What components do you use?

Don M

I'm curious to see what components, people are using to build rods.
I have been using mostly MHX blanks (Mudhole). American Tackle aluminum & graphite reel seats. Fuji KL guides, using this KR GPS for placement, Anglers Resource® / Fuji® Rod Components: The Source Threadmaster lite for the wraps. Various epoxies for reel seats and handles.
I now turn my own cork for handles.
I also coat my finished rods with Perma-Gloss. And all the one's I use at the end of the season.

Don

I'm too new to this to have any preferences. I do admire some of the MHX blanks but have only used the cheaper blanks from CRB. Only made two but they work as expected and look great.

Don M

MHX blanks lifetime guarantee, just pay shipping. Of course not if you step on it close a car door on it. But I did return one that my nephew broke tip top in the ground,,and snap.

Solitario Lupo

Really can’t comment myself as the only blank I got is from hook and hackle. Lifetime warranty also so I’ll have to see how good it actually is.

A-5

Honestly the smaller flexibility of trout rods if you fish correctly don’t last. I realize this years ago. Gremcat has since cemented it for me. Honestly this rod is the only trout rod I will buy. My current pa trout rod is a 10’ 3wt maybe. It’s a float rod. It’s not a traditional trout rod. But actual rod j would buy is below

A-5

4’6 to 7’.

Cheap enough to replace and absolutely nothing else needed

A-5

Understood Don. But when fished hard they don’t last is kinda my point. Custom rods are great but when you invest the time and resources to build a rod the price for a custom rod is what $100 /$200/300 bucks. When I can break a $20 out 5-15 times over 29 years to catch the same fish.

Don

I have that rod in 4.5’. It’s dependable. But I agree with don. Nothing like a custom rod. I have around 75 rods that I acquired for a dollar here and 3$ there. It’s fun to sort through them and fish one. But most of them are 6’ or less and to limber for my needs. You might say they are pond rods.

Don M

True I have built rods in excess of $100 - $150. I also built the rods I give kids, 4.5'-5' rods for under $40.00, some I use till I see a young angler.
Another thing to consider placement of guides can accommodate a reel size. And the fact I like a rapid reduction guide train.
Being an X alcoholic, all these fishing hobbies are time well spent;)

Gremcat

Understood Don. But when fished hard they don’t last is kinda my point. Custom rods are great but when you invest the time and resources to build a rod the price for a custom rod is what $100 /$200/300 bucks. When I can break a $20 out 5-15 times over 29 years to catch the same fish.
Yeah I fish them hard and often. I like the light rods and I like length unlike most trout only guys. A-5 convinced me of that on spinning/float and my St Croix is my go to in general for bait. It’s an 8’ 5wt that’s held up to everything one could throw at it. The 10 lbs Donaldson Super Trout have been as close as I’ve gotten to thinking my rod would break and that’s saying something.

For guides as much as I fish tight quarters I prefer larger guides. The micro tips don’t buy me much accuracy and they are guaranteed to freeze solid regardless of line, Ice paste, etc. For others casting heavier lures and such I can maybe see it but then an UL tip wouldn’t really fit that rod I wouldn’t think.

Of course, to A-5’s point, when I break one and have cut it down to the next guide to keep fishing casting accuracy goes out the window entirely. I’m thinking for my next build something like a 7’ one piece or 10’6” two piece and Large K frames for bottom half with recoils up top. SiC or some coating not sure which. I’m ok with light weight and long soft rods that might not survive more than 2 seasons for the sensitivity I’m looking for. I do think on these bigger trout a 2-4lbs rated rod is pushing it. The St Croix gets it worse when I’m in small log choked creek. Fish jump log jams or into them and I’m not above unwinding my line to land em. I’ve had my rod tip wrap around a log more than 50% and still managed to land the angry 16” Brookie.

Gremcat

I also burn through small soft shot fast. With such drastic changes run to run I’m constantly adjusting my shot pattern and placement. I probably cut or add 2-3 shot every run/hole or two.

Gremcat

All that said, I’m really wanting to try a Sage One 5-6wt 12’ Spey blank for a rod. Maybe 2, one Float and one spin. There’s another company Im talking to that has a perfect spec rod for less than I can buy components for unless blank is junk. 13 rods or something, it’s a 7’6” one piece with K frames and split grip for sub ~ $150. It’s listed as their 2021 Panfish/Trout rod but they responded I can’t add to my cart because it’s still unavailable.