What did you Catch Today?

Gremcat

I hated those things at first because in the Lehigh I always thought they were a huge trout. After a few fairly large samples abd some hard fighting small ones when I couldn’t scare up a trout I’m appreciating them more. The first one I ever caught was in a reservoir up north. I threw a live baby frog out lip hooked and a monster crushed it. I’m not even sure where the rod came from to be honest but I know I’ll likely not top that monster in my lifetime. Forget how big but 5-6 lbs seems real conservative. As fisherman go I should at least double it but it was so long ago I’m taking the real conservative route. I assumed (sort of still do) that smallies have the potential to weigh the same as huge largemouth but no real knowledge to prove it. I’ve been lucky since to break 2-3 lbs. most are closer to 12”

Melvinp

A couple from zee and I

Attachments

• D7E33B13-17D5-4A7B-AE1B-C53035EE219E.jpeg
    D7E33B13-17D5-4A7B-AE1B-C53035EE219E.jpeg
    608.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 0618A536-B828-453C-9CCE-5CB5C61AAC8F.jpeg
    0618A536-B828-453C-9CCE-5CB5C61AAC8F.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 7
  • 201E415B-739D-427D-ABF3-A1FA9AD3B092.jpeg
    201E415B-739D-427D-ABF3-A1FA9AD3B092.jpeg
    690.1 KB · Views: 6
  • F94A8915-63FE-44D8-822D-4F252DB91762.jpeg
    F94A8915-63FE-44D8-822D-4F252DB91762.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 5
  • 1D63CE88-65C2-4AB8-84C5-EE819337EB05.jpeg
    1D63CE88-65C2-4AB8-84C5-EE819337EB05.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 7

Don

I used to catch them in the little Lehigh and the Jordan. Makes me wonder if they're still there. Tasty this time of year.

HenryDavid

Here's my biggest trout of the season, very poor pic but in DHALO you can't mess around, all C&R, plus it's a phone pic since I drowned my camera in Loyalsock Creek a couple weeks ago. A few seconds after this pic he flipped himself back into the creek before I could get more photos. Measurement showed 24-inches, you can possibly see by the pic that it's at least 1/2 the length of the bottom section of the 9-foot fly rod. Video is in another thread.
20210412_175159.jpg

Last edited:

MB3

Went for trout and the bite was off. Fought the wind and cold more than fish. I had a nice Bass on but he bent the treble hook and got away. Caught 5 small Pickerel. Shiela caught a Pickerel and a Perch. Not a banner day but we both caught. Then I destroyed the yard work, now I'm ready for back to back 14+ hour days.

Attachments

• PXL_20210418_153107257.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210418_153107257.MP.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 2

MB3

My expertise is chemical production, coming up on 30 years. My real expertise is enduring conditions, hazards and a level of stress most won't. We are short on people so OT is limitless. If I make retirement, I will have earned it. That is a big if though. I have my doubts.

A-5

Mike brother we need you around brother. I worked 7 days a week to feed my family. I can do that, but 14 hour shifts are not healthy. Take care of yourself seriously.

Gremcat

Yep, I walked from being the highest position in a union mill at 24 with 5 years into my 20 making six figures to have a life outside there. 16 hour nights 13 on 1 off as a single parent. What pushed me over besides my GF now wife deciding to move to NC was seeing a guy who had maybe 35-40 in working every scrap of OT living in a tiny studio to “save it all”. Made it 6 mos after retirement and I overheard his son burned through it in 6 mos. I still put in hours that rival that and sometimes weekends but I have many more shortened days and time off.

God bless you if that’s the path to retirement. Pray you can get the most out of the down time. I don’t know if it’s shift disorder or another malady but cognitive ability definitely deteriorates in that environment, much more so long term.

Gremcat

Best thing I ever did and much further along than I’d have been had I stayed. I don’t know nearing 40 if I’d be able to make that same decision but like to think I would.

MB3

I have a theoretical exit plan in a few years. I made a few stupid decisions with taking on payments for a few things I wanted (the boat is one but $100/month isn't bad). Once I pay for my stupidity I hope to be in a better position to work less, fish more. The money and vacation time is great but not enough to try for 62-67. I'll be 50 this year, I think I've endured enough hard labor to make a change soon for quality of life.

Don

I grew up on a farm, the days were long. We were family and that made a big difference. Then I became an Arborist and worked 45 hr weeks, no big deal. At some point I became a nursery plant manager and 70 hrs was the norm. Late March through October was a killer. That is when I stopped hunting and fishing. In 2000 I began selling on a national basis and my hours were even worse but much of it was sitting in a car or airplane. In 2015 I counted the number of nights I stayed on the road in a hotel and for that year it was over 115 nights. I was 57. Life was passing fast and I hadn't actually "made it". That is when I cut back, started re-visiting old hobbies and trying to recapture some of what I missed........it can't be done. Wish I had my kids back in the nest but their kids would not be impressed. Two years ago around this time I began fishing again and am enjoying the peace of nature once more in a way I had never taken the time to in the past. Both my wife and I will probably have to work till 70 to afford retirement but we are enjoying life, kids, grandkids more now.

Reactions: A-5

A-5

I have a theoretical exit plan in a few years. I made a few stupid decisions with taking on payments for a few things I wanted (the boat is one but $100/month isn't bad). Once I pay for my stupidity I hope to be in a better position to work less, fish more. The money and vacation time is great but not enough to try for 62-67. I'll be 50 this year, I think I've endured enough hard labor to make a change soon for quality of life.
Great to hear the exit plan. Hey I totally get working and paying and being a hard worker but Dang sounds like they’re running you through the loop

Reactions: MB3

MB3

I won't say much on the subject because the internet is scoured for such things. I'm dead inside with things that have happened, done, not done and been said. It has altered my thinking, personality and the way I view everything. Other than that I love it and it buys me fishing gear lol