What did you Buy Today?

MB3

I miss the days of fishing contests and my passion for fishing being aligned lol The new house, new demands at work and life just aren't allowing it much these days. When I do get to fish I can tell you I enjoy it more.

What's nice about the shed is the wifi reaches it. I see lots of time spent in there. I have plans which requires OT and so begins the vicious cycle. Later, much later I want to add a 2nd small shed for gas, oil, shovels, etc to minimize clutter. Clutter and I are not friends lol

Don

Clutter and I are not friends lol
I'm sorry, I just tripped and fell. You were saying?
so I guess when you go to the old barber shop you brag to the guy next to you in the waiting area. And I guess you brag about how long your shed is and you end it by saying "you should've seen the one that got away".
Will you install electric into this shed?
Very nice and I like the Idea of putting the fuels elsewhere, hope you can swing it. You should come meet our fam at Promised Land next weekend. Maybe your wife can get my wife to lighten up a little and start fishing. Our first date was fishing at my Uncles pond. Never again in 45 yrs. She loves to fish for Crab and nothing else.
Now we have allot of troops to foster into an endless cycle of fishing. 3 campsites.

Reactions: MB3

Gremcat

A-5 you still need to teach me that one, can they get out from under piles of other tools though? If not it’s not going to help me.

Reactions: A-5

MB3

Don - definitely want electric in the shed. Once I make my work table and loft that's next up on the over time bullseye list.

Reactions: Don

Gremcat

For the St Croix fans, I also have another coming. This one is a vintage glass model. The next one is a 9’ 5 or 6wt. I think I’ll tell the guy send the 6. It’s a mod action blank and a bit of a classic older Avid. I prefer the Imperial but ultimately, I’m up to 4 or 5 fly rods and can’t even cast one LOL in my defense I was trying to buy a 5’6”
UL for a little girl when I stumbled onto the one today.

Attachments

• 6149FFA3-9C77-4EE6-A9F8-562873EE8AC8.jpeg
    6149FFA3-9C77-4EE6-A9F8-562873EE8AC8.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 2
  • 153E46FA-748F-4ADC-945A-64DC82841D4B.jpeg
    153E46FA-748F-4ADC-945A-64DC82841D4B.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 1

Gremcat

Don - definitely want electric in the shed. Once I make my work table and loft that's next up on the over time bullseye list.
If you need a sub-panel that’s small I bought a few from a Corp supplier for each rental then ran straight from the existing two service panels. I couldn’t get small sub boxes with small 10-15@ breakers without going to a large supplier. Lowe’s/HD has the single breaker or other normal ones used on things like RVs. If your running multiple circuits it’s nice to have breakers in the shed so if you overload one or have a bad gfci to replace you don’t have to go inside the main house. Was going to toss them on Marketplace or something in an upcoming purge.

Gremcat

A buddy offered to run them then bailed and I didn’t have time so redid insulation and just repurposed old baseboard drops, etc for dedicated rooms in the last rental. Find baseboards on a lot around the house and with 4 heat pumps they aren’t necessary and pretty costly. I’m slowly removing them and repurposing circuits or terminating in boxes. Each baseboard has a dedicated and to optimize the generator or perhaps pre- everything being energized a few circuits are shared which I don’t like. The original owner added heaters under vanities to warm tiles and even a front entrance heater to great neighbors without getting cold. Pretty crazy house anyway.

Gremcat

The guy sent me the 5wt 9’ St Croix Avid instead of the 6wt. To make it up to me he offered me the 6wt for $80 shipped. The 5wt looked brand new on the zipper tube.

Less exciting, I had some 4-6wt Seaguar blue label come in. I’m loving the tippet sized rolls even if they cost more than STS and have half the line. I never understood the STS Leader spools being huge with such little line on them.

Gremcat

Yep, I’ve been running STS but if you open a spool it’s only 2-3 layers deep. Guess they use a generic spool for it or something. I’ve some blue label now. I can see needing to buy a lot more spools at 25 yards though. I’ve been going through 3-5 spools of 4wt and 2 spools of 6 wt @ 100 yards/spool. So it’ll be maybe $250-300/yr for blue label instead.

Gremcat

A-5, you are 100% right on the palomar knot. Only breaks I’ve had have been a couple times I knew the knot didn’t seat right and was lazy about a retye. I held a pretty fresh Erie Steelhead 30+ mins on 4lbs before I made the mistake of taking it into shallow water to try and land before it was ready. It went from nearly beached to a deep fast run. The line still held until it frayed through on limestone ledges. The leader had all kinds of shaved curls 12” above where it broke. I can’t believe it held so long. I’ve had an oversized rainbow take me into brush and I managed to go in with it and unravel before landing it. Only challenge with Palomar is how I seat it. If I’m not careful one side loops the eye of the hook and doesn’t seat fully. I haven’t lost fish because of it but it bugs me. I’m trying to figure out if it’s the tag end or line end I’m not pulling evenly. I’m all thumbs when it comes to knots even these easier ones.

A-5

Yea I do three knots, 4 when lazy

Lazy fisherman’s knot

improved clinch

palomar

snell

Do not snell small line. It tends to pull out of the knot. Snell I do say 8lb or larger

Gremcat

Funny story, my niece has never caught a fish. Took her out today, her mainline broke on a huge brown at “The Dock”

Gremcat

I'm sorry, I just tripped and fell. You were saying?
so I guess when you go to the old barber shop you brag to the guy next to you in the waiting area. And I guess you brag about how long your shed is and you end it by saying "you should've seen the one that got away".
Will you install electric into this shed?
Very nice and I like the Idea of putting the fuels elsewhere, hope you can swing it. You should come meet our fam at Promised Land next weekend. Maybe your wife can get my wife to lighten up a little and start fishing. Our first date was fishing at my Uncles pond. Never again in 45 yrs. She loves to fish for Crab and nothing else.
Now we have allot of troops to foster into an endless cycle of fishing. 3 campsites.
I resemble this comment, 4 kids and buddies, when I get to G-Kids there won’t be water left

Gremcat

Hmmm, out of slots and my full size Pin doesn’t fit anyway. I also have a 6wt St Croix and Randy’s UL coming to find room for. The rod hoarding escalated pretty quick. Besides the “Brim Buster” cane pole they are all for trout/steelhead too. It’ll get worse once I try Striper and other fish I’m guessing. Maybe when my office gets Built-Ins I’ll add a large wall rod and gun rack.8AE1FE3A-E4BE-4227-BBCD-FF42CB962C60.jpeg

Gremcat

And if you’ve never fished a Brim Buster I highly recommend. I don’t see them around PA much. I’ve a small wire “tube” thing for crickets. You telescope out the 15’ ish pole, unravel the right amount of line, loop the tiptop(no guides, no reel), then tie a tiny hook on and a cricket. I threw minnow sized brim on once and landed a huge slab crappie. I didn’t even know that pond had them. Thought it would break the cane pole. I’ve caught LMB on it as well. We had giant Shell Crackers as the locals called them. I had mostly exclusive access in NC to the pond and old farm to hunt. I killed a lot of nice deer there. 200 acres surrounded by developments built on 1/8th acre lots. I heard recently it was purchased for $mn from my friend and they drained the pond to build more McMansions.

Gremcat

Damn Yankees they call ‘em, LOL CARY, NC (Containment Area For Relocated Yankees), I moved there first, everyone does, it’s like a super developing crazy rich area, they’ve voted annually to increase their own taxes, they want to go south for various reasons but call it the low cost of living, then hate they don’t have all the luxuries of the NE so have to have them. That generates a tax increase they eagerly vote for to get their Amenities.

Being a bright attractive young guy with dirt under my nails the ones that refused to adopt my Southern legitimacy were threatened of losing their inheritance so I think I’m one of the few “Northern born Southerners” as they coined it.

Y’all’s a bunch of damn Yankees though. So don’t be trying to retire down south of the Mason Dixon. LOL