What did you Buy Today?

Melvinp

As usual I did the opposite of MB3 (he catches fish, I don't ;) ). I went shorter and lighter instead of longer and harde.......wait, what are we talking about now?

I love the old Wilderness Ride 135. But at 88 lbs and 13'6" it's a beast out of the water. I am apparently not getting any younger so last Monday I picked up a Vibe Yellowfin. 57 lbs, 10'.

Got it wet yesterday on the Swattie. I love it. Primary stability is not as good as the bigger yaks but secondary stability is fantastic (If your head stays in the boat your ass stays in the boat). I did not roll it despite some really good attempts, and 5 or 6 mild rapids.

I had thought the front flush mount rod holders would be a pain, but they are actually perfectly positioned. I started out with Scotty mounts in the gear tracks and then halfway through the 6 hour float I took them off and just used the flush mounts. The tracks are top load but narrow. One of my Scotty Gearheads went in and out with no problem (did we change subjects again?) but the other had to be completely unscrewed to get it out (That's what she said).

The seat is very comfortable and I had no back or butt issues the entire time (6 hours). It is also adjustable for me while seated in it. Many kayak seats are not.

I can reach everything in the tankwell, which I cannot do in the Ride. I can also reach everything in the front, which I also cannot do in the Ride.View attachment 1330View attachment 1331View attachment 1332View attachment 1333

There have been some changes in the work situation that will hopefully result in more time for both fishing and forums. I went from 3 jobs to 2. My 3rd job ask me to quit my 2nd job and offered to pay me whether they call me or not just to have me available more. But now they have fired the other Respiratory Terrorist, and i am getting calls from the places she used to visit. Also one of my coworkers at the FT job is out for a few weeks. So we'll see how the time thing goes, but hopefully I will have more of it.
Sweet let’s go bang it off some rocks

Gremcat

I’m wondering if a yak will get me to the “deathly hollow” easier than a Cararaft/Raft with fishing frame will. I sort of scaled back to 12-13’ for the portages, then realized I only wanted a big raft or raft at all to haul kids and the little 12.5’ with frame didn’t really accommodate more than 2 so why am I considering $8k for one?!? I still mostly go solo so a yak that could handle faster high current days on the Lehigh between Francis Walter and the Glen could work. The Tools,,,, I mean guys that barrel roll through my fishing lines “practicing” use those neoprene looking cover things to keep water out. I’m not sure I could squeeze my ‘Yard Sale’ of stuff into one.

One of the rafting schools is a neighbor. He offered a bucket boat for $500 at season end. I’d much rather have a self bailing with full aluminum frame and all bells/whistles but might stink to find out after a float or two it doesn’t work. There are only a couple tribs Im targeting so don’t need the multi day deal. Honestly, a stupid EBike and a 5lbs $800 pack raft would cover it albeit in ugly fashion.

Gremcat

Gotta finish the “dirt work” first,,,,,,, never ends it seems, 2 of 3 more loads coming.

Attachments

• A485565D-1055-413C-ADE3-E7C0193B4328.jpeg
    A485565D-1055-413C-ADE3-E7C0193B4328.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0

truecrimson

I’m wondering if a yak will get me to the “deathly hollow” easier than a Cararaft/Raft with fishing frame will. I sort of scaled back to 12-13’ for the portages, then realized I only wanted a big raft or raft at all to haul kids and the little 12.5’ with frame didn’t really accommodate more than 2 so why am I considering $8k for one?!? I still mostly go solo so a yak that could handle faster high current days on the Lehigh between Francis Walter and the Glen could work. The Tools,,,, I mean guys that barrel roll through my fishing lines “practicing” use those neoprene looking cover things to keep water out. I’m not sure I could squeeze my ‘Yard Sale’ of stuff into one.

One of the rafting schools is a neighbor. He offered a bucket boat for $500 at season end. I’d much rather have a self bailing with full aluminum frame and all bells/whistles but might stink to find out after a float or two it doesn’t work. There are only a couple tribs Im targeting so don’t need the multi day deal. Honestly, a stupid EBike and a 5lbs $800 pack raft would cover it albeit in ugly fashion.
I'm not familiar with that area or it's flow rates, but it sounds your looking for what the white water guys call a "creaker". They aren't as short as a "play boat" (the little stubby ones, designed for doing stationary tricks in water features), but they can handle rapids and flows that would put me on the kayak swim team, and send my gear to Neptune. They can hold a fair amount of gear. People do use them for multi day excursions like the Grand Canyon run. You can use a spray skirt, the neoprene cover you were talking about. But you don't have to.

If you are dealing with any real white water you don't want a sit on top.

You could add a couple of rod holders, though if you do flush mounts get ones with a solid bottom and a cover. Otherwise if submerged they become a funnel to the inside of your yak. Pre covid you could find them cheap on Craigslist as outfitters change them out every couple of years.

truecrimson

Strippers! Yeah baby!

Years ago my wife got me a Berkeley portable line spooling station. It came with a line stripper that stowed in the middle of the base. Last year, I think, the batteries in the stripper exploded and ruined it. There is nothing more annoying than a messed up stripper. I finally got to the point of needing one, and so I stopped by Bass Pro after work one day and bought one. It didn't work. At all. There was an obviously broken wire. I exchanged it for another one. That one appeared to work, but stopped by the next day. I returned it and went on ebay looking for a good old fashioned one.

Won yesterday, and it is on it's way to me. Sometimes you just can't beat an old, experienced stripper ;)

Stripper.jpg
Stripperback.jpg

Gremcat

I dabble in instrumentation/control systems, networking(maybe a big stretch), had a child in high school with a 24 yo model, and met a “hard working mom” at Chuck E Cheese who just happened to be cartoonishly figured, turns out she was a 38 yo ‘professional’, we dated a few months until she realized her “assets” were not a motivator and I cared more about substance. No clue where she ended up but hope I helped her see other values in herself.

Needless to say, all my seemingly innocent thoughts on “Strippers” did NOT include a reel stripper. A-5 has seen pics of my redundant almost to the point of worthless esoteric tools. I’ve never once considered buying something to strip fishing reel spools. I go through 5-10 line/respools a year as well.

So what I’m really saying is,,,,,,,,I WANT one lol,,,

Ok I have a problem, is there such a thing as THA Tool Horders Anonymous?

Gremcat

In a 12.5’ raft, thinking more like this

Prior Version Saturn 12'6 Saturn Whitewater Raft

Gremcat

With a Yak I don’t think I could cover all my gear needs. I also think upriver where I want to go it’s too hairy. I’ve seen large rafts beached sideways on boulders in fast shallowing runs doing pretty sketchy moves to try and break loose. I’ve never seen a cataraft above the Glen but seems if the rafts can do it a cararaft can. I assume the extremely high center of a cataraft is superior to a regular raft with the drop floor and sort of reverse “V” shape.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
I like to listen to sports radio while fishing and I found this simple solution. At just $18 from Walmart, this little thing is impressive! Reception is good and sound quality is very good and loud. Operates with 2 AA batteries and as you can see, is super small. So small that I am sure I will say at times, where did that damn radio go, as I rummage through my compartments. LOL

radio.jpg

Reactions: A-5

truecrimson

I like to listen to audio books and podcasts via my phone. I use wireless earbuds. Sometimes I do say "Where did that damn thing go?" But I know it hasn't gone far because I am still listening to it ;)

Don

I channel Rush Limbaugh.

You folks are amazing.

I’m curious. TC do you leave the Corolla attached when u Kayak. In you photos it is always on the car. That must help the self right in qualities allot.

truecrimson

Yeah, I just drive right down the ramp into the water until the bottom of the kayak is wet ;)

I had to start using that technique because all of those damn boaters camped out on the ramp and cooking hotdogs for their 33 kids get pissy if you spend 5 minutes setting up there ;)

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
I like to listen to sports radio while fishing and I found this simple solution. At just $18 from Walmart, this little thing is impressive! Reception is good and sound quality is very good and loud. Operates with 2 AA batteries and as you can see, is super small. So small that I am sure I will say at times, where did that damn radio go, as I rummage through my compartments. LOL

View attachment 1429
I have realized that I may not be the brightest bulb in the pack. In my defense, I am part polish and I really do embrace it at times. ;)

I went to Blue Marsh today, I turned the radio on and what was playing, not sports radio! I forgot, up there, 94.1 is a Hispanic station and overpowers WIP. Grrr! It sounded good though. It should work at Nockamixon.

On the bright side, I found a bunch of these guys on a secondary point of a creek arm and it turned out to be a great morning.

B8310660-E3C2-4026-ADCC-86717614463B.jpeg