What did 2022 Learn You

Don

I'd love to hear of your wins, losses, lessons, and skills that you acquired in the past year. What was special, what sucked? Its the end of the year and so what are your conclusions as you go into dormancy ( except the ICERS).

Among other things I know that I've learned allot here. I grew up on a farm and if it wouldn't have been for local farm ponds I'd never have caught anything over the size of a sunny. Then at eighteen God blessed me with a wonderful wife and soon a family. Fishing lost track with work and the frenetic soccer pace that we kept for the next 25 yrs. At 60 I began fishing again. Slowly at first but steadily increasing. Each year since then I carelessly chose an area to learn or practice. So for 2022 Professor Troutspinner and Henchman A-5 were responsible for my ventures into jigs, PA and Sol were the Kieteck and/or Bait dudes and Melvin...Melvin, Hmmmm, well.... Then DonM joined and almost taught me Floundering.

So this year I tried every form of jigs that I could imagine. Some I really liked and some not so much but I thank you all for the advice and patience. For 2023 I hope to become knowledgable with the use of spoons and blades. That's my goal and thank you all. I hope you all connect with family and enjoy the holidays. For those that need it I wish you rest and comfort.

Did you actually read all of this?

A-5

Learned how to flip pads. I learned to fish the Salmon River more efficiently. Drive to Rochester NY. Oil spraying all over. Drive back to pa. 11 hours got back in a different car drive 5.5 more hours back up past Rochester. Fished and came home. My oil filter had a hole in it. It could have been fixed up there blah

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
I learned that I can read 3 paragraphs to completion. ;)

With fishing, I can’t say that I learned a lot this year but my boat I purchased last year made it possible for me to extend the waters I do fish and I look forward to enjoying more of that this year.

Gremcat

I learned I need to fish more. The board thing consumed most of my energy and non-working time. I also learned sometimes a kid just wants to cast on his own even if he’s not catching fish. And sometimes casting on his own in shallows or wherever it flies to he might outfish you catching an 8.5 lbser. I guess I try to create success through force of will. I need to remember why I’m out there sometimes. No problem when I’m solo but add a kid and I put a lot more pressure on myself to get them fish. I don’t think they really care much about fish caught on those trips.

It’s the ride home McFlurries. No dad can compete with that blend of fat and sugar!

MB3

I learned a good deal about Shahola. I learned that if you look hard enough or with the help of locals you can find off the beaten hidden treasures. After that I didn't learn anything more than I already knew, fishing wise at least.

I also learned my life isn't set up to fish like I once did. That has to change. There is more to life than over time, paying bills, sacrificing and constant stress. Actually, there really isn't, but fishing helps me deal with accepting it all better.

Blackcat Outdoors

I learned a good deal about Shahola. I learned that if you look hard enough or with the help of locals you can find off the beaten hidden treasures. After that I didn't learn anything more than I already knew, fishing wise at least.

I also learned my life isn't set up to fish like I once did. That has to change. There is more to life than over time, paying bills, sacrificing and constant stress. Actually, there really isn't, but fishing helps me deal with accepting it all better.
This, I'm hoping to rectify it in the coming years. Only thing good about getting older, is I'm finally getting close to a place where I can slow down and do more of what I enjoy. Might not be next year, but at least I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, so to say.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Like others I learned I need to make more time for fishing. Not sure how but it needs to happen.
I complain to my buddies all the time about this. You have NO IDEA what “retirement” might look like. I watched my old man get his body broken, my grandfather’s mobility limited by being on oxygen from working at the tire factory. Stop putting off the things you want to enjoy until tomorrow…..you may not get there.

Don

Melvin, that is a wall quote. Stencil that onto weathered old boards and sell them for the living rooms of the HoityToitee.
Well Done.