What did you Catch Today?

Don

Guys, We're big boys and girls now, lol, we can buy dry bags. I keep clothing, rain gear and snap in Nav lights in my dry bag and if I fall in it will also be a flotation bag.
Good Stories.

Melvinp

Ouch that sucks sorry I wasn’t there to save your gear this time.As for rod holders my yak has the same tubes as yours but I never use them I’ve got two rod holders mounted directly in front of me on my center section laying flat not pointing up and clothes I carry a complete change in a dry bag stuffed in the body of my yak.Little note when coming into a section of water that I know that I’m going to need to turn out of I start pointing the nose of my yak to start with float to that area semi preturned and then paddle hard when I get to the nessary angle

truecrimson

Damn @truecrimson ! Twice! That sucks! Have you ever seen the pool noodle type rod floats they sell at Dicks? They work very well and do not intrude much.

My first ever Kayak trip I spilled in the Schuylkill and lost my own made rod with a Sustain reel. Talk about depressing! I never should have taken that rod with me on that trip but the excitement of getting on the kayak didn't have me thinking clearly. To add insult to injury, I also lost a brand new, top of the line, latest and greatest Samsung phone on that spill. They were not waterproof at the time. :(

Because of that trip, until today, you will still find a complete change of clothes in my truck that I call my "Oh Crap, I Fell In Again Bag". LOL. It was cold that day I dumped and a friend's sweatshirt made all the difference to keep me warm so I make sure to never go without backup.
Yep, I have some of those on some bigger rods. On these smaller rods they are just big enough to interfere with the line. That sucks about losing a rod you made. I am very careful with my phone. It's waterproof but if I had dropped it I never would have found it. I have one of those clear bag things with a lanyard that sometimes I will wear around my neck. But it really interferes with operating the phone, so a lot of times I don't use it.

oh my. Definitely need a floating rod
I'm not sure if watching them run away downstream would have been better than watching them sink ;)

Guys, We're big boys and girls now, lol, we can buy dry bags. I keep clothing, rain gear and snap in Nav lights in my dry bag and if I fall in it will also be a flotation bag.
Good Stories.
I learned from Melvin. After that day I kept a change of clothes in an abnormally large ziplock bag in the front hatch of the Ride. That thing had a front hatch like the trunk on a 1970s cadillac. The Vibe is much smaller and almost nothing fits in it.

Lucky for me it was warm enough that being wet wasn't a problem. I did have a change of clothes back at the car, but I didn't need it.

Ouch that sucks sorry I wasn’t there to save your gear this time.As for rod holders my yak has the same tubes as yours but I never use them I’ve got two rod holders mounted directly in front of me on my center section laying flat not pointing up and clothes I carry a complete change in a dry bag stuffed in the body of my yak.Little note when coming into a section of water that I know that I’m going to need to turn out of I start pointing the nose of my yak to start with float to that area semi preturned and then paddle hard when I get to the nessary angle
I mainly use the two Scotty's all the way forward in the tracks. I turn them different directions depending on what I am doing. At that point I was, again, doing something stupid, and it cost me. I also use the rear rod holders to store rods not in use. The front flush mounts I have only really used trolling or while rigging.

I still had a great time and if I could turn back time to not lose the rods but not have the trip I wouldn't do it. Besides, now I clearly need to buy two new combos ;)

truecrimson

Oh, this kayak tracks like a dradle. Normally it isn't a problem but it probably isn't the best choice for fast water and any rapids at all. It tends to turn and be unable to be corrected. Then you just have to continue to turn 360 degrees.

Melvinp

Oh, this kayak tracks like a dradle. Normally it isn't a problem but it probably isn't the best choice for fast water and any rapids at all. It tends to turn and be unable to be corrected. Then you just have to continue to turn 360 degrees.
Sounds like a vortex current hitting a hard corner will create a whirlpool I’ve ran into that a few times and either paddle close to shore or just hold on and let it spin me around just have to keep very centered in the seat and try not to move.

Blackcat Outdoors

Two words: Rod Leash. 😁

I lost a pretty decent setup on pine creek earlier this year and started using them anytime I'm not holding the rod.

Don

I had a great day. Was supposed to fish Blue Marsh but TC had an emergency so I went to the Giving Pond for a few hours to use up bait and test some gear. Caught a bunch of the usual suspects, bass, gills and crappie.
The most rewarding catch was the 4lb/22" Channel It was quite a fun little tussle. Caught on a beetle spin with 1/4oz jig tipped with 2" Keitech minnow and a small piece of nightcrawler for scent in the muddy water.
I used a reel that I had rebuilt and it is older than all of you. It performed very well on a medium duty 6' rod. 10lb line 6lb tippet. I can even imagine what a Salmon or steelhead would be like.
All of this took place while trolling in the open water slow as I could drift on the wind or while moving upwind under electric power.

Attachments

• IMG_1587.JPG
    IMG_1587.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1586.JPG
    IMG_1586.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1585.JPG
    IMG_1585.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 8

A-5

I sit here waiting for daylight. Salmon is on the docket. Yea it’s early. But here I sit