Weedless in-line spinners

Don

Won't be long now and things will open up and the season will begin. I have a growing curiosity for the use of spinners and here is where I'd like to use them more: shallow water areas that have lanes between lilies and grasses, also in deep water trolling a Carolina Rig. Due to tangling I wouldn't normally use inline spinners anywhere near weeds as there are so many better weed-free options.

Interesting variation:

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
I have made some very similar spinners to these spinners. They never performed how I like because it is hard to keep them deep. I then discovered chatterbaits and they achieved what I was looking to do so I have not looked back.

Don

Interesting I would have thought it would be Easy to keep it deep if trolling a 1 or 2 ounce egg and a 3' leader. So would you say it isn't a real practical thing to fish Inline's deeply. Are they more limited to say 5-8'?

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Interesting I would have thought it would be Easy to keep it deep if trolling a 1 or 2 ounce egg and a 3' leader. So would you say it isn't a real practical thing to fish Inline's deeply. Are they more limited to say 5-8'?
I’ve used trolling sinkers with my spinners but never had any success. I’ll admit, I didn’t put a lot of time into the method because I just didn’t enjoy it.

I find inline spinners in a lake / pond to work best casting to the shoreline and bringing them back, usually getting a strike in the first few cranks. I’ve also noticed that inline spinners will cause a significant amount more of line twist while fishing in steady water vs a flowing stream.

Don

I was talking about that on Fishing Talks and a member advised me to alway use a swivel btwn the line and the spinner.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
I was talking about that on Fishing Talks and a member advised me to alway use a swivel btwn the line and the spinner.
It will help but you’ll find at times the blade of the spinner is not keeping up due to the swivel. A catch 22 if you will.

Melvinp

If you want to throw spin blades in the muck then spinner baits and buzz baits are the ticket even a open hook sub surface spinner bait will pull through the cabbage better than a standard style spinner the blade and skirt help(not cure) but help with that

Don

I don't disagree but the only benefit is that the hook is Jig-styled. Does the willow leaf pass through weeds the best? I was thinking to use a Gammy or Eagle claw weedless bait hook, maybe with a Mariboo skirt, on an inline. I'd use a micro swivel (25lb) for the swivel as they're less efficient than a more reasonable size.

Don

I don't disagree but the only benefit is that the hook is Jig-styled. Does the willow leaf pass through weeds the best? I was thinking to use a Gammy or Eagle claw weedless bait hook, maybe with a Mariboo skirt, on an inline. I'd use a micro swivel (25lb) for the swivel as they're less efficient than a more reasonable size.
I’m speculating above. No experience to base those thoughts on.

Don

This is cool. I found this in a baggie of stuff I Acquires at a flea last summer. It dawned on me that it is hand made. The clevis is twisted wire. the body appears to be a pen barrel. The feathers are real whole feathers. The hooks are bent wide open.

Attachments

• IMG_2588.jpeg
    IMG_2588.jpeg
    342.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2589.jpeg
    IMG_2589.jpeg
    1,016.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2587.jpeg
    IMG_2587.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 5

Don

Might be the reason. I noticed hooks bent out seem to hook panfish better. Doesn't it make you wonder who made it and what the were thinking that day, and did the chicken ever forgive them?

Melvinp

This is cool. I found this in a baggie of stuff I Acquires at a flea last summer. It dawned on me that it is hand made. The clevis is twisted wire. the body appears to be a pen barrel. The feathers are real whole feathers. The hooks are bent wide open.
That’s somebody’s pride and joy that got snagged a few many times lol no just somebody trying to catch the little fish just bumping there spinner so they bent the hooks out but just like everyone else just guessing

Don

Could be. I may give-it-a-go again after replacing the hook. Would you use Mariboo or Feather or nothing on the hook?

Don

I couldn't resist taking this old rooster tail that I got for free and re-vamping it with a single eagle claw weedless #6 hook.

Attachments

• IMG_2590 2.JPG
    IMG_2590 2.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 7

Melvinp

I couldn't resist taking this old rooster tail that I got for free and re-vamping it with a single eagle claw weedless #6 hook.
Itill work for the right fish at the right time lol send that baby into the brush

Don

Brush maybe but I was thinking shallow stumpfield early season bottom weeds. Back end of either Gouldsboro or Shahola swamp in early spring. Easy to brag, harder to produce, both are fun....Z set me straight on the Rod. Thanks