What did you Catch Today?

A-5

Messing around. Phone version. Select photo. Select insert. Select full image. Post reply. That is the cleanest way to view a pic.

Gremcat

I just pity any fool that tries dating her pretty much ever. Glad there’s a handy cliff by the house with a bad rep already. After the first one has a mishap maybe they rest will get the memo. Love my boys but when she was born I knew, I’d kill for her and be killed for her. I thank my wife all the time for introducing me to the love of my life.

89E4C8F7-C60D-4282-ABA2-AB42FB4D3BCF.jpeg

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
A day late but nothing! Lol. Unless of course bunker Shad count. ;)

Hit Raritan Bay on Saturday to see if we could find some back bay schoolie Stripers but all we found were schools of bait. We did see a few bunker clean cut in half by most likely blues. Tried to get them to bite but nothing except the occasional snag of a bunker.

We pretty much knew the action was going to be dead but we had just done a bunch of maintenance to my friends 21’ center console and wanted to give it a proper test and thought the day would be perfect for that. New battery, new wiring on the trailer, trim tabs and some miscellaneous clean up.

I am impressed by the tabs. I didn’t think they would do “that much” but boy do they work in both leveling the boat and we were able to stay on plane at just 6 mph.

Looking forward to many future trips this year.

Don

A day late but nothing! Lol. Unless of course bunker Shad count. ;)

Hit Raritan Bay on Saturday to see if we could find some back bay schoolie Stripers but all we found were schools of bait. We did see a few bunker clean cut in half by most likely blues. Tried to get them to bite but nothing except the occasional snag of a bunker.

We pretty much knew the action was going to be dead but we had just done a bunch of maintenance to my friends 21’ center console and wanted to give it a proper test and thought the day would be perfect for that. New battery, new wiring on the trailer, trim tabs and some miscellaneous clean up.

I am impressed by the tabs. I didn’t think they would do “that much” but boy do they work in both leveling the boat and we were able to stay on plane at just 6 mph.

Looking forward to many future trips this year.
What Ramp do you use? We used to put in at Seawaren and fish soon after you get to the bay. We also fished the bunker schools in front of So.Amboy in only 8' of water. Its been 10 yrs since I sold the boat.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
What Ramp do you use? We used to put in at Seawaren and fish soon after you get to the bay. We also fished the bunker schools in front of So.Amboy in only 8' of water. Its been 10 yrs since I sold the boat.

We used Keyport Marine Basin this trip and do so for most of the season. There are times we will launch out of Leonardo or Atlantic Highlands, just depends where we plan to head that day. And yep, those schools are still there in S Amboy. ;)

Don

I dislike Atlantic Highlands. The crowd is too much like Wallen Paupack, lol. I used to sail out od Keyport on a friends bloboat on Wednesday night Race night. So Much Fun.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
I dislike Atlantic Highlands. The crowd is too much like Wallen Paupack, lol. I used to sail out od Keyport on a friends bloboat on Wednesday night Race night. So Much Fun.

AH wasn’t too bad last year, I guess due to COVID. We like Keyport as well. It has come a long way in the last 7-8 years I’ve been going there. They’ve done a lot to improve the area.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
I caught nothing......again! :( but I will take partial credit. ;)

I took my buddy Brian to the Big D today in hopes of getting him his first ever walleye. We worked about a mile of shoreline until finally near a log he broke the ice with a dandy 25" walleye. No other fish, a questionable quick snag of a muskie by Brian due to the size of the scale he brought back in, a little bigger than a quarter and just one miss by me. I would normally be disappointed this time of year as I always have luck on the Big D late February into March but to see the look on Brian's face was well worth the trip!

IMG_1038.jpeg

As you can see, that fish absolutely choked his Rapala. Brian had full intention of keeping any keeper sized today as neither of us have ever had Walleye and it was a good thing as it was deep hooked and likely would not have survived.

What "They" say about eating Walleye, yeah, it's damn good. I don't even know that it could be classified as fish as there is no fish taste to it whatsoever. I cooked it with my usual recipe as mentioned in the cooking thread with the exception that I replaced the Olive Oil with Butter this time.

IMG_1041.jpeg

Makes me wonder if a 18"er would be even better? Hopefully I find out soon enough.

troutspinner

Gremcat

Great fish, I caught a wild Brookie that got flushed into the Lehigh with the high trib water. He was making the most of his time in big water getting fat. Lost something odd in the glen launch. No clue but fought weird and frayed my leader 3”. Heard musky don’t usually come quite this far north on the Lehigh but it sure didn’t feel like a trout, even a 7+ lbser this area gives up on a rare occasion to everyone but me.