What did you Catch Today?

Bootfoot

Break away anchors have been around long before 2012. In fact they have been around as long as there have been rivers and anchors. Back in the day, long before 2012 and zip ties, bailing wire was used. Zip ties have a weight rating so be sure to get a weight you can break but won’t break from the weight of your kayak/boat and the speed of the current. I know with my boat I use 2 50lb rated zip ties. In heavy spring flows I may have to go up to 3 ties as 2 will break just trying to set the anchor. In low summer flows I can drop down to 1. But I can tell you I’m not breaking one 50lb rated zip tie by pulling on it. I have to cleat off the anchor rope and break it using the power of the motor. Even with breakaway anchors, anchors will still be lost But they make a huge difference. I’ve been using them for 40 years and have lost many of them. We all use to make our own because of the lack of suitable river anchors that worked and were commercially available. I still make my own but it seems most people have no problem shelling out a couple hundred dollars for an anchor they hope to hang up in rocks every time they drop it. Of course with the invention of 3000 dollar trolling motors and 1800 dollar batteries, anchors are becoming extinct.

Blackcat Outdoors

Are there any natural gas wells in that direction?They suck a lot and I mean a lot of water out of the creeks in my neck of the woods
There are, but I don't know how many are actively fracking anymore. Water is lower in summer, but it's pretty bad this year. It's usually enough you can kyack most of the lower section without too much difficulty. This year it would be more of a hike,dragging the kyack.

truecrimson

Nice idea.

I have that set up and never thought about it very cool I will do that.

It's old school. I don't think I brought an anchor when we went out on Tunkhannock, but I had all those rigs back then.

I actually made the video because Aliex Folgueira was all excited when the Tightline Anchor guys at ICAST 2022 showed it to him as if it was a new idea. Those anchors have had a connection point at both ends forever for this exact purpose.

When I first got into kayak fishing anchoring was a big topic. I don't see or hear it discussed much anymore. I have had to explain to a couple of new people at launches why they shouldn't just dump an anchor over the side, but need to rig it bow or stern or use a trolley.

Aliex's video

truecrimson

Break away anchors have been around long before 2012. In fact they have been around as long as there have been rivers and anchors. Back in the day, long before 2012 and zip ties, bailing wire was used. Zip ties have a weight rating so be sure to get a weight you can break but won’t break from the weight of your kayak/boat and the speed of the current. I know with my boat I use 2 50lb rated zip ties. In heavy spring flows I may have to go up to 3 ties as 2 will break just trying to set the anchor. In low summer flows I can drop down to 1. But I can tell you I’m not breaking one 50lb rated zip tie by pulling on it. I have to cleat off the anchor rope and break it using the power of the motor. Even with breakaway anchors, anchors will still be lost But they make a huge difference. I’ve been using them for 40 years and have lost many of them. We all use to make our own because of the lack of suitable river anchors that worked and were commercially available. I still make my own but it seems most people have no problem shelling out a couple hundred dollars for an anchor they hope to hang up in rocks every time they drop it. Of course with the invention of 3000 dollar trolling motors and 1800 dollar batteries, anchors are becoming extinct.
Yeah. My dad and grandfather used to have mushroom anchors in the old bow riders that were rigged this way. I didn't mean to imply that the idea originated in 2012, but that's roughly when it made the jump to the kayak fishing community. Seems like 2010 to 2012 or so was when the transition occurred from a few fishermen drilling holes in recreational kayaks to a lot of fishermen buying kayaks made for fishermen. Anchor technique followed that transition.

Reactions: Don

pabassman

My oldest son and I went Friday night to the Pack for a tournament. It was my first time out since mid June. Caught a lot of fish, probably close to 20 legals. We came in second with 13.44# and lunker with a 4.77. No fish pics, (though I'm not sure why my son didnt take a pic of the largie he had????) Only pics I took were these.
20220730_071133.jpg