What did you Buy Today?

truecrimson

Hahahaha, I have the metal can too and I don’t see the “Bait Up” in your pics,,, I like the setup though, come back during spring and you’ll be a devout believer,

Watch the size 4 eagle claws too. The loop isn’t connected so if you roll something like 4lbs Seaguar Blue Label your knot slips off sometimes. Tackle/Auto mechanic guy in Hazleton has a wall of monster trout/steelhead/salmon pics. Said he’d never heard of a leader slipping off a hook. I had the issue 3x that week alone. I really like Owner Mosquito Lights but they are missing the barb so minnows/shiner slip off some times even punching back through their body. Honestly, for soft biting fish I’ll roll with a wire treble and 2’ leader then thread tiny fatheads which are way tougher than any shiners seem to be. I’m going to try the AK Salmon trick one of these days and buy bigger bait then cut heads off at a downward inside angle before threading. Injected with anchovy juice its murder on AK Silver’s.
The Bait Up appears to be no longer in production. Couldn't even find one on ebay.

Thanks for the tip on the hooks. I think 8 will be about as small as I can manipulate. Not sure how much I use the 4s. They didn't have any 6s except in the expensive brands.

Reactions: Don

Gremcat

Today, for my soon to be 10 yo, things are costly, probably cut into my fishing budget a hefty amount, may borrow it to ride up the gorge fishing. Thing weighs almost nothing and pedals way easier than any bike I’ve ever used. Should’ve talked him into the rear rack,,, would hold my pack well,,, lol,,,, like buying your wife a gun,,,, except he’ll probably charge me rent to use it. 8AF42680-00EB-4536-B1E0-E2952C3B38F3.jpeg0F4AD4AE-E205-4A0A-A42E-8079B9706915.jpeg

Last edited:

Solitario Lupo

Talking a little about bikes anyone ever see those electric bikes. They look like they be great for those long trails. Stick a rod rack and a crate on the back and looks like you could go for miles. The only problem is they are so dang expensive.

Don

What price categories are you folks buying at. I was fishing in the same boat as Gremcat the other day when he handed me a rod and reels combo that gleamed of solid gold furnishings. When later I handed it back my hand continued to glow for another hour. It appeared to be a 7 bearing Helios and it was an awesome reel. Seems it was a size 20. All the reels I've ever owned except a Penn Boat Reel cost me significantly less than $50....significantly less. I'm new to all of this "buy what I want" attitude. During the years I was raising a family I could barely rub two nickels together that weren't already spoken for. I have noticed that almost every favored manufacturer makes their rods and reels at many cost levels. For this extra cost you get more bells and whistles but do you get more performance? For instance how do you measure the value between a Shimano FX and a Shimano Stella? Or a Pfluger Trion vs the Supreme?
Would like your thoughts on this with some observations over a longer period of time. Melvin, no likes please, write it out. :ROFLMAO:

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
What price categories are you folks buying at. I was fishing in the same boat as Gremcat the other day when he handed me a rod and reels combo that gleamed of solid gold furnishings. When later I handed it back my hand continued to glow for another hour. It appeared to be a 7 bearing Helios and it was an awesome reel. Seems it was a size 20. All the reels I've ever owned except a Penn Boat Reel cost me significantly less than $50....significantly less. I'm new to all of this "buy what I want" attitude. During the years I was raising a family I could barely rub two nickels together that weren't already spoken for. I have noticed that almost every favored manufacturer makes their rods and reels at many cost levels. For this extra cost you get more bells and whistles but do you get more performance? For instance how do you measure the value between a Shimano FX and a Shimano Stella? Or a Pfluger Trion vs the Supreme?
Would like your thoughts on this with some observations over a longer period of time. Melvin, no likes please, write it out. :ROFLMAO:

I just responded in the baitcaster thread about costs.

Solitario Lupo

My price range for reels are $50 to $100.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Now ya need a blue slx!

I put the Curado DC on it. It’s the furthest casting reel I have and I think it makes a pretty good pairing.

I need to find a reel for my 6’-6” E6X now. Thinking something lightweight, not BFS but something light. Nothing too pricey either, that thing will only see action from shore so I want to try some other brands on it.

Melvinp

The fly deal is way worse for cost for what you get last 2 flyrods no reels no line 900 bucks yeah sucks bad. Just like golf and archery next year something better more money just keep fixing the old stuff.

Gremcat

How did we get on this thread anyway.
Yeah, Stella was my favorite beer before I was ruined with triple Belgians like La Fin Du Monde and single malts like Oban.

I’m not a spinning guy but if the Stella was a significant step up in performance and I was, I’d splurge. I slum new Helios 20(good eye Don), BG series (black and gold match a few rods, jury’s still out), and Presidents on low grade rods, Sage Clickers on fly though I’m really really fighting the urge on Galvan Brookies in a 5/6wt without drag, and slum Kingpin Imperials for float/CPs because I can’t shoulder $1k+ for a 5”+ Zeppelin.

If I didn’t have the pesky hunting issue to contend with and TenPoint/Barnes Precision/or custom Pre-64 model 70’s I could really focus on fishing only. You have no idea the burden of multiple hobbies.

For the record when 10 yo was young I schlepped a basspro butter rod with a Mitchell 3+1 bearing or a carbon fiber Brim Buster.

Got a bit more culture in the far north high society.

Last edited:
Reactions: Don

Gremcat

Some new lines to try in my quest for a far casting delicate presentation setup. This is maybe going to help keep the spool going for furthest cast distance. I don’t recall my spools moving on spinning rods but can’t hurt I guess. Think the ideal rod is larger guides, maybe 9.5’ and UL moderate action but I can get a real good distance on the mini pin float so I might keep playing there. I can’t always get the best load with all that length and side cast is going to be tough some places.

Picked up new pin line too even though I have a few already. I decided to try a controversial variety if I’m worried my bright yellow main line will spook some steelhead. If I can’t track my line well I’ll jump back to it. I am still not a fan of trilene big game and would’ve left it after the 12 lbs had the worst memory and kinking I’ve seen but with A-5 such a big fan I’m still trying to get a good weight figured out. Meantime I bought the sorta pricey Chromium in 16lbs. Or think I did, I haven’t seen it delivered so maybe still having second thoughts and didn’t checkout on the page. F51DA8B3-FF8A-45F5-B36C-BD789F2491BA.jpeg