What did you Buy Today?

MB3

TS: where is the first place you are taking it? I really like the white. Best of luck with it!!

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
TS: where is the first place you are taking it? I really like the white. Best of luck with it!!
Thank you. Probably Nockamixon so I can start the engine break in and fine tune the TM and graph.

Got it all ready to fish now other than my TM recess tray. I had a feeling that one was going to be too big and it was. I’ll return it and order a smaller one.

8BBB2963-163F-4A4A-8E9E-60D62F0EBBB4.jpeg

The business end..

5550BADB-19BD-41BD-B200-F74BD3F652A2.jpeg

MB3

Picked up the new boat. It's a 2022 StarCraft Stealth DC. 70 hp Yamaha prop, 70 lb thrust trolling motor, extra fishing seat for the bow (to be delivered), convertible bench seat/casting deck. I had them add the Helix 5 fish finder and it has the versatrack rail around both sides. I'm having serious buyers remorse as always, that'll change when I fish from it. Of course for a little bit more you get more bells and whistles, I still think I should have went for the Starweld but dragging a large 90 HP motor on electric only lakes seemed like a waste. This is their entry level boat but I added a few things to equip it similar to the Starweld. Nice trailer, custom ratchet cover with vents and access, rod lockers and plenty of storage. It'll be all mine in 15 years 😂

Now to get it dirty. I think I'll try it out on Tobyhanna this coming weekend. I have a nice 4 day weekend to test it out.

Attachments

• PXL_20210717_203441770.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210717_203441770.MP.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 3
  • PXL_20210717_203417473.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210717_203417473.MP.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 3
  • PXL_20210717_203413491.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210717_203413491.MP.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 5
  • PXL_20210717_204830654.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210717_204830654.MP.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 5
  • PXL_20210717_203349837.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210717_203349837.MP.jpg
    7.3 MB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20210717_203338179.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210717_203338179.MP.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 3
  • PXL_20210717_203356312.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210717_203356312.MP.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 3
  • PXL_20210717_203503738.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210717_203503738.MP.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 3
  • PXL_20210717_203455309.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210717_203455309.MP.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 2

MB3

I have a long 4 day weekend coming up. I definitely plan on breaking it in both gas and electric.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Picked up the new boat. It's a 2022 StarCraft Stealth DC. 70 hp Yamaha prop, 70 lb thrust trolling motor, extra fishing seat for the bow (to be delivered), convertible bench seat/casting deck. I had them add the Helix 5 fish finder and it has the versatrack rail around both sides. I'm having serious buyers remorse as always, that'll change when I fish from it. Of course for a little bit more you get more bells and whistles, I still think I should have went for the Starweld but dragging a large 90 HP motor on electric only lakes seemed like a waste. This is their entry level boat but I added a few things to equip it similar to the Starweld. Nice trailer, custom ratchet cover with vents and access, rod lockers and plenty of storage. It'll be all mine in 15 years 😂

Now to get it dirty. I think I'll try it out on Tobyhanna this coming weekend. I have a nice 4 day weekend to test it out.

Sa-Weeeet! Love that back flip up seat / deck. Always wished my last boat had that. Considered building one but one thing led to another, next thing ya know…lol. I am a fishing fool ya know.

I hope you get a lifetime of enjoyment out of it. Nice rig for sure.

Reactions: MB3

Gremcat

That paint scheme is nice and looks like it’ll hide a little slime. I’m guessing you won’t let it accumulate though.

Reactions: MB3

Gremcat

My costas cracked (580g), with prior head injuries and Vestibular issues I’m sensitive to tint and extremely sensitive to sun. I’ve heard it’s the light grey/blue eyes. First bad accident when I was too young to recall it’s been a lifetime of the symptoms.

I prefer Amber/Copper lenses and liked the new Costa frames but couldn’t get copper in 580g without the silver tint. I have a 30% off code though it seems to equal the same as buying off 3rd party or even Costas Amazon page. I emailed asking if 580g copper was being phased out or if a certain frame with it would be back in stock. Response “What you see is what we carry now”. Ok, so I decided to get a few pairs of Smiths on sale. Oakley Prizm polarized are about $300 like Costa 580g but with weird vision I wasn’t buying without trying them.

Smiths are affordable and REI had a discontinued frame so I bought 2, 1 backup, Chromapop polarized. I’ve been wearing my Costas with the cracked edge without a backup pair and nose piece Delammed almost immediately. They wouldn’t let me buy lenses but threw me a 30% off on their site. We’ll see if these work out or I’ll order Costas now that they have what I want.

I’d rock those goggles with leather side shields mountaineers wear if I could pull it off. I even have/had the last bottle of FL41 coating pro sports players wear in contacts to block light/glare in stadiums. Probably should contact the optometrist to see if they can ship it to me. It’s been 4 years so maybe they used it already.3FB9B29A-AB06-4771-9B5F-F46F7B11EAFD.jpeg

Reactions: A-5

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
My costas cracked (580g), with prior head injuries and Vestibular issues I’m sensitive to tint and extremely sensitive to sun. I’ve heard it’s the light grey/blue eyes. First bad accident when I was too young to recall it’s been a lifetime of the symptoms.

I prefer Amber/Copper lenses and liked the new Costa frames but couldn’t get copper in 580g without the silver tint. I have a 30% off code though it seems to equal the same as buying off 3rd party or even Costas Amazon page. I emailed asking if 580g copper was being phased out or if a certain frame with it would be back in stock. Response “What you see is what we carry now”. Ok, so I decided to get a few pairs of Smiths on sale. Oakley Prizm polarized are about $300 like Costa 580g but with weird vision I wasn’t buying without trying them.

Smiths are affordable and REI had a discontinued frame so I bought 2, 1 backup, Chromapop polarized. I’ve been wearing my Costas with the cracked edge without a backup pair and nose piece Delammed almost immediately. They wouldn’t let me buy lenses but threw me a 30% off on their site. We’ll see if these work out or I’ll order Costas now that they have what I want.

I’d rock those goggles with leather side shields mountaineers wear if I could pull it off. I even have/had the last bottle of FL41 coating pro sports players wear in contacts to block light/glare in stadiums. Probably should contact the optometrist to see if they can ship it to me. It’s been 4 years so maybe they used it already.View attachment 1305
You and I seem to have very similar taste in eyewear. Quick question though, I bought a pair of 580G nearly 25 years ago. I have had issues with them twice where Costa warrantied them for the cost of shipping and once where I sat on them and broke them. They offered me a new pair for $130 when I broke them and I gladly took them up. With that said, are you sure you cannot warranty them or at least get a significant discount?

I also have the Smith Chromapop, Dover style. They are great glasses and I love that they automatically adjust to light level, you’ll really like them. My only complaint is that they do not fit my face like the Costas. They fit well, they just don’t seem to form fit as well as the Costas so I still prefer the Costas over them but if you’re an angler that fishes under a canopy of trees, you cannot beat Smiths for how they adjust through the day and you can wear them them at first light and still see.

Today I mostly wear Maui Jims. If you get a chance, check out their MJ Sport series. Just a great lightweight pair of glasses with poly lenses that you would think is glass. They have evolved into my every day and fishing glasses except I do still go back to the Costas for really bright days on the open water.

josey12340

For me the Costas 580g in copper. I have Maui Jim that I use for everyday wearing. Very comfortable and light weight. When stream fishing u like the glass lenses.

josey12340

My wife fishes with me now and she just didn't see the salmon in the water very well and then I realized she did not have polarized glasses so got her a pair one day in New York. Of course she got the 31.00 kind. Certainly didn't need her knowing the price of Costas!

Gremcat

You and I seem to have very similar taste in eyewear. Quick question though, I bought a pair of 580G nearly 25 years ago. I have had issues with them twice where Costa warrantied them for the cost of shipping and once where I sat on them and broke them. They offered me a new pair for $130 when I broke them and I gladly took them up. With that said, are you sure you cannot warranty them or at least get a significant discount?

I also have the Smith Chromapop, Dover style. They are great glasses and I love that they automatically adjust to light level, you’ll really like them. My only complaint is that they do not fit my face like the Costas. They fit well, they just don’t seem to form fit as well as the Costas so I still prefer the Costas over them but if you’re an angler that fishes under a canopy of trees, you cannot beat Smiths for how they adjust through the day and you can wear them them at first light and still see.

Today I mostly wear Maui Jims. If you get a chance, check out their MJ Sport series. Just a great lightweight pair of glasses with poly lenses that you would think is glass. They have evolved into my every day and fishing glasses except I do still go back to the Costas for really bright days on the open water.
I tried warranting them for the failed nose piece and was honest I’d cracked the glass. They offered 30% off their site price. I happened to check Amazon and under Costa’s own store the same pair where the 30% off price already so not really a discount.

I do like the chroma pop Smiths. I like the way these frames really block all surrounding light. I hate absolutely hate the fit though. They cut into my nose bridge badly.

I’m sort of miffed Costa told me they weren’t stocking the 580g in copper then after watching a few weeks I gave up and ordered Smiths. Now Costa shows 580g copper in stock again. I vaguely recall reading they were bought out by a larger Org.

Gremcat

Was waiting to pick it up but won’t be this week with a trip to Knoebels scheduled now. I bought my 9 yo a bow now that he’s halfway through the JOAD classes. I stopped in for a doe tag envelope and saw a LH Mission bow adjustable from 20-70 lbs and 20”-30” draw length discounted $100 from the already discounted price being the sole leftover of a 2 year old model. The shop picked out components but I upgraded to the HHA Optimizer Lite sights. Single pin, adjustable yardage, for simplicity. It also has a very nice fall-away rest, forget the brand. True Fire Patriot Jr release, etc. He’s gotten to hitting 2 out of 3 in the bull using the ranges generic draw length, no sight, generic arrow genesis bow shooting fingers. 10 yards but still impressive considering I watch arrows porpoise badly every shot. I not only wanted to make sure he’d stick with it but also liked the magnification of error with the generic bow. To take the advanced class he needed his own. I am amazed at how modular they are now. Back a decade or so when I used a vertical bow, you might get a few inches of adjustment and many required new cams.

Gremcat

He’s basically set for hunting if he ever decides to and while bows might get outdated this could be a lifer for him if he doesn’t take after me.

Of course, I saw the newest TenPoint with Garmin Auto Aiming scope. It reminded me of a video game with its display showing steadiness then “target locked” when steady enough for consistent flight. Ranges and auto adjusts aim point. Built in digital level and arrow “arch” to check branches. Even puts a gps pin on where game was shot. Probably makes a coffee while it shoots the deer for you as well. Coupled to a 470 FPS crossbow it’s a different animal entirely. I’m not a “purist” I’m an opportunist. This one has even me questioning some of its features.

I saw a review and as I sort of suspected. All those calcs and features can’t be good for battery life. Nope you can almost watch it drain. Think I’ll hold the $15-1800 the scope alone costs.

Reactions: A-5

Gremcat

Fairly certain electronic sights are illegal in PA but not 100%. I’m going to switch my TenPoint to an HHA Optimizer and use a 1.8-5.5 Zeiss scope I have. I’ve shot to 1k yards using mildots and Christmas Tree reticles but somehow last year as prepped as I was for shots I chose the top crosshair every time. Only had one animal go more than 50 yards and the bear dropped on the spot after running up a tree. That was kind of intense. I can’t explain the choice to default top pin but the 20 and 30 are all but touching anyway. Just bugged me as does the somewhat large group I get when practicing. I’m suspect of a few things but optics are usually my first after buying .0001 tolerance arrows.

Crazy thing, the new reverse limb Xbows gain almost 100 FPS over mine and are half the size perceivably but weigh the same. Seem to have very short string life and somewhat short limb life too.