What did you Buy Today?

A-5

truecrimson

So technically with the handle it is 5 pieces.

In my experience the case is complete crap. The cases always break pretty quickly. I always get rid of the case pretty quickly. The rod pieces are short enough that they will fit in all kinds of tubes and containers if you want to pack them, or are worried about breaking them. I have broken a lot of them over the years but every time it was operator error. Midway had them on sale as soon as they were available.Untitled (22A).jpg20220628_191709.jpgUntitled (24).jpgUntitled (26A).jpgUntitled (29).jpgUntitled (27).jpg20220628_200213.jpg.

Don

So technically with the handle it is 5 pieces.

In my experience the case is complete crap. The cases always break pretty quickly. I always get rid of the case pretty quickly. The rod pieces are short enough that they will fit in all kinds of tubes and containers if you want to pack them, or are worried about breaking them. I have broken a lot of them over the years but every time it was operator error. Midway had them on sale as soon as they were available.View attachment 3648View attachment 3649View attachment 3650View attachment 3651View attachment 3652View attachment 3653View attachment 3654.
I see you had a little catfishing in mind. The rig is nice but I will be after a just a casting rod.

Don

This is what I want, 6'6 or 6'9, medium power-fast tip. I really like the 2 piece Serpent that I just got last week.

I am trying to standardize the brands and sizes of my equipment.

I'm looking to create more cohesiveness in my casting and fishing practices and to buy gear and adapts practices that builds on itself. Sure screwed that up this year but hey, I had fun.

HenryDavid

Cool. I have allot of cheap flyline and some of it I like. It’s easy to tell when it’s dirty.
Don, I cleaned my 8wt. fly line and applied the D-Funk on Tuesday, right away I could feel a difference. I applied some to the rod guides as well. The line slid nicely through the guides. I fished that evening, flicking line for the longer drifts was easier, but as the evening went on it felt less and less "slippery". I don't know if I was supposed to let it sink in over night or not. The directions only said that it "could be applied streamside" which would lead one to believe it doesn't have to sit for any length of time. It was about 2-3 hours after I applied it that it hit the water. I'm glad I cleaned the line, whatever advantage the D-Funk gives is probably short lived. I still can't cast for shite.

Don

Multiple apps in warm dry conditions should do it. I bet you could benefit by rewatching old Orvis videos. We all need tune-ups. Something I used to do was keep my elbow against my ribs when practicing. It keeps you more accurate and also keeps you from trying to do monster casts all the time. It sort of reigns in the over-powering and dishes out the accuracy. Lastly cast at a spot 10 feet up in the air from your large on the water and let it settle before your arm does. Those were my two biggest issues, still is, slapping out at the water while using too much arm i.e. too much power.

HenryDavid

Multiple apps in warm dry conditions should do it. I bet you could benefit by rewatching old Orvis videos. We all need tune-ups. Something I used to do was keep my elbow against my ribs when practicing. It keeps you more accurate and also keeps you from trying to do monster casts all the time. It sort of reigns in the over-powering and dishes out the accuracy. Lastly cast at a spot 10 feet up in the air from your large on the water and let it settle before your arm does. Those were my two biggest issues, still is, slapping out at the water while using too much arm i.e. too much power.
Thanks, I seem to do okay with a 5 or 6wt. the 8wt line is heavier, I feel like Juan Marichal winding up to throw a heater trying to get enough line in the air to reach a target.

Reactions: Don

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
I found a person on FB market place who makes Ned Heads Thursday evening and he quickly custom made 5 dozen for me that I picked up yesterday. $40. Not too shabby, especially compared to retail.

12726296-5A02-4B03-B5FB-FBEBDE43C61B.jpeg

I tried to buy them from the person who custom made them for me about 2 years ago but he said he was “done for the year” ?? That perplexed me, when I was making / selling spinners, I was never “done”, I would just make more of what was needed. Nonetheless, it’s good to have multiple sources.

pabassman

Oh, 1/8 ounce, 1/0 hooks for anyone that is curious.
Not connected to this group but he is local to me. I've bought some stuff from him, Makes nice heads and baits.

Don

I found a person on FB market place who makes Ned Heads Thursday evening and he quickly custom made 5 dozen for me that I picked up yesterday. $40. Not too shabby, especially compared to retail.

View attachment 3705

I tried to buy them from the person who custom made them for me about 2 years ago but he said he was “done for the year” ?? That perplexed me, when I was making / selling spinners, I was never “done”, I would just make more of what was needed. Nonetheless, it’s good to have multiple sources.
Can one order by weight?

Gremcat

Don, I cleaned my 8wt. fly line and applied the D-Funk on Tuesday, right away I could feel a difference. I applied some to the rod guides as well. The line slid nicely through the guides. I fished that evening, flicking line for the longer drifts was easier, but as the evening went on it felt less and less "slippery". I don't know if I was supposed to let it sink in over night or not. The directions only said that it "could be applied streamside" which would lead one to believe it doesn't have to sit for any length of time. It was about 2-3 hours after I applied it that it hit the water. I'm glad I cleaned the line, whatever advantage the D-Funk gives is probably short lived. I still can't cast for shite.
If you look close under a magnifying lens I bet you’ll find tiny cracks in the outer coating. Forget if its pvc coating that does it or what.

Don

Not connected to this group but he is local to me. I've bought some stuff from him, Makes nice heads and baits.
Does he ship?