What did you break today

Bootfoot

For me it was my cabelas three forks fly rod that I bought as a combo For 89 bucks years and years ago. I bought a new pair of wading boots and wanted to try them. So I grab a good fly rod and my stuff and loaded up the truck. At the last minute I switched rods to the cabelas rod because i didn’t want a good rod to be thrown in the back of the truck. I get to the creek, I set the rod against the truck, get dolled up in my waders, put my air pods and the secure my phone in a waterproof bag. All ready to go, all I need to do is close the tailgate. You guessed it, snapped it right in half So I reverse everything I just did, drive home and put everything away. So now I’m in need of a new beater rod.

Don

Make one. Proof Fly Fishing is currently having a sale. Matt Draft is a nice, helpful man and has allot of blanks. Or even kits.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
That sucks to hear. You’re not the first and I am sure not the last to be victim of a tailgate, hatch or door.

I always see that as opportunity though. I buy a good one and then demote the least expensive into the beater position. I just demoted a rod yesterday. Dobyns got me to open my wallet again. Lol

Reactions: Don

truecrimson

See, if you had a Rav4 you wouldn't have broken your fly rod 🤣

I have leaned rods against a vehicle in the past and then driven away and run over them. Hate it when that happens. Ollies sometimes has cheap rods that make good beaters.

Bootfoot

That sucks to hear. You’re not the first and I am sure not the last to be victim of a tailgate, hatch or door.

I always see that as opportunity though. I buy a good one and then demote the least expensive into the beater position. I just demoted a rod yesterday. Dobyns got me to open my wallet again. Lol
First time for me but I’ve been experiencing lots of first as of late. all of my rods are beaters because I don’t fall for the expensive rod hype. I’m hoping to replace it cheap. I didn’t know what a Dobyns was so I googled it. I wouldn’t spend that much on 2 or even 3 rods.
See, if you had a Rav4 you wouldn't have broken your fly rod 🤣

I have leaned rods against a vehicle in the past and then driven away and run over them. Hate it when that happens. Ollies sometimes has cheap rods that make good beaters.
I also had a cup of coffee. I don’t think a fly rod, waders, boots, staff, sling pack and a cup of coffee would fit in a Rav4.
I hate sticking my rod n truck beds. All kinds of stuff can break them.
My truck bed is empty. It’s not like I do manual labor with my truck. It was either a truck or something that can’t tow. Naturally I went with the truck.

Don

"First time for me but I’ve been experiencing lots of first as of late. all of my rods are beaters because I don’t fall for the expensive rod hype. I’m hoping to replace it cheap. I didn’t know what a Dobyns was so I googled it. I wouldn’t spend that much on 2 or even 3 rods."

I feel the same way for my 'everyday stuff'. But the more I specifically target a species the more specific I become. I switched from Ollies to Montgomery Wards years ago. Then to Ted Williams and Now I arrived at Ugly stick. Top of the world foe me these days! lol.

My Fly Rods are old , rebuilt, painted or polished Wright McGills. I'm hoping to go SixGill or Kastmaster next year for Baitcaster rods.

Don

Troutspinner which do you recommend. I really liked what you had on the boat when I was down. very light.

HenryDavid

Last fall I picked up a Piscifun 7 wt. fly rod, it's chinese of course but based on the reviews it was a good rod. I haven't even used it yet but it looks to be decent quality.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Troutspinner which do you recommend. I really liked what you had on the boat when I was down. very light.
I’m not sure which one you looked at. Do you remember a color?

I had St Croix, G.Loomis and Dobyns at that time. I am phasing out my St. Croix Mojo Bass rods and allocating them to salt duty.

Yes, I like pricey stuff. ;). I do feel a significant difference from the St Croix Mojo Bass to the G.Loomis and Dobyns. I would put the Dobyns a step ahead in weight and balance on the G.Loomis but their sensitivity is identical.

Bootfoot

My all time favorite rod is $25

And I’m serious
Ugly stik? All my striper rods are ugly stik Tiger elites. Great rod. I also have a GX2 i use for carp and for a son in law striper rod.

I like expensive stuff and I also like having lots of money in the bank. I can’t do both so I choose lots of money in the bank. I think that makes me cheap or eccentric or something.

Don

Hooked a striper last night. Pulled me all around. But then he found the anchor line that we had forgotten to pull up. He circled it several times and broke off 15 lb test. Oh well. Buddy landed a beautiful smaller. A second that appeared the same size got off. Fun night in the pitch black.

Attachments

• 2299BFC1-D07B-4FC9-A268-0B539DAB2D71.jpeg
    2299BFC1-D07B-4FC9-A268-0B539DAB2D71.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Hooked a striper last night. Pulled me all around. But then he found the anchor line that we had forgotten to pull up. He circled it several times and broke off 15 lb test. Oh well. Buddy landed a beautiful smaller. A second that appeared the same size got off. Fun night in the pitch black.
Ahh, the story of an angler's life. Always fun!

Reactions: Don

Don

Always fun. I never felt a fish that I couldn't turn with ease. Using live Alewives and they do the work. First time I ever fished with the bail open...holding the line like as if fly fishing and now I see why.

Last edited: