What did you Buy Today?

A-5

Instead of big game try this? Maybe. I don’t have issues with line. I just put a copolymer on one of my pins. That will be a night mare. With pins you have terrible line twist. As for line memory I’ve not had any issues. Line is the last thing I worry about it’s very overrated. The only thing I worry about is the 18” at the end that’s where you catch fish and need to put your efforts into

HenryDavid

The fly deal is way worse for cost for what you get last 2 flyrods no reels no line 900 bucks yeah sucks bad. Just like golf and archery next year something better more money just keep fixing the old stuff.
You must be catching the High Society fishes, no way I could catch them on my $20 beater rods

Melvinp

You must be catching the High Society fishes, no way I could catch them on my $20 beater rods
Lol yeah I’m just one of those people that only buy a few things but when I do I buy big I’ve never been disappointed on anything I invested in and fishing to me is an investment of my sanity lol

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
I really need to stop posting in this thread. Lol

Got my new Shimano Curado 71 MGL in today. This thing is sweeeet! I wanted a reel for pitching / flipping purposes. I strung it up and played with it in the backyard a bit. The distance I am getting over my other reels without any backlash is impressive. This will be a game changer for me for sure.

4E91E99D-459D-411F-8497-212CE4D45389.jpeg

Gremcat

I’ve heard mixed reviews and ran whatever new bright yellow the old reel owner had on successfully last year. I was never sure my lack of skill letting line on the water with the bright color didn’t spook them. I caught some and it helped me spot my line so we’ll see. Need to setup the long pole and see if my struggles are related to the shorter 11’ rod or if 9 mos without practice are my problem.

Gremcat

Tha
Ive used that for 6lbs main line on my trout rods.

To be clear, I’ve never tried it on the pin. The Kingpin reel I bought used with new line and I ran it. On the bigger spinning rod I bought at Fat Nancy’s last year. That line had a weird kink in it too. I didn’t notice the same weird kink on the 8lbs Big Game I restrung for Steelhead. I never used it though committing to the Pin. The 12 lbs was strung on a new Okuma reel at Fat Nancy’s and the guy took a Looooooonnnnggggg time so I always wondered if it was the machine they used acting up. A very visible “fold” in the line every few inches.

Anyway, I’m not yet good enough to not drag some line behind the float so I prefer a floating line.

Don

I really need to stop posting in this thread. Lol

Got my new Shimano Curado 71 MGL in today. This thing is sweeeet! I wanted a reel for pitching / flipping purposes. I strung it up and played with it in the backyard a bit. The distance I am getting over my other reels without any backlash is impressive. This will be a game changer for me for sure.

View attachment 1653
You're a voice of sanity in an otherwise centerline world. Beautiful Reel. What did you spool it up with?

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
You're a voice of sanity in an otherwise centerline world. Beautiful Reel. What did you spool it up with?

10lb FC Sniper Assassin Floro. I was practicing with it again last night. You have no idea how “home” I feel with this.

Not to hurt my shoulder patting myself on the back but I’ve been a spin angler forever, using an underhand flip cast with a spinning reel. My accuracy is impressive but I just couldn’t cast that way with a baitcaster so I went to a roll cast, which I am getting pretty good with but to have a flip cast back in my arsenal, priceless!

Reactions: A-5

Don

After a 45 year hiatus I'm fishing weedlines and tree falls again. I use spincast to toss in and under and spinning reels to cast out over. Seems to work. Although I love the old antique spincast reels I believe the baitcaster will be a natural progression for line casting in and under overhangs and structure. I tried Floro on spinning reels and hated it. Seems perfect for this. Braid would also be tempting on a baitcaster

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
After a 45 year hiatus I'm fishing weedlines and tree falls again. I use spincast to toss in and under and spinning reels to cast out over. Seems to work. Although I love the old antique spincast reels I believe the baitcaster will be a natural progression for line casting in and under overhangs and structure. I tried Floro on spinning reels and hated it. Seems perfect for this. Braid would also be tempting on a baitcaster
Floro and spinning reels should never be used IMO, unless you like to watch yards of line come unfurled every cast. ;)

Braid works very well on baitcasters. I do have one baitcaster that is spooled with 30lb braid. Works great for weeds.

Solitario Lupo

The fly deal is way worse for cost for what you get last 2 flyrods no reels no line 900 bucks yeah sucks bad. Just like golf and archery next year something better more money just keep fixing the old stuff.

You guys would hate getting into the musky fishing. Sucks when you buy a $30 lure to loose it in 2casts. :mad:🤬

Reactions: Don

Melvinp

You guys would hate getting into the musky fishing. Sucks when you buy a $30 lure to loose it in 2casts. :mad:🤬
Bad enough to lose a dollar fly then lose 30 more lol that’s kinda why I like trying to make my own I know that it’s not cheap but feel a little better compared to store buying then loosing at least I can make another and not have to get in the car

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
My baitcaster has 20lb mono backing then 80lb braid. I keep my thumb on it just in case of a bad cast. Other than that no problems.

I don’t like the backer thing because there is always a lump due to a knot. I guess I am a princess as I know it’s there. Lol. I do however do reel to reel line swaps to get more life out of braid.

Solitario Lupo

I had to use the backing cause I put straight braid on it and the line wouldn’t hold it would spin loose without catching. I thought it was a problem with the reel and when I called the guy was very knowledgeable and said the spool is made from aluminum so I had to use a mono backing or put a piece of electrical tape to hold the braid from spinning freely.
As for a lump. I never really looked but I don’t see any difference.

HenryDavid

I had to use the backing cause I put straight braid on it and the line wouldn’t hold it would spin loose without catching. I thought it was a problem with the reel and when I called the guy was very knowledgeable and said the spool is made from aluminum so I had to use a mono backing or put a piece of electrical tape to hold the braid from spinning freely.
As for a lump. I never really looked but I don’t see any difference.
LOL, 1st time I spooled up with braid years ago I hooked a Susquehanna channel cat on a crankbait, I didn't realize that the slippage would occur, what a riot trying to reel in a big cat with the line spinning around the spool, I finally figured out what was wrong.