What did you break today

Gremcat

I use them t
For Ned rig and finesse stuff. Bass. Watch me roar
My Bro catches everything from fat pickerel to 8 lbs hybrid steelhead trout on the 4’6” to 5’er. Amazed me until our youth derby, kid caught a 11-12 lbs angry trout on a ice fishing jig pole. His dad said it’s goofy but he catches most fish on it. I found a vid of a guy catching a 30 lbs king from a pier with an ice jig rod so it’s doable. Guy in vid hauled it in too. I saw the line angle and just kept waiting for reel to rip from seat.

Gremcat

When Z said he had a 1 piece UL i pivoted but first instinct last spring was to try his ice jigging rods as a travel trout rod for my drives to CT. I cross a lot of nice water and CT stocks 5-600 Atlantics too.

Gremcat

Those are favored by the Lifting crowd for NY king salmon so can’t be low reliability. I swam with my first salmon longer than I care to admit on a big spinning setup and their power wore me out. I cant imagine that repeated stress level on a fly reel. Most guys are running 9’ heavies to so not much relief provided by the rod.
A-5 we’ve to figure out a PCM rod. Soft when you want soft, sensitive when you want sensitive, all backbone when needed.

One rod to rule them all, Fly to Float. Not sure anyone is working in pcm meets carbon fiber space or if the tech is mature enough to be economical in this application but I think we can at least improve on current technology. Nano like Sage X and others are pushing is older tech than all of us. Needs a shot in the arm to make the $1k+ blank meet modern tech to align cost to performance. Riding brand is a failing strategy over the long haul. Unless your Toyota your brand loyalty is so fickle tomorrow you could disappear and no one notices.

PAF Fishing Innovations, lol. I can build that narrative.

Reactions: A-5

Gremcat

Almost like losing a child. I got it out of suv and pulling leader heard crunch. Guess those 8-10 lbs hybrids repeatedly along with some massive carp were too much. It actually split right up the tube in a lot of spots. Have others but this was going to my grave with me. Still don’t know what I’ll do. Maybe St Croix can reverse rebuild and slide a blank into existing handle if they cut off handle from existing rod. Sounds odd I know but the handle is like an old glove and thousands of fish stories worn into it.E1285013-6103-4D12-8C1E-F526C7C52D43.jpeg

MB3

Yeah that is misery, hate the sight and the sound of a broken gear.

I fell down a steep embankment at a stream and heard "snap". When I crawled out of the crater I created, ny fly rod was no more but I carried its carcass home for a proper burial.

Another time I had a lure get stuck, snap back and hit the rod tip snapping it off. I don't handle stuff like that very well. Now I keep back ups in my car and Shiela's so my bad luck doesn't cost me a chance to fish.

Gremcat

Yeah that is misery, hate the sight and the sound of a broken gear.

I fell down a steep embankment at a stream and heard "snap". When I crawled out of the crater I created, ny fly rod was no more but I carried its carcass home for a proper burial.

Another time I had a lure get stuck, snap back and hit the rod tip snapping it off. I don't handle stuff like that very well. Now I keep back ups in my car and Shiela's so my bad luck doesn't cost me a chance to fish.
Yeah I had a spinning rod with me and catching a 6lbs rainbow in a random spot sorta made it a good morning.

Reactions: MB3

Solitario Lupo

It always hurts losing that one rod. Now since I know how to build my own they come with lifetime warranty so if they go snap I can get it replaced.

Reactions: Don

Don

I know what you meant to say , I’m building one right now

Last edited:

Gremcat

It always hurts losing that one rod. Now since I know how to build my own they come with lifetime warranty so if they go snap I can get it replaced.
Yeah, I’ve broken rods including being around when nice ones made by members here broke. This was as you said, the one rod. Ever have any luck getting a blank to fit an old handle/reel seat or am I asking for issues?

Don

Yeah, I’ve broken rods including being around when nice ones made by members here broke. This was as you said, the one rod. Ever have any luck getting a blank to fit an old handle/reel seat or am I asking for issues?
It may be possible. I’ve only ever seen handles sacrificed in order to save the rod blanks. Interesting question.

Gremcat

I’m sure you can get a blank to fit but taking off the old one is hard to do. Cut a start drilling it out.
My thought is to maybe cut it off flush or more likely just proud of the grip. Then I could wrap the stub to the new blank for a little extra support. Depending on the blank I could open up the handle. I’ve a 53’ trailer my new team uses for automation installs with a mill in it and a few other goodies. Could probably get a local machine shop owner to use a horizontal mill to bore it out too. Guess the question then is how to recreate the original. I’m guessing it’ll have to be a lighter profile rod.

Suppose I should start looking for another 8’6” Imperial 5wt. It may even be an 8’.

Gremcat

My thought is to maybe cut it off flush or more likely just proud of the grip. Then I could wrap the stub to the new blank for a little extra support. Depending on the blank I could open up the handle. I’ve a 53’ trailer my new team uses for automation installs with a mill in it and a few other goodies. Could probably get a local machine shop owner to use a horizontal mill to bore it out too. Guess the question then is how to recreate the original. I’m guessing it’ll have to be a lighter profile rod.

Suppose I should start looking for another 8’6” Imperial 5wt. It may even be an 8’.
It’s also a 2 piece which isn’t common. I recall seeing one for sale and thinking I should buy it but that was years ago now.

truecrimson

Talking out of my ass here. I know F all about rod building and my machine shop experience is almost 30 years old, limited, and way out of date.

Is there a lathe in the trailer? I think that would work better than a mill. Chuck it up carefully, center it well with a dial indicator if the lathe chuck isn't self centering. Put a really thin drill bit in the, um, thingy at the other end. Advance it slow and careful.

Step.up the drill size a fraction and repeat, slow and careful. Keep stepping up a fraction at a time until you get to the diameter you want.

Probably a wood lathe would be a better choice than a metal lathe. Never used one so I don't know anything about them but I can foresee problems using machine tools designed for metal on a non metal rod handle.