but I say rescue those fish and take them home for the dinner plate.

Solitario Lupo

Glad I got some fishing in when I did the water is sure warming up quick with this hot sunny days. A lot of walleye still being caught in the shallows but they move to deeper waters soon.
Some crazy weather it has been so far. Already starting to get to hot to fish.

Don

I hear ya on water temp. Its been nice but has got to be getting tougher on the fish.

HenryDavid

F.E.W. Dam on the Lehigh River at White Haven water temps (Downstream, Upstream)
D/S Temperature: 58.3°F
U/S Temperature: 66.7°F

There may be hope for us yet, early AM should still be doable on the bigger waters

Reactions: Don

A-5

Everyone back off the cliff. Cold front coming mega cool down. Ok back at it see ya

Reactions: Don

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
This time of year is literally the best time of year to fish for trout. I’ve never understood why people chase trout in winter. Well, to a degree I do that is, pun intended.

Trout will bite in colder water than most species so they become the goto target by anglers but until water temperatures turn around 52 degrees or higher, trout are not actively feeding.

The key to summer trout fishing is finding streams that remain cool, 72-73 and under. Fortunately, Pa has many of those tempered streams and if you visit a class A or even B rated stream that hasn’t been recently fished by another angler, you’re in for one of your best trout days you’ve ever had.

WADMAN

Fishing the Susky couple times over the past few weeks. Below A-5s flathead dam the smallies are going CRAZY! Water is boiling with fish. Plastics, cranks, topwater.... they are hitting everything! Me and a buddy or 2 combine easily hit triple digits each time out. Nothing big... largest has been 16"ish. Great sign for past few hatches. Buddy even pulled 24" flathead out on suspending crankbait!

Gremcat

I like all the seasons but my favorite is skinny water, preferably fast pockets with log jams, early summer when it’s really flowing, add overcast and a drizzly rain and I’m in heaven. I don’t like the sun much in general.
I agree TS, the fish in the Lehigh stack up on the cold trib confluences. I fish those cool pools catching some pretty awesome fish. I just like small water more honestly. I like the challenge of solving how to present/reach those fish under debris on fast water pockets and even more how to get an angry 18”+ out of those log jams. My kind of puzzle I guess. Each pocket/run adds a spin on complexity.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
I like all the seasons but my favorite is skinny water, preferably fast pockets with log jams, early summer when it’s really flowing, add overcast and a drizzly rain and I’m in heaven. I don’t like the sun much in general.
I agree TS, the fish in the Lehigh stack up on the cold trib confluences. I fish those cool pools catching some pretty awesome fish. I just like small water more honestly. I like the challenge of solving how to present/reach those fish under debris on fast water pockets and even more how to get an angry 18”+ out of those log jams. My kind of puzzle I guess. Each pocket/run adds a spin on complexity.

Sounds like you and I have a similar mind to fishing. I love figuring them out and fishing new water.

I’ve fished Bear during the summer off of Lehigh from the mouth of the Lehigh back up. Fish a pool, climb a bus sized boulder, rinse and repeat. Not an easy trip but good cool water.

Reactions: A-5

HenryDavid

Sounds like you and I have a similar mind to fishing. I love figuring them out and fishing new water.

I’ve fished Bear during the summer off of Lehigh from the mouth of the Lehigh back up. Fish a pool, climb a bus sized boulder, rinse and repeat. Not an easy trip but good cool water.
I've heard that Bear is a serious bush wack

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
I've heard that Bear is a serious bush wack

Getting to the mouth isn’t too bad. For the most part, a trail down to the last hill. It’s the last hill where you have to get creative.

Been quite a few years since I’ve done it. I don’t know that it is something I would want to tackle today. Physically, I am probably in better shape today than when I last fished it as I got in shape during Covid but I’m older and stuff hurts the next day and the day after now. Lol.

HenryDavid

I think "Bush Wack" is the wrong term, rock climbing would be more like it. I used to love those adventures, I'm much older and wiser now. One of my best adventures scaling ravines was a few years ago descending waterfall after waterfall, gorge after gorge in the Loyalsock state forest, man it felt good. I don't think I could do it now, too risky.