What did you Catch Today?

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
There are a couple of nice days coming this week, might now want to pack it up yet. I know I said in a prior post about packing it in but we are already talking about chasing some stripers again this week. Hard to say no when the bite is hot.

Gremcat

Caught a few browns and a bow, thought browns looked spawned out, bow looked fat, bro wanted to keep for grille, np, cleaning I found eggs in browns, so between the cured skein from 1 steelhead I kept for salmon candy, last years salmon eggs, the 4 vials of brown eggs I bought in Erie, brown eggs from today, tiny eggs from Canada, and commercial stuff, it’s an eggstravaganza in my bait fridge,

Still not sure how to fish the tiny CAN eggs yet,

C6BEAFA7-6D2C-4CCB-8F05-D52F60B9E90A.jpeg62CBA2B3-C6ED-4BA6-B230-F2567B22B9E7.jpegF6161BFC-25B4-4E6D-AA9B-D90CFBB2257D.jpeg78D8433A-5730-4C6F-BD3F-98C73EDD94E8.jpeg

Gremcat

Salmon eggs are a year now and when tying sacks last night looked better than the day I cured. I can’t get the cure down to hold them single hooked but they are plump and milk nice in sacks. I made a wet cure and just kept the extra when I boiled it. Steelhead skeins did great and suspect browns will too.

Reactions: A-5

truecrimson

Caught a few browns and a bow, thought browns looked spawned out, bow looked fat, bro wanted to keep for grille, np, cleaning I found eggs in browns, so between the cured skein from 1 steelhead I kept for salmon candy, last years salmon eggs, the 4 vials of brown eggs I bought in Erie, brown eggs from today, tiny eggs from Canada, and commercial stuff, it’s an eggstravaganza in my bait fridge,

Still not sure how to fish the tiny CAN eggs yet,

View attachment 1995View attachment 1996View attachment 1997View attachment 1998
Looks like you almost have enough for an omelet ;)

Don

Sol,
You've had a pretty good year, no? Are the big numbers done now for steelhead, trout and salmon in NY?

Solitario Lupo

I was fishing Erie PA Don. There’s still good numbers up the creeks gotta find the holes with less fishermen. So trout will still be there all the way till end of March then they’ll start to swim out when the waters turn warm. No salmon on PA side (Erie) they stopped stocking them.

As for NY trout will be there the same as for salmon kings die off and Atlantic’s will still be there until they swim back out in the lake.

If I had some time and a couple nice days I would go get another couple dozen but I think I’m done. ;):cool:

Last edited:

Solitario Lupo

Only thing that makes them wild is they're stocked as fingerlings and they swim out in the lake for a couple years.
Very edible. Done right they taste pretty good.

Don

too cool. I'm not so sure youre there for the salmon so much as the fellowship and family memories.

Gremcat

I love it and never met a bad person yet. I made more friends my last trip and a guy that looked like the dwarf from LOTR told me a piece of sage advice.

You get back what you put out.

I gave up my prime spot, dropped my pole in gravel to net anyone’s fish near me, have my jumbo pack of Raven shot to a guy to let him stay fishing after I left and loaded him with hooks. Life’s to short to fight over fish. I was shoulder to shoulder with 8 strangers and we were best buds by the end. Only 1-2 tangles I saw and both parties apologetic.

Pulaski was the same. I will say the local guru that schooled all of us 20:1 and badly by fishing spots we would quit, hooking immediately, was a great guy. The local Guides he knew that dropped in were mostly unfriendly. Their day off so I understand. Even he bailed day 2 when they dropped in. Said Guiding would be awful job and he didn’t want to spend the afternoon around them. He bailed as they texted they where in the parking lot lol.